anti-freeze

ynnad

Featured Posts

any antifreeze will stop your engine from being destroyed by ice. The modern antifreeze also stop corrosion with the reaction between aluminium and cast iron. I used to throw a gallon or two of consentrate into the system depending on if I had had a hose pipe burst. The engine will get cold depending on the protection from the boat shell and how many times a week you run it. Drain the domesic water system by closing your stop cock from the tank, opening the taps and draining your gas water heater. In 25 years of boating I had one freeze which popped a compresion fitting on the sink tap.

You shouldn't need a special type for that engine, but be aware that there are 2 common sorts on sale that don't mix.

They are usually different colours, I believe blue and red/orange. Mixing them apparently causes formation of a gel that can bung up cooling circuits.

It's easiest to go with whichever sort is in your engine now. You need to worry less about flushing the old stuff out completely then.

The blue sort has a shorter life and is cheaper.

How about "Bluecol U" ?

Bluecol U is a universal top up antifreeze and coolant which is suitable for use in all vehicles and will mix with all colours of antifreeze already in the radiator/expansion tank. When Bluecol U is added to the antifreeze already in the cooling system, the synthetic process and additive package enhances and revitalizes the qualities of the original fluid, providing exceptional all year round protection in all driving conditions.

Ray

Never mix the blue and pink anti freeze. This will cause alot of problems. If you know what was used before colour wise, stick to that. It is virtually impossible to drain out all the old fluid, which should be a 50/50 mix and replaced every 2 to 3 years, but worth the effort. We get ours from a motor factors in larger quantaties and thus cheaper than buying from a high street or petrol station outlet. same applies for the central heating if you have the likes of a Webasto or Eber system.

Never mix the blue and pink anti freeze. This will cause alot of problems. If you know what was used before colour wise, stick to that. It is virtually impossible to drain out all the old fluid, which should be a 50/50 mix and replaced every 2 to 3 years, but worth the effort. We get ours from a motor factors in larger quantaties and thus cheaper than buying from a high street or petrol station outlet. same applies for the central heating if you have the likes of a Webasto or Eber system.

I disagree with the above. If you wish to change the antifreeze type from blue to orange, all that is necessary is to drain down, refill with water run the engine, drain down again, refill with water again, run the engine again, drain down and finally refill with long life (red/orange) antifreeze.

Some longlife types, e.g. Ford premium, last for 10 years rather than 2 for the blue type, and in my opinion it is worth the effort of changing.

Why change it at all?

Why not wait until it no longer provides anti freexing and corrosion properties! lots of rubbish talked from suppliers change every two years ????

Coolant in boat my heating now 7 years old still fine tested down to -18C and test metals still shiny and bright, ditto car also 7 years old

This is a real life actual test, ie coolant in freezer and sample metals as used in c/h and car immersed in coolant (sample changed every winter when freezer testing)

Test it before chucking it

Ray

ps did not do same on boat engine as I wanted to flush the system in case there was any weld/build rubbish in the skin tanks etc

R