Cheap Boat Hire

Degu

Featured Posts

After looking at living afloat for the past 18 months and still thinking its a great idea me and my wife want to try hiring a narrowboat in Feburary.

The main issue we are having is that a lot of the hire companies are offering very nice modern boats when what we want is an older boat (late 80's early 90's) to refect the age of the boat we might be buying. Also want it to be as cheap as possible. This is going on the basis of if me, my wife and son (will be 8 months old in feb) enjoy being on a old boat in February then living afloat becomes a lot closer!

Not many hire companies will admit to having a fleet of elderly boats!

However, some do. Union Canal Carriers in Rugby is a well thought-of company which certainly has some old-stagers (with rather nice old Sabb engines) in their fleet. I do not know if they will hire one out in February, but there's only one way for you to find out!

I don't know where you are based but if you are not far from the Lancaster Canal try that.

Its a very easy canal as a starter with no locks and only the odd bridge to move.

I always wanted to cruise the Lancaster and did so last Easter in a hire boat from Snails Pace.Google it.

A very straight forward boat that fits the spec that you have described.

The boat is hired on a first come basis at a fixed daily rate so you can book what you want. Weekend, week or midweek.

I agree with the rest, where do you want to hire, you don't say? You also need to hire a boat with a stove too, and a lot of hire companies don't have them. To me the age of the boat is totally unimportant it's the type of boat and level of equipment that matters not the age of the hull. Hire boats are usually laid out to get the maximum number of bodies on board where owned boats are laid out for living on so irrespective of the boat's age a hire boat will probably never be anything like the kind of boat you'll end up buying. I'd focus on the price and the experience rather than the boat's age.

K

Claymoore Narrowboats based at Preston Brook on the the Bridgewater Canal rent out boats all year round.

They have one called 'Ruby Tuesday' which is primarily laid out for a couple, around 57' but has just one double berth and you could easily put a cot in for your child. It has a stove, as well as diesel central heating.

Edited by NB Ellisiana

You

Bettisford boats and Maestermyn cruisers (on the Llangollen) are quite cheap. I think the Llangollen is in its winter stoppage period though, so you won't get far at the moment.

Should read Bettisfield Boats.; Also the Llangollen is unlikely to freeze as it has a good flow and will be the last to freeze up.

Thanks for the replys so far. I live near nottingham so anyway in the Midlands really. I did think about the Lancaster Canal but my wife has said she would like to have a go at locks as part of this.

That's the Ashby Canal ruled out then - a pity, as they have a well-respected hire fleet on there.

Thanks for the replys so far. I live near nottingham so anyway in the Midlands really. I did think about the Lancaster Canal but my wife has said she would like to have a go at locks as part of this.

Not sure of their ages but try Shakespeare narrow boats (I think now called avanti ) from Mercia Marina at Willington. Only 40 mins from Nottingham.