Rescued from Obscurity

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

This is shameless plug for one of the most imaginative, innovative and generally go-ahead canal trusts in the land!

The Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal Trust (www.h-g-canal.org.uk), feeling that an updated version of their restoration saga was well overdue, have just published Rescued from Obscurity – subtitled ....... 'the continuing story of the Hereford & Gloucester Canal'.

As always their timing is immaculate as this 200 page book – packed with images, old and new, in both colour and black & white – arrives just in time for Christmas and represents fantastic value for money. It can be obtained from the Herefordshire and Gloucester Canal Trust, 18 Coningsby Court, Coningsby Street, Hereford HR1 2DF – £12.00 including P&P. It can also be purchased from the Wharf House Visitor Centre at Over Basin.

I would add the usual disclaimers – except that I am a (proud) life member of the trust (albeit a very inactive one) and, almost as we speak, working my way through the incredible diversity of content of this valuable addition to our waterways literature.

An excellent "plug" for the book, Mr. Down, and I hope it sells many copies. Do some of the proceeds from its sales go to the Trust? I suspect so but you don't say so. I think it's also reviewed in one of the boatimags this month which should also help.

Lacking a better quip at short notice, I hope the book bowls its readers Over.

Edited by Athy

An excellent "plug" for the book, Mr. Down, and I hope it sells many copies. Do some of the proceeds from its sales go to the Trust? I suspect so but you don't say so. I think it's also reviewed in one of the boatimags this month which should also help.

Lacking a better quip at short notice, I hope the book bowls its readers Over.

This is, indeed, a good point Athy - so I got straight back to those that know about these things, and this is the response:

"The only cost to the Trust is the (very competitive!) print cost. Once we cover that it's 100% to H&G CT funds.

"Of the dozens of late corrections one of a few that got missed (that to my mind were important) was to add in a note that all proceeds were to H&G CT funds - annoying"!

So there you have it ......... straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Edited by Up-Side-Down

The horse (and the rest of the team) at the Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal Trust (www.h-g-canal.org.uk) really appreciate the interest in the H&G CT's new book Rescued from Obscurity - the continuing story of the Hereford & Gloucester Canal. As Mr Down says it makes a great present for just £10.

Two tips from the horses mouth - should you be travelling to Over Canal Basin to The Wharf House to pick up a copy (or two!) of the book from the visitor centre at our award winning restaurant with rooms (all profits used for the promotion and restoration of the H&G Canal) please check first that they are open as winter and Christmas opening times apply www.thewharfhouse.co.uk

Also, some satnavs will direct you to the wrong side of the A40 dual carriageway - the grid reference SO 816197 will get you safely there - cannot guarantee that the horse will be there though! Otherwise a cheque for £12 to the address given by Mr Down will get a copy swiftly on its way in time for Christmas.

Over and out - happy reading - and thank you.

This is shameless plug for one of the most imaginative, innovative and generally go-ahead canal trusts in the land!

The Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal Trust (www.h-g-canal.org.uk), feeling that an updated version of their restoration saga was well overdue, have just published Rescued from Obscurity – subtitled ....... 'the continuing story of the Hereford & Gloucester Canal'.

As always their timing is immaculate as this 200 page book – packed with images, old and new, in both colour and black & white – arrives just in time for Christmas and represents fantastic value for money. It can be obtained from the Herefordshire and Gloucester Canal Trust, 18 Coningsby Court, Coningsby Street, Hereford HR1 2DF – £12.00 including P&P. It can also be purchased from the Wharf House Visitor Centre at Over Basin.

I would add the usual disclaimers – except that I am a (proud) life member of the trust (albeit a very inactive one) and, almost as we speak, working my way through the incredible diversity of content of this valuable addition to our waterways literature.

There is a review of this book in the latest Waterways World

Tim

Time for an unashamed bump methinks!

Obviously,when visiting Over Basin you will take a walk along the restored section. Very impressive what has been done so far .I visited in the summer while moored in Gloucester Dock. Pleasant bike ride or half hour walk from the dock to Over Basin. Must have been "interesting" locking down into the tidal Severn in the winter with a horse drawn narrow boat?.

Obviously,when visiting Over Basin you will take a walk along the restored section. Very impressive what has been done so far .I visited in the summer while moored in Gloucester Dock. Pleasant bike ride or half hour walk from the dock to Over Basin. Must have been "interesting" locking down into the tidal Severn in the winter with a horse drawn narrow boat?.

"Interesting" it was!

How it was done - and eqally importantly - how it will be safely done in the future (complete with one of what Waterways World describe as "clear, concise maps") is all in the new book Rescued from Obscurity. Part of the solution has already been achieved when H&G CT grasped the opportunity to purchase the defunct Llanthony Lock and cottages from British Waterways, together with adjacent land, and secured rights (explained in the book!) that will be crucial to the successful long-term outcome...linking a restored H&G Canal to the inland waterways network at Gloucester.

Enjoying this as a pre-Christmas read – recommended!

Having got most of the way through this book now (I'm taking it very slowly as there's a wealth of fascinating information to digest) I'm amazed by the wealth of pictures, maps, illustrations and image material in general. How they've managed to pack so much in for the price is quite beyond me. It's certainly very good value for money indeed.

Today, whilst reading Rescued from Obscurity, I learned that apart from winning accolades for its accommodation and cuisine The Wharf House, at Over Wharf, has the largest roof-mounted solar array in Gloucestershire – 94 panels in total, confirming the Herefordshire and Gloucestershire Canal Trust's commitment to sustainability. Try that lot on a narrowboat!!