best shower ?

ukdiggerboy

Featured Posts

Firstly, maybe being a bit pedantic, technically a Morco is not a boiler - it is an instantaneous water heater - it simply raises the temperature of water passing through it by more or less a fixed amount, depending only on how fast that water is going through.

I think the general view is that if this is your sole source of water for a shower, you are best not having any kind of thermostatic mixer as part of the shower itself.

In all honesty, using Morcos (or similar) for showers is a bit unsophisticated, as their throughput is relatively low anyway, but, if water is allowed to flow through them fast enough, and the inlet water is cold enough, they may not actually raise the temperature enough to give a very strong shower that is piping hot.

Usually the best technique in my experience, is to turn the hot tap on fully to get maximum flow through the Morco, and introduce a small amount of cold tap to regulate the temperature. In summer with warmer inlet water, you will need more cold tap, but in winter, if you are drawing very cold water from your main cold tank into the Morco inlet then it is not impossible you will not wish to add any cold to the heatedwater coming out of the Morco, which may well be only just warm enough, (depending on many factors, including personal preference, of course!).

Don't use a mixer, keep the hot and cold separate and experiment with the temperature on the Morco until you get the right balance. I seem to remember form a couple of boats back that with a mixer, when it reaches the desired temperature, it can slow the hot flow enough for the Morco to stop firing above tickover so to speak, resulting in a cold surge that always hits the bits you'd rather it didn't!

I have a calorifier (hot water tank) but I prefer to minimise my water consumption so I have reduced my shower from a stinging (possibly scalding) 'power shower' to a gentle spray. For your instantaneous water heater you need a fine spray head that will not restrict the flow to the point that the Morco shuts down.

In a house I and my wife would each leave the shower running for 5 minutes and our two teenagers each for 10 minutes; ~150 litres per day.

1/ Wet down (10 seconds), turn shower off.

2/ Shampoo, soap and scrub.

3/ Turn shower on and rinse (20 seconds).

4/ Luxuriate in hot (40°C) water, if your Morco can supply it, for another 20 seconds.

One, clean, warm body for 5 litres of water.

Alan

When they have them in stock Lidl rain type shower head with additional hand shower is good I paired it with an Italian ceramic single leaver mixer tap (2 in one out) from Ebay. by ajusting the temperature you can get the best jet of water.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GROHE-BAUEDGE-MISCELATORE-INCASSO-DOCCIA-CHROME-BUILT-IN-SHOWER-MIXER-/221225448839?pt=Altri_Elettrodomestici&hash=item3382107587

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

I have a Valliant gas water heater (and calorifier). The shower mixer obviously works best when drawing water from the calorifier - as does the rest of the hot water system, but it works from the valliant too. I can still get a decent shower - it's just not as consistent as the calorifier..

I have a Rinnai gas water heater. With a non thermostatic mixer, the temp varied so much the shower was unusable. With a thermostatic mixer valve, it's fine. Water pressure has never dropped to the point where the Rinnai cuts out.

. Same as you I run a rinnai through a thermostatic mixer valve and it's more consistent than the electric showers in the marina, never had a problem

Firstly, maybe being a bit pedantic, technically a Morco is not a boiler - it is an instantaneous water heater - it simply raises the temperature of water passing through it by more or less a fixed amount, depending only on how fast that water is going through.

I think the general view is that if this is your sole source of water for a shower, you are best not having any kind of thermostatic mixer as part of the shower itself.

In all honesty, using Morcos (or similar) for showers is a bit unsophisticated, as their throughput is relatively low anyway, but, if water is allowed to flow through them fast enough, and the inlet water is cold enough, they may not actually raise the temperature enough to give a very strong shower that is piping hot.

Usually the best technique in my experience, is to turn the hot tap on fully to get maximum flow through the Morco, and introduce a small amount of cold tap to regulate the temperature. In summer with warmer inlet water, you will need more cold tap, but in winter, if you are drawing very cold water from your main cold tank into the Morco inlet then it is not impossible you will not wish to add any cold to the heatedwater coming out of the Morco, which may well be only just warm enough, (depending on many factors, including personal preference, of course!).

thanks for that alan as the boat has a sr3 in it i cant use a calorifier and as it had this brand new morcos in it i thought id use it , ive got a stove in there aswell and was thinking of an erberspasher to run three rads? not enough room for a calorifier because of the air ducting for the engine, also gives me a few different sources of heat and then the hot water comes from the gas ?

Gary

did wonder about the thermastatic thats why i said i think a straight forward mixer would be the way ahead