Has anyone "tracking" device?

Pykebird

Featured Posts

I've got a gps gsm tracker on one of my boats.

send it a text message and if the sim can send texts out and has a phone signal and gps signal it will send its position back to the sender.

It does work, quite well really but its not 'realtime' tracking its just for making sure it is in the place where it was previously left.

GT02 gps tracker

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-portable-Car-Tracker-GPS-GSM-GPRS-Tracking-Device-Tracker-TK110-GT02-/371036465257?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item56637f2869

that

the message you have to send it may be a bit tricky to work out but I found googling it a lot ended up finding the right format. something like DWXX,0000# or something equally baffling

As title says I am looking for a tracking device and wondered if anyone had already installed or used one they could recommend. I don't need an alarm system just the ability to track if needed, thanks in advance.

I used to use a trammel iron or optical device for wheel alignment. But I suggest it'd be best to take your car to the garage to get the tracking done.

Or did you want to track a parcel to be delivered by a courier. unsure.png

If you wanted to track a boat while someone else was using it I think a gps enabled smart phone with tracking software might be better because it would also store a route and other details on it where a simple tracker will just text you the location.

I think you can get online live viewing of these things but its probably a paid service :unsure:

I used to use a trammel iron or optical device for wheel alignment. But I suggest it'd be best to take your car to the garage to get the tracking done.

Or did you want to track a parcel to be delivered by a courier. unsure.png

propeller shaft alignment?

eta I suppose they might be going to switch off GSM at some point ? not sure if the tracker would work on modern networks so it may become obselete

Mine is mounted inside an ECS roof "ventilite" so it has a direct view of the sky for the gps signal. The perfect way to mount one would be in a IP68 plastic box fixed to the (outside of) roof with sikaflex or something, that way it has maximum chance of a signal on both gps and gsm smile.png

I don't know how they react to low temperatures, I suppose it says that in the manual?

eta manual says its down to -20 so fine in UK (I hope so anyway !!)

Edited by magnetman

Mine is mounted inside an ECS roof "ventilite" so it has a direct view of the sky for the gps signal. The perfect way to mount one would be in a IP68 plastic box fixed to the (outside of) roof with sikaflex or something, that way it has maximum chance of a signal on both gps and gsm smile.png

I don't know how they react to low temperatures, I suppose it says that in the manual?

eta manual says its down to -20 so fine in UK (I hope so anyway !!)

It'll be fine so long as you don't buy the Daily Express.

Tim

If you have a redundant old smartphone, there's a free Android App called MaxMon which might do what you're looking for. It can email or text an alert if the boat moves more than a specified distance fron the Lat-Long it was moored at and I believe it will inform you of the new Lat-Long at specified intervals too. I have recentlu installed it on an old phone and have been messing about with it at home to see iif it's worth bothering with, in my case to alert me if shore power drops off when I'm not there (if I have the fridge running or similar). Someone on here may be able to give you more info or the benefit of their experience.

A phone would do the job but if the boat is left unattended and off grid in terms of power then it might be a bit power-hungry compared with a simple tracker. I don't know how much power a phone would use but without a bit of modification it would need to be plugged into a charger which is going to consume power. The charger could possibly be on a timer so that it uses less power. If the boat is on mains then yes I think a smart phone is better than a tracker in a lot of ways because it has more processing power and can store information and even be used as a remote camera if the network is good enough :)

If you have a redundant old smartphone, there's a free Android App called MaxMon which might do what you're looking for. It can email or text an alert if the boat moves more than a specified distance fron the Lat-Long it was moored at and I believe it will inform you of the new Lat-Long at specified intervals too. I have recentlu installed it on an old phone and have been messing about with it at home to see iif it's worth bothering with, in my case to alert me if shore power drops off when I'm not there (if I have the fridge running or similar). Someone on here may be able to give you more info or the benefit of their experience.

Pyke I have a duff old smartphone you could have if you want to go this route- it is no good for calling as the phone has to be on speakerphone to hear, as the ear audio has failed, but everything else on it is fine.

Like most smartphones, it does need to be put on charge pretty often, or left plugged in if not in use for a time.