Oxford canal @ bridge 193 - 6 months??

frangar

Featured Posts

Cheers for the further info…tbh just saw 6 months emergency closure so thought it best to post straight away!…..will see if I can read it better once I get some better internet!

Cheers

Gareth

edited to add…..

the email now I've read it properly (!!) says navigation and towpath open but the website has a red line along the canal……and doesn't say whats open or shut!

Sorry if Ive panicked anyone!!

Edited by frangar

A bit weird. I passed through there yesterday and there didn't appear to be anything obviously wrong with it. A couple of small "CRT Aware" signs attached and some token plastic fencing on the offside.

I spent a while looking at is trying to figure out what needed fixing then lost interest and carried on my way.

MtB

Cheers for the further info…tbh just saw 6 months emergency closure so thought it best to post straight away!…..will see if I can read it better once I get some better internet!

Cheers

Gareth

edited to add…..

the email now I've read it properly (!!) says navigation and towpath open but the website has a red line along the canal……and doesn't say whats open or shut!

Sorry if Ive panicked anyone!!

Only briefly

I'm hoping to go past there over Christmas

That is a badly presented stoppage notice, it really should make it clear that is is just the use of the bridge for crossing the canal that is closed and not the navigation. Nowhere, on either the web page or the email, does it say that the navigation is open that I can see.

BTW, is this the one that has had plastic fencing round it for sometime, I am sure there was one like that in the summer.

That is a badly presented stoppage notice, it really should make it clear that is is just the use of the bridge for crossing the canal that is closed and not the navigation. Nowhere, on either the web page or the email, does it say that the navigation is open that I can see.

BTW, is this the one that has had plastic fencing round it for sometime, I am sure there was one like that in the summer.

Yes, see above (post no.5).

Is it a 'stoppage' if the navigation remains open? If the bridge cannot be crossed by pedestrians, surely some other term should be used, such as 'bridge unavailable to pedestrians'? Officialese often misses out important words as well as misusing others!

Yes, see above (post no.5).

Is it a 'stoppage' if the navigation remains open? If the bridge cannot be crossed by pedestrians, surely some other term should be used, such as 'bridge unavailable to pedestrians'? Officialese often misses out important words as well as misusing others!

But with reference to post 5, I don't see where it actually says that the navigation and towpath remain open even in the email.

If MtB says' it's open, that's good enough for me wink.png

Quite, and if you read the email with the fact that it is open in mind, then it reads ok (it says the bridge is closed), but it really does not make it clear at all that the navigation is open throughout. Hello CRT, are you taking note....... biggrin.png

Maybe they were! Just had this email!

Notice Alert

Oxford Canal
Starts At: Bridge 193, Chisnell Lift Bridge
Ends At: Bridge 193, Chisnell Lift Bridge

Monday 17 November 2014 10:45 until further notice

Type: Advice
Reason: Repair

Update on 18/11/2014:

Amendment to Notice: to confirm the navigation and towpath are open, however the path over the bridge is closed.

Notice of Temporary Traffic Order

Souldern Footpath No.11 Bridge Closure

Closure commenced: 30 October 2014

Date of Order: 17 November 2014

This Order continues in force the emergency closure of part of Souldern Footpath 11 because of an unsafe wooden bridge due to water erosion.

The effect of the Order is to close the Footpath (southeast of Clifton and west of the rail line) where it crosses the bridge.

It is anticipated it will take 3 to 6 months for remedial work to be completed.

Exemptions are included for emergency services and for remedial works and for access to adjacent property which is only accessible from the closed section of Footpath.

The alternative route is North along the canal towpath (351/19) to just North of Wharf Farm, East along Wharf Lane towards Souldern, then South-eastwards along Footpaths 351/17 and 351/18 to footpath 351/1, or vice versa.

This Order will remain in force for a maximum period of six months or until the works have been completed whichever is the sooner.