Rubber or silicon hoses on BMC 1.5?

jhodgski

Featured Posts

The rubber hoses on my engine look like they have seen better days, and I've heard that silicon hoses are better.

So is it OK to replace my rubber hoses for silicon ones or are there any issues with the boat safety certificate or anything like that?

Cheers,

James

Depends very much upon what you mean by "better". Silicon hoses seem very popular with the "hot rod" an "pimp my car" brigade but unless I was intending to keep the hoses well oiled I would look at cost & life. ordinary hoses seem to last fer years as long as sthey do not get covered in oil/fuel.

When you try to take an old rubber hose its sometimes a bit stuck on, this is the advantage of rubber!

Silicon does not stick so there is an increased chance of the hose working loose, but they do look good.

This knowledge is based on web surfing (when I was replacing hoses) so might be crap, it is not based on first hand experience.

Sounds plausible though.

...........Dave