Colecraft Hull...... fitted out by Narrowcraft circa 1990/1992

dekker

Featured Posts

Anyone on here either got or has experienced a boat similar to the above.

I know there were several boats in a fleet fitted out by Peter Pratt. Named after Space Shuttles

I am asking to find out how Colecraft hulls have stood the test of 20ish years.

I have a friend who has seen one offered for sale so just getting a feel for possible wear and tear.

We were chandlery suppliers to Colecraft and Peter Pratt at that time (Boatman's Cabin Co Ltd) and can assure you that both parties were partial to using best materials. Colecraft hulls imo were built without compromise and were as respected then as they are now.

Anyone on here either got or has experienced a boat similar to the above.

I know there were several boats in a fleet fitted out by Peter Pratt. Named after Space Shuttles

I am asking to find out how Colecraft hulls have stood the test of 20ish years.

I have a friend who has seen one offered for sale so just getting a feel for possible wear and tear.

I've got a 30 year old Colecraft hull. They were built properly to begin with. What's going to make the difference to the boat you're looking at is how it's been looked after in the last 20 years, where it's been kept etc. No way of telling what the one your friend's been offered is like without getting it out of the water.

Have had experience of Colecraft for around 14 years now. Our own boat that we designed & built from new is a Colecraft and now 8 years old, and have experience of other builds over the years. Should I be mad enough to commission another shell, I have told my wife to put me in the loony bin if I do, there is only one place I would go. There are others that would probably join me. Dom & Sam have survived over the decades which shows how good their product is. True that the shell has to be looked after, but would have confidence in a 20 year old Colecraft.

Tyto Alba is a 1988 Colecraft fitted out by Rugby Boatbuilders. The hull is very good - it has had small areas of plating but I would expect this on boat that for over 20years was effectively a hire boat - it handles very well, has good underwater shape with long swims. here are a few pictures taken when out of the water in 2013.

IMG_1881_zps60bc0af2.jpg

IMG_1880_zpsad12fbeb.jpg

IMG_1877lr_zpsa31e98f3.jpg

Not certain if all Colecraft have such a substantial skeg.

For information Tyto is 62ft long.

About 4 small patches on the 'rub points' for the hull.By looking closely at the stern view you can see one at the bottom plate to side junction and another at the water line above the uxter plate. This has been done on both sides

Edited by Richard T

Our 1986 Colecraft hull is in excellent condition.We gave it an ultrasound test a few weeks back and virtually all the readings showed the same thickness as the original plate. We found a very small number of pits and the worst was 4.1mm in 6mm plate. The boat has been blacked every couple of years since new.

Our 1988 Colecraft needed similar build up at a couple of rubbing points where the wear plate on the bottom had worn and a couple of pits following survey last year. The skeg is the same as the one shown. Apart from that she is as good as new.

Edited by captain birdseye