Newbies - just starting our boating journey!

timetex

Featured Posts

Isn't that just painted T&G sides, painted T&G roof and painted T&G 'end wall' with a wooden floor, - which is not an unusual fit out

I know this boat as the guys were fitting her out when I worked at Redhill. As it was built to the exact customers request, the finished look was not to everyone's taste! Great workmanship but to me too much wasted space, but that's how she (the client), wanted it

CALABASH%200006.jpg

Timetex

Too much wood ??

In a similar boat the panels were different shades of green in a progressive way from light to even more light.

It is not paint as such more a wash so that the grain shows.

I know this boat as the guys were fitting her out when I worked at Redhill. As it was built to the exact customers request, the finished look was not to everyone's taste! Great workmanship but to me too much wasted space, but that's how she (the client), wanted it

That's good to hear! (the workmanship, that is...)

They fit largely widebeam liveaboards by the looks of it, where space isn't quite such an issue. We want to keep everything looking light and airy, but storage is a real 'must' even though we won't be living on ours.

One of the ideas I'm looking at (something again missing from the Aqua hireboat) is a full height cupboard BEFORE you get into the galley itself, which will act as welly / coat / hat / dog lead storage, with its own section of finrad at the bottom to help dry any wet gear left in there, and ventilation to keep the air moving. Somewhere to put the big coats and boots is a must.

Also looking to get wardrobes in the bedroom - but what other good ideas do people have for storage? I've seen:

* pull out drawers in dinette bases (or a chest freezer) - both accessed without having to lift cushions

* bottle (wine) storage in floor void in the galley (surely the inland waterways don't stay cold enough for white wine!)

CALABASH%200006.jpg

Timetex

Too much wood ??

In a similar boat the panels were different shades of green in a progressive way from light to even more light.

It is not paint as such more a wash so that the grain shows.

It is lovely, and I admire it - but yes, it would be too much wood for my/our vision... :)

I have the book, but all the photos are in b&w which is not very helpful!

I did see Kottingham in the flesh a couple of years ago and seem to remember some coloured panels (light green?) inside.

Yes, they were light green - sounds yukky, but looked appropriate - well the pictures did.

The revamped edition of the book - or the article that later appeared in WW had some colour pictures. I have both filed away somewhere - so can't find them (smiley).

As a hire boat, the Aqua we took out stacked up very well against others I've been on - but I'm not sure it was the right vehicle (excuse the pun) to show off what Justin is capable of. I'm not here to knock anyone's ideas, least of all the Aqua boat, but there were some design decisions made for that boat which did leave me wondering and scratching my head.

I'll throw in some examples:

* stern / bow doors both 'stable' variety - so each set needed a full 4 bolts to draw - and there was no way to latch the stern doors except from inside, so when leaving the boat, it had to be from the bow. Unusual?

* entry in from the stern doors was down steps to the right which disappeared straight under the roofline with no headroom. I'm 6'4" so couldn't get up and down them comfortably at all. My other half is 5'0" and even she struggled. There has to be a better way to get through the main doors than that!

* (this one is definitely a 'hire boat' issue) the dinette was very, very uncomfortable to sit on, and was the only seating in the boat (aside from the double bed)

I also wasn't a fan of the 'look' of the semi-cruiser stern, although I have to say the dog loved it, as she could stand / lie on the lockers and look out under the guard rail. However, there wasn't anywhere to put a cup of coffee / plate of bacon butties anywhere 'safe' within reach of the tiller, which is something I'd need to change! :)

We're having a boat built by Aqua and none of those things feature in our boat. Justin builds bespoke boats and you can choose whatever you want (within reason). Have a look on the website and the Facebook page to see what other customers have had in the past. I can honestly say that Justin has been great to work with and so far every step of the process has been a pleasure!

Thanks for the welcomes!

Actually, ditchcrawler, some wallpaper may make an appearance on ours too... we'll see.

XR&D are already on my list of builders, and I've already been emailing Garry & Lee who are (I have to say) great at getting back in touch and very informative. On the opposite side of the spectrum, getting information out of Tyler Wilson is proving a little less easy.

As a hire boat, the Aqua we took out stacked up very well against others I've been on - but I'm not sure it was the right vehicle (excuse the pun) to show off what Justin is capable of. I'm not here to knock anyone's ideas, least of all the Aqua boat, but there were some design decisions made for that boat which did leave me wondering and scratching my head.

I'll throw in some examples:

* stern / bow doors both 'stable' variety - so each set needed a full 4 bolts to draw - and there was no way to latch the stern doors except from inside, so when leaving the boat, it had to be from the bow. Unusual?

* entry in from the stern doors was down steps to the right which disappeared straight under the roofline with no headroom. I'm 6'4" so couldn't get up and down them comfortably at all. My other half is 5'0" and even she struggled. There has to be a better way to get through the main doors than that!

* (this one is definitely a 'hire boat' issue) the dinette was very, very uncomfortable to sit on, and was the only seating in the boat (aside from the double bed)

I also wasn't a fan of the 'look' of the semi-cruiser stern, although I have to say the dog loved it, as she could stand / lie on the lockers and look out under the guard rail. However, there wasn't anywhere to put a cup of coffee / plate of bacon butties anywhere 'safe' within reach of the tiller, which is something I'd need to change! smile.png

Hi Timetex

Hope you enjoyed your holiday with us. Just to point out that our hire boats are very much different to our Bespoke Boats - emphasis on the word 'Bespoke' i.e we'll build you whatever you want, tailored to suit your individual needs & requirements.

Most hire boats are a compromise and are designed for multiply hire groups - families, friends, couples etc.. and therefore what suits you may not suit someone else. We sometimes get customers coming back saying that we should or shouldn't have this or that on board, the comments are all provided and taken in good spirit - but these comments are normally the total opposite of what the previous customer said! However we know we're doing something right as we operate at over 85% occupancy with lots of returning customers.

Although our hire boats are very well built there certainly not the same as our bespoke boats, therefore don't take what you saw as the only thing we are capable of - far from it. Why didn't you ask us to show you on board some of the bespoke boats we've built?

Check out the next issue of Waterways World - which will have an extensive review of one of our bespoke boats. Also we fitted out narrowboat Honesty (the 100th Norton Canes Shell) - this had a full Boatman's cabin, you couldn't get further away from a hire boat!

That's good to hear! (the workmanship, that is...)

They fit largely widebeam liveaboards by the looks of it, where space isn't quite such an issue. We want to keep everything looking light and airy, but storage is a real 'must' even though we won't be living on ours.

One of the ideas I'm looking at (something again missing from the Aqua hireboat) is a full height cupboard BEFORE you get into the galley itself, which will act as welly / coat / hat / dog lead storage, with its own section of finrad at the bottom to help dry any wet gear left in there, and ventilation to keep the air moving. Somewhere to put the big coats and boots is a must.

Also looking to get wardrobes in the bedroom - but what other good ideas do people have for storage? I've seen:

* pull out drawers in dinette bases (or a chest freezer) - both accessed without having to lift cushions

* bottle (wine) storage in floor void in the galley (surely the inland waterways don't stay cold enough for white wine!)

It is lovely, and I admire it - but yes, it would be too much wood for my/our vision... smile.png

...and yes we also provide heated lockers in the galley on the bespoke boats too..check out the stacks of bespoke boat photos on our facebook page!

P.s do you know how many calories are in a bacon butty! To work those locks you need to make sure you're in peak physical fitness! biggrin.png

Known as an "engine room" on many boats. For "section of finrad" read "engine".

Edited by Athy

Known as an "engine room" on many boats. For "section of finrad" read "engine".

Haha yes!

If I'm being honest, if I was designing the boat "just for me", it would have a lovely old engine, polished and painted, going 'chug chug chug'. And a tug front end. That's my personal "ideal", but this is a joint project and I'm "not allowed" to take up a whole engine-room's worth of interior space, more's the pity! Beta 43 under the deck will have to suffice :(

Hi Justin :)

The holiday was excellent - even with the tail end of the hurricane making for a very windy day on the Saturday, and an "interesting" entry back into Mercia on the Tuesday morning!

My intention wasn't to knock 'Aqua' in any way, and I hope it didn't come across like that. It was a lovely boat with some great features, but I just happened to focus on some examples of parts which I didn't feel quite worked, and they weren't necessarily specific to it being a 'hire boat' - although, granted, the dinette instead of comfy chairs is always going to be the hire-boat choice.

I did ask to see some of your bespoke boats when I booked, but nobody was able to show me around on either the Tuesday or the Saturday (I think Inkling had gone out with her new owners for a shakedown cruise as we saw her on our way back) - which is a real shame, but unavoidable I guess.

I'm sure your bespoke boats ARE a completely different kettle of fish - and I'm a total novice when it comes to 'designing' an interior that works, or features that are needed. There are many, many decisions which I would rely on both the shell builder and the fitout company to make for me, or at least to guide me on.

Perhaps you can share the design decision behind the dog-leg stairs on Aqua Vivo, so it is impossible to stand upright and walk down them, even if you are 5'0"! You must gain something else by doing this?

Nah, takes up far too much under-deck space. Engine rooms ARE space-effective because they are also toolsheds, boot stores, laundry drying rooms etc.

You're definitely preaching to the choir on this one. Its my missus you would need to convince. *I* can't!

I like Aqua fit outs and have seen some of the bespoke boats at Crick as well as viewing the sponsored fleet. They clearly know what they are doing and are good at working with customers. I know that from personal experience whilst at Mercia.

The key to good fitters is to understand the owners needs and advise accordingly. The worst a fitter can do is not advise a customer if they think a design idea is wrong.

• Greenie 1

Hi Justin smile.png

The holiday was excellent - even with the tail end of the hurricane making for a very windy day on the Saturday, and an "interesting" entry back into Mercia on the Tuesday morning!

My intention wasn't to knock 'Aqua' in any way, and I hope it didn't come across like that. It was a lovely boat with some great features, but I just happened to focus on some examples of parts which I didn't feel quite worked, and they weren't necessarily specific to it being a 'hire boat' - although, granted, the dinette instead of comfy chairs is always going to be the hire-boat choice.

I did ask to see some of your bespoke boats when I booked, but nobody was able to show me around on either the Tuesday or the Saturday (I think Inkling had gone out with her new owners for a shakedown cruise as we saw her on our way back) - which is a real shame, but unavoidable I guess.

I'm sure your bespoke boats ARE a completely different kettle of fish - and I'm a total novice when it comes to 'designing' an interior that works, or features that are needed. There are many, many decisions which I would rely on both the shell builder and the fitout company to make for me, or at least to guide me on.

Perhaps you can share the design decision behind the dog-leg stairs on Aqua Vivo, so it is impossible to stand upright and walk down them, even if you are 5'0"! You must gain something else by doing this?

You're definitely preaching to the choir on this one. Its my missus you would need to convince. *I* can't!

You can fit a washing machine and the hanging space for drying clothes, all full length cupboards for clothes that you need, keep all your "dirty" tools, boots, and leave the rest of the boat clear for nicely decorated living space, if you have a well designed engine room. Try that?

You can fit a washing machine and the hanging space for drying clothes, all full length cupboards for clothes that you need, keep all your "dirty" tools, boots, and leave the rest of the boat clear for nicely decorated living space, if you have a well designed engine room. Try that?

I'll give it a go. Also going to try and squeeze in the idea of a short tug front, on the basis that having the raised tug deck only a similar length to the well deck does give extra interior-accessible storage. We'll see.

It is lovely, and I admire it - but yes, it would be too much wood for my/our vision... smile.png

I echo your concerns about 'too much wood' and although Kendal No 1 has a lot of wood (oak flooring and oak and walnut units and worktops etc) the white ceiling and cream walls tone it down somewhat:

crick_12_zps71687049.jpg

crick_28_zps3d6f6f41.jpg

Our next boat will be a Norton Canes (hopefully). Fantastic quality and lovely lines.

Edit as cocked up pics

Edited by Kendal

Hi Justin smile.png

Timetex

To be honest we gets lots of positive feedback about the stairs - yes you do have to stoop to get up and down them, but you also have to stoop to get in the bow doors too - that's the case with most narrowboats to some extent. Just like owners stooping through Boatman's Cabins or through a Traditional Stern there are areas of compromise to be made.

I put steps on our very first hire boat 10 years ago - although designed carefully with anti-slip treads and built to the correct pitch I fell down them twice, and we also had a couple of hirers fall down them too - quite easily done when folk are rushing. We also had a lots of comments that kids and pets struggled to get up them - so we changed the design on our second boat to stairs. We have found that they slow you down and make you look at what you're doing - therefore making accidents less likely, particularly important in these litigious times! Kids and pets cope with them better too - so I guess they have been the best all round solution for us.

As mentioned before we often build steps on bespoke boats - but that's the owners choice (and totally different to a multi-user hire boat). We'll always offer help and advice with the decisions bespoke customer make, and even sometimes play Devils Advocate - but we want to ensure the customer has thought about all the possible compromises so their decision is an informed one.

Good luck with your build.

Best regards Justin.