GRP advise

Zig Zag

Featured Posts

So im not able to get a narrowboat as soon I thought,

So on reflection have decided to get a GRP cruiser as there a lot more affordable to me at the moment and time is very much of the essence.

The boat I'll be able to afford will only be small so need to Maximise indoor space instead of large deck area. Especially as winter seems to be here now. So it seems to me that Dawncrafts seem to have the most space inside because of there shape, is that right? And barring in mind I want maximise space inside should I limit my search to only a dawncraft or is there other manufacters to consider too.

As I said these boats are new to me. I've spent so long looking and reading about narrowboats, And never really gave these much time so any help would be great.

Edited by The zig zag

So im not able to get a narrowboat as soon I thought,

So on reflection have decided to get a GRP cruiser as there a lot more affordable to me at the moment and time is very much of the essence.

The boat I'll be able to afford will only be small so need to Maximise indoor space instead of large deck area. Especially as winter seems to be here now. So it seems to me that Dawncrafts seem to have the most space inside because of there shape, is that right? And barring in mind I want maximise space inside should I limit my search to only a dawncraft or is there other manufacters to consider too.

As I said these boats are new to me. I've spent so long looking and reading about narrowboats, And never really gave these much time so any help would be great.

Have a search for 'Viking' too.

You don't say if it's to live on or for weekends,if your budget is tight and you want to live on look at the dawncraft rover more or less the same as the highbridge but generally about half the price also creigton made a very well made centre cockpit in 26 or 32 foot or if your budget is a bit higher the highbridge was a grp narrow boat that a lot of people like, you need to give a bit more info really I,e live aboard or not, rough idea of budget and so on

Thanks the Normans seem to hold the money tad more then the others?

Yes it will be to live on. And budget is a tiny 3 k at the moment. I know I would need to some work to the boat with a budget that low. And even some "converting" so to speak to make it in to a liveaboard.

But personal situation has draisticly changed over the last few weeks and not for the good. So guess I gotta just work with what I got. The plan is it would only be a temp thing to get me through. And then in few months time hopefully be in a situation to get a narrowboat.

Oh and yes I do have mooring already lined up that are happy for me to live on. Don't panic it's not in London.

ZigZag....because of where your mooring is, don't ignore motor sailers or even at a pinch sailing cruisers (the latter are usually a lot cheaper for a given length although pokey because of hull shape) There are quite a few boatyards along that river and don't ignore the sailing clubs as often there are for sail sale notices in the club houses

eta doh! blush.png

Edited by John V

Ahh good advise I'll look in to it. I spent this weekend trying boat yards. But a lot of time you can't get near them as there all gated for obvious reasons I know. So maybe I'll need to pop in to the club houses to ask around. Cheers John.

Ahh good advise I'll look in to it. I spent this weekend trying boat yards. But a lot of time you can't get near them as there all gated for obvious reasons I know. So maybe I'll need to pop in to the club houses to ask around. Cheers John.

If you're going the grp route and this applies especially to Dawncraft, beware of anything from the mid 1970's this is when companies began to cut corners as the oil crisis forced the price of resin sky high. It really did for Dawncraft which was a shame as they were starting to get into bigger craft and the demise of the company spawned the well regarded Highbridge cruiser.

You main problem is that within that sort of budget you won't find anything designed for all year round occupation so be prepared to do some serious upgrading to heating/insulation.

There's always a few Norman 23's around, they make more sense than say a Freeman 22 which though on the face of it is a nicer boat, you really need an outboard engine with a boat as short as 23 foot.

With a budget of 3k I'd look at anything up to 6k. Small grp cruisers at worth very little these days, and don't bother with anything tatty.

I can't seem to post a link for some reason but there is a nice looking Burland 26 on Boatshed Yorkshire for £4,000, that is worth looking at.

Thanks the Normans seem to hold the money tad more then the others?

Yes it will be to live on. And budget is a tiny 3 k at the moment. I know I would need to some work to the boat with a budget that low. And even some "converting" so to speak to make it in to a liveaboard.

But personal situation has draisticly changed over the last few weeks and not for the good. So guess I gotta just work with what I got. The plan is it would only be a temp thing to get me through. And then in few months time hopefully be in a situation to get a narrowboat.

Oh and yes I do have mooring already lined up that are happy for me to live on. Don't panic it's not in London.

. If you look at the thread entitled,,, what I would do,,,about three above this one there is a tatty looking 30 ft dawncraft on eBay that's up to about 600 quid at the moment, not the best looking beast on the cut but may just be good enough for a short term stop over plus it has the benefit of having a woodburner a bit of a rarity on a yoghurt pot but very useful in the cold weather that's allegedly heading are way

Remember that at that budget cash you can make offers on boats up to say £5k. However remember also that new bits for a refit cost full price so go for something that you can move onto not something that needs a full rip out and refit -that refit would take weeks and cost more than the hull.

That's good know. Didn't think I'd have a chance getting a 5k boat for 3k. Opens the search up loads.

I would be looking up to £6k. Some owners are a bit optimisitic with their pricing. Once the boat has sat around for a long while with no offers they will snap up a lower cash offer.

If your not embarrassed to make your first offer then it isnt low enough.

I would be looking up to £6k. Some owners are a bit optimisitic with their pricing. Once the boat has sat around for a long while with no offers they will snap up a lower cash offer.

If your not embarrassed to make your first offer then it isnt low enough.

I agree.

Small grp cruisers really are at the toe end of the market these days, only the best in tip top condition will realise a decent price. And there really isn't any need to take on a tatty project boat when for three or four grand you can pick and choose.

At the same time, most of these boats are pretty tired these days. Bear in mind that this sort of craft is generally bought as an occasional weekend cruiser so will have spent most of it's life mouldering in the cut soaking up water and collecting moss etc.

If you can try and find one that has been routinely lifted out of the water in the winter. The reason so many old grp boats smell of damp is the hull will have absorbed a certain amount of moisture over the years unless it's given the occasional opportunity to dry out.

One more thing, bear in mind that most of the manufacturers of small grp cruisers have long since disappeared, so finding spares specific to a particular boat can be a chore. This is one reason why Freemans, for example,are one of the more popular choices, you can still get most of the parts for them. Sadly there's only one narrow beam version, the 22 footer, and they are rare visitors to the secondhand market these days.

Yes it will be to live on.

I like, enjoy, prefer to live in a small space but they tend to lack storage. Thus you see boats with all sorts of stuff on the roof or deposited on the towpath.

Even in a larger narrow boat there may not be hanging space for a business suit or a long dress.

Were to do it again I would spend six months on a mooring with shore power.

Alan

One more thing, bear in mind that most of the manufacturers of small grp cruisers have long since disappeared, so finding spares specific to a particular boat can be a chore.

And what spare parts would you expect to be able to buy if the manufacturer is still in business? A smallish GRP cruiser consists of 2 GRP mouldings, hull and cabin, joined together at the gunwale plus a load of bought-in components for the fitout and equipment. You repair the GRP if necessary. The other components might or might not be readily available, but you can generally source modern equivalents, or you have to get something made to measure.

I had a 27' Dawncraft and really liked it. Outboard is inboard which sounds stupid but is in a well at the back so under cover! 15HP Honda outboard, the handling was exceptional!

I kept the bow permanently made up as a bed and had plenty of room in the cabin to live. Paloma heater and wet room but had to keep the door open when used the loo as the area was so small.

It had no heater which was the only real negative but I could have fitted on.

Rubbing strakes are held on with screws. I had mine removed, strakes sealed and bolts used to hold it all together.

Solid boat really. I sold it and a couple of years later BW phoned up and said 'Your boat has sunk on the (Insert some river)' sad.png

And what spare parts would you expect to be able to buy if the manufacturer is still in business? A smallish GRP cruiser consists of 2 GRP mouldings, hull and cabin, joined together at the gunwale plus a load of bought-in components for the fitout and equipment. You repair the GRP if necessary. The other components might or might not be readily available, but you can generally source modern equivalents, or you have to get something made to measure.

The problem with many older grp cruisers is that far from them being fitted with "bought in" components, the builders often had to fashion their own solutions, or look to the caravan market at the time which creates the same problem. There just weren't enough wholesalers of parts for grp cruisers at the time.

I used to live in an area where grp boats far outnumbered steel narrowboats and had many conversations with owners trying to track down something as simple as a hatch stay, or a deck fitting that would match the others on the boat. I agree you can always find a solution, and stuff is often still available it's a case of tracking down the current supplier. But the point I was making is that compared to something like a Freeman where you still go to the manufacturer and virtually replace everything like for like and keep the boat looking original, most other boats will present more of a challenge.

The problem with many older grp cruisers is that far from them being fitted with "bought in" components, the builders often had to fashion their own solutions, or look to the caravan market at the time which creates the same problem. There just weren't enough wholesalers of parts for grp cruisers at the time.

I used to live in an area where grp boats far outnumbered steel narrowboats and had many conversations with owners trying to track down something as simple as a hatch stay, or a deck fitting that would match the others on the boat. I agree you can always find a solution, and stuff is often still available it's a case of tracking down the current supplier. But the point I was making is that compared to something like a Freeman where you still go to the manufacturer and virtually replace everything like for like and keep the boat looking original, most other boats will present more of a challenge.

I dont think that is a problem specific to GRP boats, its a problem specific to older boats in general.