CRT Stoppages, and Overstaying on visitor Moorings

FidoDido

Featured Posts

Just to update this..

I emailed the local CRT person, who forwarded my enquiry to the local CRT enforcement officer. Some 2 weeks later, the CRT enforcement officer has not got back to me regarding moving my boat during the stoppage.

However, as an Orion boat called "Silver" and another black older boat called "Madness" have been in Shardlow for well over 4 weeks without any hindrance, I think I'll take my chances. (I've seen Madness around over the past few years - seems to leave it various places whilst he is away)..

Silver, incidentally appears to be up for sale - saw it on the 'duck.

So much for those who simplistically say, ask crt.

I think you are doing the sensible thing, you pay for a mooring, you know you will need facilities unavailable to you because of a planned stoppage, you have asked. Moving to facilities seems your best option.

Boats do overstay in Shardlow when the trent is in flood as it has been recently.

So much for those who simplistically say, ask crt.

I think you are doing the sensible thing, you pay for a mooring, you know you will need facilities unavailable to you because of a planned stoppage, you have asked. Moving to facilities seems your best option.

Boats do overstay in Shardlow when the trent is in flood as it has been recently.

Yes, but it wasn't in flood for the first 3 weeks they were there.. Just this past 7 days. I think the local enforcement is sensibly light - none really creates a problem, as there is a lot of room. People do eventually move on, and you don't see the same boats overstaying again and again. Those that you do see fairly often seem to stick to the 2 week rule.

As you say, at least I've asked. If I have to, I'll move it down to Beeston, which is actually quite convenient for work. Just run the risk of not being able to get back up the Trent for quite a while.. I'm generally on the boat in the week, and away at weekends.

Yes.. I didn't walk down there when the towpath was under.. It went up s further 30cm or so from that photo

DSC_0149.jpg

must admit, it is a bit frightening when the towpath, fields, local roads and everything else disappears.

Wellies become standard footwear and you always have to step up to get on the boat.

Luckily, we don't rely on local transport companies....

DSC_0130.jpg

Just to clarify, as an expert CCer, are you suggesting:

1) CCers deliberately research where winter stoppages are with a view to positioning their boat so that it will be "blocked in" and thus can remain in one place for many weeks/months?

2) CCers ignore the published winter stoppages and just see what happens when they are cruising?

3) CCers deliberately research where the winter stoppages are with a view to complying with the 14 day rule?

You don' t have to be an expert at all. All you need to do is cruise the system with your eyes open and talk to other boaters.

You will then realise that all 3 of the above occur.

Personally I find it best to study the stoppages and avoid being stuck anywhere.,

You don' t have to be an expert at all. All you need to do is cruise the system with your eyes open and talk to other boaters.

You will then realise that all 3 of the above occur.

Personally I find it best to study the stoppages and avoid being stuck anywhere.,

Me too

I was thinking about this last week. how easy it would be for CaRT to put this information on their notice boards, I was at the Fazeley offices at the time using the services. Even if they only put up the locale ones, just an A4 sheet of paper

They did use to, the notice board at Cowroast used to have a stoppages list displayed and it was very helpful

Yes.. I didn't walk down there when the towpath was under.. It went up s further 30cm or so from that photo

My boat was close to that lock then, and the enforcement chap asked me to move back to Shardlow, as he thought my boat would be soon under water there.

He was right, and you told me at one point it was not far below the top of the flood gates. Glad I moved when I did.

It took so long to go down!

Mary