Going to look at these tomorrow - any thoughts?

tonyt40

Featured Posts

I've only had a quick look, but I couldn't see any clues to who built the shell for "Calm Waters".

I do not like the look of apparently very short swims at the stern.....

227506.jpg

The flow of water to the propeller is likely to be poor, and I suspect this boat may not handle well, and could make a lot of wash.

Odd that the engine is claimed as only 250 hours, which is nothing at all - it doesn't immediately give the impression of a near new engine, so worth enquiring what the story is.

I don't know my modern Perkins engines, but again the type is not identified. Some Perkins badged engines have cam belts, and there can be an issue in narrow boat use if enough space has not been left for changing these on the required schedule. That engine apperas to have been installed with very little access available to its front end, and it doesn't look like any of the bulkhead can be removed to allow such access.

Someone will probably recognise that engine.

Hello

I'm going to look at these two in the morning. What do you think?

Calm Waters - http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=388476

Trinary Venturer - http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=388544

Any thoughts on these?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

I really like the Mike Heywood boat, based on the pictures only that is.

Is any one going with you to view?

The Mike Heywood boat immediately, (subject to survey).

The other one looks odd, 40 feet with a 20 foot pram cover, no proper bedroom and an engine bay with more stuff packed in than a Tesco clearance depot. (what is under all that stuff.....). There is little storage and no proper bedroom - however, there is a MAHOOSIVE pram cover, did I already mention that?

The Trinity Venturer looks a decent boat, well maintained from the pictures, and 10 feet longer than the pram cover with boat attached. It will sound like a transit van when the engine is running, but spares should be easy to get hold of. You may find that this boat is 12V only - no inverter listed and I can't see any 240V sockets on the poor pics.

I really like the Mike Heywood boat, based on the pictures only that is.

Is any one going with you to view?

No. Just a preliminary look to see if we like either layout.

There are more pic's of the boat on Google - It used to be burgundy with a wooden interior. Looks like its had a recent makeover.

2103282674_25e97da80d_m.jpg

More here https://www.flickr.com/photos/21742037@N03/2102516141/in/photostream/

an engine bay with more stuff packed in than a Tesco clearance depot. (what is under all that stuff.....).

I might be wrong but the mop, bucket and rust suggest to me that it takes on a lot of water. It may just be a trick of the light but it looks to me like it has an inch of water sloshing around in it right now.

The TRINARY VENTURER looks far and away the better boat to me too. Well worth the extra money despite the pikey engine.

MtB

Were pikey engines common in narrowboats? I suppose there will be plenty of spares availablebiggrin.png . If I buy it do I keep quiet about the engine to avoid shame ninja.gif or use it as a talking point for the purists?

Were pikey engines common in narrowboats? I suppose there will be plenty of spares availablebiggrin.png . If I buy it do I keep quiet about the engine to avoid shame ninja.gif or use it as a talking point for the purists?

Actually, that raises a serious point. I've seen a couple of boats advertised with Ford engines, but nowhere near as many as one might expect, given that Ford engines are generally considered to be reliable, easy to work on, and have good spares back-up. Is there a reason why boatbuilders tend to avoid them?

They will be classics in years to come, you will stand at the towpath listening to one coming half a mile away and say "same engine as wot got Sabbath back from the Marquee to Watford Gap"....

If well sound insulated, they aren't that bad.

The Ford engine has been used in a number of narrow boats over the years. In fact it has been reported on here of being the staple of the Club Line hire boats that used to operate from Coventry (I think).

It has never had a fraction of the popularity in narrow boat applications as the BMC 1500 / 1800.

One reason is often stated that it is a cam belt based engine, and that not only may cam belts be not best suited to the application, they also often demand space to change them which is not freely available. Some people posting on here have ultimately rejected some potential purchases because of this.

The BMC uses a timing chain, so doesn't share the cam belt issue.

One reason is often stated that it is a cam belt based engine, and that not only may cam belts be not best suited to the application, they also often demand space to change them which is not freely available. Some people posting on here have ultimately rejected some potential purchases because of this.

The BMC uses a timing chain, so doesn't share the cam belt issue.

That on its own would explain it, I chose my current car largely on the basis that it has a chain and not a belt.

The 'Mike Heywood' doesn't look like a Mike Heywood. My boat is a Heywood, 1983. On others I've seen, and mine, the front end of the cabin sides end abruptly, without any curved extension or even an overhang from the roof. The bow looks odd, too. From those two features, it looks unlike others.

For me the initial choice would be the Trinary Venturer, for one it's a trad and two it doesn't have a baby attached to the stern lol. It was fitted out locally to me to and I know the guys who used to run Bromsgrove Boat Builders (I think the sons still run it?).

Lee.

Nightwatch was fitted out by Bromsgrove boats. I have actually had contact with one of the work staff but he seems to have left the forum. We are pleased with Nightwatch's fit out but we have found recently that the 12v wiring is not to colour coded norm. No idea if Bromsgrove did the electrics.

I believe the hull of Nightwatch is a Dave Clarke produced hull.

If you like it go for it.

Martyn

Edit. Sorry forgot why I was quoting your post. My understanding is that Bromsgrove boats has ceased trading years ago. I may be incorrect.

Edited by Nightwatch

Note sure if you're looking for a boat that suits a couple, but the galley in Calm Waters lacks an oven and is short of storage. There's no microwave either - easily added, but a strange omission.

It would work ok for one person who didn't bake, a real cook would want a new kitchen.

You mean people live on boats without a microwave? No, I just don't believe you.

That's just so sad.

Surely the lack of an oven was the point. A microwave is a poor substitute but the boat doesn't have one of those either.

MtB

Microwave? who wants a microwave?

I have existed without one for years. It was deemed necessary that i had one in house renovating as no cooker...but never used it...hid it under table.

not yet used oven on boat.

But guess for most people they are necessary bits of equipment.

MtB was right - that post was intended to highlight the galley's facilities for someone who wants a good range of cooking equipment.

Having pointed out the lack of an oven, I'd expect anyone who cared to note the gas hob has only two rings, but they might still assume people cook real food there, so I pointed out the lack of a microwave too. That galley appears to be set up to make tea and instant coffee, and keep beer and wine cool. Perfect for day tripping, but not right for everyone.

I could still be wrong of course, but the point was just to draw OP's attention to the galley so he (and/or partner - he used "we" in his post) make a careful assessment of the galley's suitability to their needs.

FWIW I cook (and enjoy eating) 95% of my own food, and own both an oven and a microwave. I use the oven and microwave to store crockery (microwave) and metal kitchen containers (oven) though smile.png

I could get by as a "live boa" on that boat, but I think I'm an exception.

Edited by Gordias