Going to look at these tomorrow - any thoughts?

tonyt40

Featured Posts

I wonder if OP will read this again today.

I just found this at the same place as Trinary Venturer:

http://www.cvmarine.co.uk/brokerage/more_details.php?rcd=264

It also has a very limited galley (4-ring hob though, so twice as good smile.png

Perhaps too expensive, but OTOH it's very time-efficient to take a look at it compared to driving between different marinas.

And another at the same location:

http://www.cvmarine.co.uk/brokerage/more_details.php?rcd=256

Loofs like it has a proper galley, but the new owner will definitely have like lime-green

BTW - I don't use an oven because I cook everything in a wok. I keep promising myself I'll start using the oven, but I really like wok food so I keep putting it off smile.png

Edited by Gordias

I'm a "flexitarian" (seems that's a thing now /lol).

I eat vegan (+ low carb) food at home because that's what I like. OTOH when I'm out with friends I eat whatever is served, and in restaurants select meat, fish, eggs, even sugary food because I like the variation. I think only my closest friends actually believe I don't eat that stuff at home - it's hard for someone I've shared a late-night hamburger with to believe I'm vegan 95% of the time :)

All this food talk is making me hungry but back to the matters in hand. Well we went to look. Two completely different things. We have taken into account that we won't be living aboard and it will be used for holidays and weekends for us and our 14 year old son. In a few years when he doesn't want to spend time with us we would look at something with eventual liveaboard in mind. Here are my observations:-

Calm Waters

For

1. Modern Boat - We could use it straight away.
  2. Pram hood provides good external space - we like itbiggrin.png
  3. New batteries (1 x start, 2 x leisure and a huge one!). Eberspacher hydronic heater plus calorifier. Large Durite inverter.
  4. Modern electrical and plumbing systems.
  5. Ideal starter boat?
  6. Two saloon areas (ideal for teenager)laugh.png

Against

1. Engine compartment cluttered but generally tidy. No bilge pump evident so possibly why there is water in the bilge. Quite a bit of black oil below the engine needs investigating (not started today).
  2. Needs blacking
  3. No Oven (or microwave).
  4. External paint a bit dull but generally o.k.
  5. No stove
  6. Bed needs making up.

Trinary Venturer

For

1. Quality shell - although tired
  2. Stove
  3. Size
  4. Permanent double bed
  5. Paintwork tidy
  6. Blacking and anodes look recent.
  7. Good space on front deck.

Against

1. Ford engine
  2. Interior wants gutting from the saloon backwards - we want something that doesn't need too much work straight away
  3. Systems all original
  4. Pump out toilet - not ideal for short term usage

So there we go. Time to reflect and consider what we saw and plan in some more viewing. Going to Cambridge next week so I think we'll arrange some viewing in that area.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the viewing process is concluded.I ended up making an offer on the 40ft cruiser. This was after viewing a load more boats over the past two weeks (about 20) and finding nothing that I would have spent my budget on. It's been accepted subject to survey. It meets all our needs (with a few minor changes to the galley) for my wife, son and me. The comments above were reflected in the offer.

Hopefully the survey will be fine and we can complete the deal.

Edited by tonyt40

Well the viewing process is concluded.I ended up making an offer on the 40ft cruiser. This was after viewing a load more boats over the past two weeks (about 20) and finding nothing that I would have spent my budget on. It's been accepted subject to survey. It meets all our needs (with a few minor changes to the galley) for my wife, son and me. The comments above were reflected in the offer.

Well done you!

Microwave? who wants a microwave?

I have existed without one for years. It was deemed necessary that i had one in house renovating as no cooker...but never used it...hid it under table.

not yet used oven on boat.

But guess for most people they are necessary bits of equipment.

Mine is essential. It is the only thing Rosie can't open and steal from, bless her!! Great for defrosting meat etc whilst I am at work.

MtB was right - that post was intended to highlight the galley's facilities for someone who wants a good range of cooking equipment.

Having pointed out the lack of an oven, I'd expect anyone who cared to note the gas hob has only two rings, but they might still assume people cook real food there, so I pointed out the lack of a microwave too. That galley appears to be set up to make tea and instant coffee, and keep beer and wine cool. Perfect for day tripping, but not right for everyone.

I could still be wrong of course, but the point was just to draw OP's attention to the galley so he (and/or partner - he used "we" in his post) make a careful assessment of the galley's suitability to their needs.

FWIW I cook (and enjoy eating) 95% of my own food, and own both an oven and a microwave. I use the oven and microwave to store crockery (microwave) and metal kitchen containers (oven) though smile.png

I could get by as a "live boa" on that boat, but I think I'm an exception.

We manage perfectly well with two rings and a grill through the summer when we are out cruising. You make the most of what you have at the time. You can cook some very nice meals without the need of an oven or microwave.

In fact we dont have a microwave at home so not sure why we would need one on the boat!!

Well done. cheers.gif

We manage perfectly well with two rings and a grill through the summer when we are out cruising. You make the most of what you have at the time. You can cook some very nice meals without the need of an oven or microwave.

In fact we dont have a microwave at home so not sure why we would need one on the boat!!

Well done. cheers.gif

Thanks Cal. Survey booked. Fingers crossed.