Which Gas Cylinder

bigray

Featured Posts

Ok so this is a bit of a random question but which brand gas cylinder do you use? Calor, Flogas, Energas or another and why is it price, availability or another reason?

Calor.

Availalabilty.

The only difference is not the gas in the cylinder but the label on the outside, if you go to Immingham you will see all the major (and minor) bulk tankers queuing up to fill from the same point. Now the price of various cylinders varies with the weight of gas they contain, some suppliers will mark down to be more competative also Butane is cheaper than Propane but for boaters Propane is the only one to use as it has a lower freezing point so can resist cold weather ie not freeze up while you are making a brew.

I guess Calor is the bench mark on price and this is currently £27.25 for 13kg bottle.

Hope this helps

Phil

And as big as you can fit for cost effectiveness. Propane (Red) if you are out in winter, Butane (Blue) if not

You will need to change the regulator to swop between the 2 gases

And as big as you can fit for cost effectiveness. Propane (Red) if you are out in winter Butane (Blue) if not

You didn't ask that in your op.

But as you ask our boats locker holds two 13kg cylinders.

I use propane all year round. Swapping to butane in the summer is pointless, and requires a different regulator anyway. I think most boaters do the same.

You didn't ask that in your op.

But as you ask our boats locker holds two 13kg cylinders.

I use propane all year round. Swapping to butane in the summer is pointless, and requires a different regulator anyway. I think most boaters do the same.

I haven't asked anything.

Some of us only use our boats in summer.

Butane only so no changes of regulator, But you can get an adapter for not many pennies and use the same regulator.

Butane only so no changes of regulator, But you can get an adapter for not many pennies and use the same regulator.

Apologies, I confused you with the OP.

I've never heard of that, but given that the pressures required by the devices are different depending on which gas is in use, I'm struggling to see how you could use just one regulator, and the output pressure still correct in both situations. Can you explain more about this, please?

If you use butane and decide to change to propane apart from a different regulator its wise to have your system tested for leaks because of the propanes slight pressure increase. And gas appliances like the cooker may need an air adjustment for correct air to gas ratio.

If you use butane and decide to change to propane apart from a different regulator its wise to have your system tested for leaks because of the propanes slight pressure increase. And gas appliances like the cooker may need an air adjustment for correct air to gas ratio.

Interesting.

We as caravanners used to swap between butane in summer and propane in winter and the only thing we did was switch regulators??

Calor. We only use about 1 x 13kg per year so price is not really an issue.

Jan and I have a standing joke about how our boat has been secretly plumbed into the mains given the length of time between changes..it does seem good value given how much we pay for gas at home.

I've never heard of that, but given that the pressures required by the devices are different depending on which gas is in use, I'm struggling to see how you could use just one regulator, and the output pressure still correct in both situations. Can you explain more about this, please?

My turn to apologize, I am thinking of the adapter to change butane Camping gas to butane Calor gas bottles using the same regulator.

But, I do have an adjustable regulator so it would be possible.

My turn to apologize, I am thinking of the adapter to change butane Camping gas to butane Calor gas bottles using the same regulator.

But, I do have an adjustable regulator so it would be possible.

Except butane regulators clip on and propane have a screw in fitting, so even if your regulator was adjustable the fittings would be different.??

We can fit 4 13kg bottles in the locker but we don't. Easier to just use one 19kg bottle and change it so infrequently I don't actually know how long it lasts. It always runs out when I'm in the shower though. ALWAYS. There's a roofing place right next to the yard that now sells Calour (used to sell Flogas which, and I don't care what anyone says, is crap. Water didn't get hot using that so used to travel to get Calour).

Edited by Sabcat

We can fit 4 13kg bottles in the locker but we don't. Easier to just use one 19kg bottle and change it so infrequently I don't actually know how long it lasts. It always runs out when I'm in the shower though. ALWAYS.

That's precisely why it's a good idea to have at least 2 connected bottles in there with a manual change over switch. If a bottle runs out mid-shower then switching over still isn't ideal but it only takes a minute.

With auto-change over switches you never really know when you're on your 2nd bottle.

Edited by blackrose

That's precisely why it's a good idea to have at least 2 connected bottles in there with a manual change over switch. If a bottle runs out mid-shower then switching over still isn't ideal but it only takes a minute.

With auto-change over switches you never really know when you're on your 2nd bottle.

You do if you check it from time to time (there is a red telltale). If you can't be bothered to check it, you deserve a cold shower!

I check ours once every 6 months or so, not exactly taxing. If it shows red I get a new cylinder.

Jan and I have a standing joke about how our boat has been secretly plumbed into the mains given the length of time between changes..it does seem good value given how much we pay for gas at home.

Considering we have no microwave and generally use the oven - which is a domestic sized oven - twice a day (can't abide cold soggy rolls for lunch) it does surprise me that we use so little gas, although I think it's when you add a gas water heater or even CH that the consumption racks up. I suppose we also normally use the electric kettle, reserving the gas one only for when we are not planning to move for a day or so.

Edited by nicknorman

We can fit 4 13kg bottles in the locker but we don't. Easier to just use one 19kg bottle and change it so infrequently I don't actually know how long it lasts. It always runs out when I'm in the shower though. ALWAYS. There's a roofing place right next to the yard that now sells Calour (used to sell Flogas which, and I don't care what anyone says, is crap. Water didn't get hot using that so used to travel to get Calour).

Go to Immingham.

Phil(ex commercial manager for Elf-Flexigas)

Has anyone here got a refillable gas tank built in to their boat, something like an LPG powered car?

If it were permanently installed, how would you get it filled up? I can't think I have ever seen LPG "pumps" at any canal or riverside fuel outlet.