The Right Stove

BarryMcDug

Featured Posts

I have just bought a canal boat that sleeps 7, but the previous stove has been ripped out and so I am in need for a replacement. I'll be using my new boat to travel around Ireland's waterways this winter and so will need a stove that's cheap to run but also effective. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Out of interest, I have a Villager multi-fuel stove, are these generally considered to be the good, the bad or the ugly? Is there anything to be aware of, any known faults or vices with Villagers?

The rope seal needed replacing and the flue needed sweeping, but apart from the fact that the door glass needs frequent cleaning it seems to do the job and doesn't trouble the carbon monoxide or smoke alarms.

Out of interest, I have a Villager multi-fuel stove, are these generally considered to be the good, the bad or the ugly? Is there anything to be aware of, any known faults or vices with Villagers?

The rope seal needed replacing and the flue needed sweeping, but apart from the fact that the door glass needs frequent cleaning it seems to do the job and doesn't trouble the carbon monoxide or smoke alarms.

Villagers are generally regarded as the budget but British made of stoves and stove installers generally do not rate Villager or Hunter, as not as controllable as the more airtight models. Ie leak in air through vents etc hence less controllable burn.

I have had 3 villagers and found them adequate although got fed up of cleaning the glass every day and needed a flue damper to control the burn.

I have now got a woodwarm and find it excellent on my boat, heating 2 rads or hot water. The glass stays pretty clean and is a joy to use and operate. If I moved on land woodwarm for me!

If your looking for canal boat stoves and are on a budget buy a boatman. The stove makes I rate in no particular order are Charnwood, Dunsley, Clearview, Woodwarm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP7MVjL6BWM&feature=player_detailpage

Jamescheers.gif

Northern fabrications Boatman.

http://www.northernfabricationservices.co.uk

OMG I'm agreeing with youlaugh.png

But yes, £300 made 3 miles up the road from me so no problem on parts all made in Clifton in Salford, steel not cast iron so they take a fair bit of abuse without cracking add a back boiler in the future if you want for £100, bargain.

K

I have a small Carabo in the backcabin. It's just right and very controllable.

In the saloon there is a big Effel which is a very dark green enamelled lovely stove.

At home in the garden office there is a Firefox. Again it works well.

All stoves need regular inspection to check for leaks.

After 13 years I had to give our big Effel a complete strip down. Seals were all redone and bolts replaced everywhere. The originals were in a few places big self tappers and some of these needed drilling out.

I am pleased with all three stoves. Even the cheap Firefox has worked really well for the last eight years.

OMG I'm agreeing with youlaugh.png

But yes, £300 made 3 miles up the road from me so no problem on parts all made in Clifton in Salford, steel not cast iron so they take a fair bit of abuse without cracking add a back boiler in the future if you want for £100, bargain.

K

I thought the backboiler was built in when Eddie made it? If you right we will add one to Jaynes stove and yes it gets my vote great stove

Peter

I thought the backboiler was built in when Eddie made it? If you right we will add one to Jaynes stove and yes it gets my vote great stove

Peter

If you check the link I posted you will see the back boiler is an optional extra at £100

Sorry to jump on this thread, on a related note, does anyone know the best way for fixing 25mm calcium silicate fire proofing boards to the surrounding walls? I'm told that a fire retardant silicone based adhesive will work for applying tiles but will this be OK for fixing the boards to the walls as well or should I just screw them in? (By the way, I will be using offcuts to fix directly to the walls to create an air gap, then fixing the boards to the offcuts). Thanks

If you check the link I posted you will see the back boiler is an optional extra at £100

Yes I can see that Martin but I suspect it is built in when the stove is made or that is what I understood from Eddie but like as not I could be wrong

Peter

I have just bought a canal boat that sleeps 7, but the previous stove has been ripped out and so I am in need for a replacement. I'll be using my new boat to travel around Ireland's waterways this winter and so will need a stove that's cheap to run but also effective. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Used to sleep 7 and the stove "ripped out" interesting combination, is it ex hire boat? Not that it matters, but if it was (before anyone is offended) I'd concentrate on keeping heat in the bits you live and sleep in so solid fuel stove with a couple of rads as the best way to go, I don't know the fuel regs in the ROI but solid fue must be cheaper than anything else.

K

Sorry to jump on this thread, on a related note, does anyone know the best way for fixing 25mm calcium silicate fire proofing boards to the surrounding walls? I'm told that a fire retardant silicone based adhesive will work for applying tiles but will this be OK for fixing the boards to the walls as well or should I just screw them in? (By the way, I will be using offcuts to fix directly to the walls to create an air gap, then fixing the boards to the offcuts). Thanks

Being a belt and braces man, I glued with a grab adhesive and screwed.

Phil

Thanks to all.

I'm not sure if this is any good for a 7 birth canal boat, I have a 4 birth and use a Morso squirrel. It's relatively cheap to run and burns multifuels also so you get a good range of resources to use. Again I'm not sure how much these will be to ship to ireland, but give these guys a try http://www.jonesboatchandlery.co.uk/morso-squirrel-wood-buring-stove-1410 I had mine shipped to the Lewis Islands and it cost me just over the standard delivery price.