Double skinned chimney

gary955

Featured Posts

Every year i have to buy a new chimney because the old one has rotted out!

This years 24" model has a reverse tapered inner skin, tapering from a little over 5" at the top to just 3.5" at the bottom! is this normal? it seems like it might choke the whole flue.

Assuming that the chimney is OK, would it help the draw (and perhaps offer some protection against corrosion) to pack the cavity between the inner and outer skins with rockwool and cap off with high temp silicon?

Where can you buy small quantities of rockwool?

Thanks in advance for the ever helpfull replies.

P.S I dont want a stainless steel chimney!

We've a double skinned chimney, and packed the cavity with rockwool - - and I believe it keeps the gases warmer and the draw is therefore better.

With regard to the bottom section of the liner - it's important that it fits snugly inside the cast iron collar on your roof, thus avoiding tar deposits going to your paintwork.

Our chimney is one Chris Smith made in stainless steel, and is now nearly 4 years old and in excellent condition. (If you don't like stainless - one can always paint it black!). - I'll never use a chandlery bought mild steel one again!

I have the same silly design, as you say, it traps the gases escaping the flue, causing the various chemicals to condense, and then run down the inside of the outer skin and drip all down your roof making a right mess. It's high on my list of things to either fix (by fabricating a new inner bit) or replace before using the stove 24/7 over winter.

Right after finishing my tiling and putting the stove back where it belongs and fitting the new flue.

Perfect job to start when it's getting cold!

The most effective and cheapest method is to get an off cut of stainless steel tube from a metal fabricator often for a drink a few quid, with an OD about an 3/4'' smaller than the collars ID outlet port and silicone it in only to about a 1 inch depth. The silicone remaining flexible will allow the chimney to ease over and out gently with no damage if struck by a bridge or tree. The chimney being inside the collar any gunge will run back down inside it and not run all down the outside and onto the roof. Chimney's that push over and overlap the outside of the collar are ridiculous, the reverse of what they should be.

I bought a steel chimney from the chandlers with red and brass bands and after 2 winters use you can push holes in it as it's totally rotten and the seam is opening up and very rusty. Looking for a twin walled insulated version from the same chandlers on the "freaky Friday" day. Then thinking of getting a Smokie Joes cowl.

Jamescheers.gif

We now have a stainless double skin chimney painted black. I insulated between the skins with heat resistant foam from an aerosol can. I trimmed back the foam just enough to allow the chimney to be pushed down tight onto the roof collar.

Used without a "coolie hat" this has worked well for years with no tarry condensation getting onto the roof or anywhere else it isn't wanted.

The ss chimney seemed pricey when bought, but given the number of cheaper mild steel ones we'd have used by now, it's been a bargain.

I have a reverse taper liner in my chimney and it works great has stopped all the rust and tar marks that were all down the side of my boat ( white grp ) I got it from a guy on the internet called smokey joe it's the one with a bird shaped cowl on the top the quality is great and if it's working as it should the liner rots away instead of the chimney which you can replace for about 15 quid I have,nt insulated between the two as I don't see much point and it will just make it harder to change the liner when the time comes I,ve had it a few years and looks as good as new

I bought a steel chimney from the chandlers with red and brass bands and after 2 winters use you can push holes in it as it's totally rotten and the seam is opening up and very rusty. Looking for a twin walled insulated version from the same chandlers on the "freaky Friday" day. Then thinking of getting a Smokie Joes cowl.

James:cheers:

just get the whole chimney from him he's a really nice man to deal with and I think my whole chimney including reverse tapered liner and cowl was only a few pounds more than they were asking for a standard single walled model at the boat jumble

I have a reverse taper liner in my chimney and it works great has stopped all the rust and tar marks that were all down the side of my boat ( white grp ) I got it from a guy on the internet called smokey joe it's the one with a bird shaped cowl on the top the quality is great and if it's working as it should the liner rots away instead of the chimney which you can replace for about 15 quid I have,nt insulated between the two as I don't see much point and it will just make it harder to change the liner when the time comes I,ve had it a few years and looks as good as new

AHA nice one, that's one in the eye for all those who say you can't have a burner on a GRP boat.

Phil

I just ordered a Blue one from Smokie joes.

Single skin, as I bought a liner, which Is 2 years old still going strong

I've been told the separate liners have a long life, and spares the wear and tear chimney.

Anyway the chimney will be at the office now so excited!!

Try not to loose this one overboard

How sad is that???

Col