Looking for a Survey down at Nottingham Castle Marina

Foxtrot

Featured Posts

I've put a deposit down on a boat at Nottingham Castle Marina:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=384487

Looking for a trusted surveyor in the area, if anyone has any suggestions! The marina themselves suggested Rick Topham.

Foxy

Looks like a nice boat. I hope that it all works out with the survey.

• Greenie 1

Trevor Whilting did ours and he's brilliant. Came highly recommended by Junior and other of this parish. He pretty much insists you are there on the day and as well as doing a full survey, he is happy to show you things to look for post purchase.

He's also reasonably priced taboot!

That's an ex-Canaltime hire/ share boat, so may have taken some hard knocks, which I hope your surveyor will find. It looks to have been modified since leaving hire service, as those boats did not originally have solid fuel stoves. She looks a bit rumpled within, but if that hull is sound, it's a lot of boat for the money.

I am seriously considering trading in Trojan for one of the shorter (45 foot) models of this design. Mrs. Athy is quite surprised, as they do not have polishable engines.

Canaltime Boats

One issue for me is that they do not have front doors. - Emergency exit ?

You cannot get out of side hatches in a narrow lock

Oh yes you can. They have a lifting section of roof above the side hatch.

They make good use of interior space, as the (wide) bed goes right up to the front bulkhead.

We have used Ian Lumley and have been happy with his work. Will use him again, nice chap to work with.

Oh yes you can. They have a lifting section of roof above the side hatch.

They make good use of interior space, as the (wide) bed goes right up to the front bulkhead.

We hired a narrowboat in Victoria Quays some years ago with a very similar layout and it made excellent use of the space for such a short boat. From memory it was 40ft but with the bedroom being so far forward still managed a decent sized bedroom, shower room, galley, saloon and cruiser stern.

Didnt take long for the solid fuel stove to heat up the boat either and the windows, doors and hatch to be opened despite it being January!!

Edited by Naughty Cal

That's an ex-Canaltime hire/ share boat, so may have taken some hard knocks, which I hope your surveyor will find. It looks to have been modified since leaving hire service, as those boats did not originally have solid fuel stoves. She looks a bit rumpled within, but if that hull is sound, it's a lot of boat for the money.

I am seriously considering trading in Trojan for one of the shorter (45 foot) models of this design. Mrs. Athy is quite surprised, as they do not have polishable engines.

The insides have been modified a lot. It originally had 2 toilets and 3 bedrooms. Now has one living area, a very long kitchen then toilet and bedroom. I'm thinking of changing things around once I've got my hands on it to give area for a small workshop/pantry/safehold up front where there's currently a bedroom, and that'll still leave me with tones of room in the rest of the boat to do out how I want.

You seem to have worked your plans out carefully. if you do purchase the boat, I wish you every success with the refurbishment.

Thanks Athy. Been a long wait, so hoping all goes well. Though I still get cold feet ever now and again, been such a big purchase an all.