CART Uniform.

OptedOut

Featured Posts

After a rather disturbing encounter between my wife and a person who may have been a CART employee/volunteer, I would enquire whether said persons carry any sort of visible ID?

Blue sweatshirt normally with a CRT logo seems pretty common and sometimes a lifejacket too, is the usual indicator.

We have however met at least one person operating a lock who it turns out was not a genuine volunteer nor a CRT employee and he was wearing a blue sweat shirt (that had no logo on it though)

Was it -just another boater- ?

:lol:

No it came up on here that it was someone who likes to 'pretend' to be a BW (as was) lock keeper and as part of the illusion he dons a blue sweat shirt to give the impression he is there in an 'official' capacity.

What happened?

Whilst at a mooring a gentleman arrived and engaged my wife in conversation. One of his first questions was, "Are you on your own", her reply was "No, his Lordships inside watching the telly.

He then moves down the line of boats and appeared to be checking boat numbers, on his return he asked, "How can he be watching the telly as you do not have an aerial".

Wife points to large DM log aerial (on 6 foot mast) and he then departs.

Worrying when one considers his main interest appeared to be whether my wife was alone!

That particular encounter happened before we moved up North, Shardlow on the T&M rings a very vague bell but TBH i can't be sure.

Swarkstone I think you mean. Use to be a right "Mr Happy" who was warned off by the CRT late last year. I have not seen him this year.

He wasn't from the TV license people was he?

When I questioned my wife on the encounter she described him as being smartly dressed with what she thought was a military/police sort of bearing, also looked like he could look after himself.

TV man was one of our thoughts at the time.

Whilst at a mooring a gentleman arrived and engaged my wife in conversation. One of his first questions was, "Are you on your own", her reply was "No, his Lordships inside watching the telly.

He then moves down the line of boats and appeared to be checking boat numbers, on his return he asked, "How can he be watching the telly as you do not have an aerial".

Wife points to large DM log aerial (on 6 foot mast) and he then departs.

Worrying when one considers his main interest appeared to be whether my wife was alone!

As you say, worrying.

Operational staff wear blue. Enforcement and Data logging tend to be White shirt, Black trousers and top.

I suggest that you contact CRT and ask whether one of their people logged you at the time in question.

As you say, worrying.

Operational staff wear blue. Enforcement and Data logging tend to be White shirt, Black trousers and top.

I suggest that you contact CRT and ask whether one of their people logged you at the time in question.

Black trousers & top ticks a box. CRT was going to be the next port of call after taking some opinions on here.

Time for CRT officials to display photo ID, methinks.

Black trousers & top ticks a box. CRT was going to be the next port of call after taking some opinions on here.

Time for CRT officials to display photo ID, methinks.

Or not.

The trouble with photo ID is that such things are trivially easy to fake, and if they are displayed it simply makes it easier.

I would rather have non-displayed ID that can be produced as required, and that ID to say something along the lines of "please telephone the number on the back of your licence to check that this ID is genuine".

Having said that, whichever proves to be the case, genuine CRT or nosey parker dressing the part, this is an issue that should be resolved.

A genuine CRT person should NOT be asking questions like that. Their training should have concentrated on NOT asking such things.

Unfortunately I am one of those not very good at using the search function on here so can not find the post from last year when I raised this question of ID.

I raised it last year when I had a knock on my boat with some guy standing there with a CRT top on and he asked me when would I be leaving, as I had only arrived about 2 hours earlier I asked him what it had to do with him when I would be leaving? He said he worked for CRT and was ensuring I did not stay longer than 48 hours, I asked for ID and he said he had non but then admitted he was a volunteer.

A genuine CRT person should NOT be asking questions like that. Their training should have concentrated on NOT asking such things.

Absolutely agree. There are plenty of innocent things this could be. However there's two worse case scenarios this could be too. 1. He might be some bloke pretending to be CaRT staff in order to look in through boat windows in order to scout the place to rob, or to find lone women if he's a bloody psycho. Or 2. He's a psycho who signed up as a CaRT volunteer in order to get close to lone women who aren't living in busy areas. It wouldn't be the first time a predatory person has put themselves in a position where they can more easily access a potential victim.

I'd report it to both CaRT and the police. If you let CaRT know the police were also notified then I expect it'll help give them a sense of urgency in looking up their records of who it was. I know those sort of bad things are rare but you might be saving the next person from something horrid happening to them or at least ensuring CaRT properly vet and train their staff and volunteers.

Or not.

The trouble with photo ID is that such things are trivially easy to fake, and if they are displayed it simply makes it easier.

I would rather have non-displayed ID that can be produced as required, and that ID to say something along the lines of "please telephone the number on the back of your licence to check that this ID is genuine".

Having said that, whichever proves to be the case, genuine CRT or nosey parker dressing the part, this is an issue that should be resolved.

Fully concur with your assessment of a difficult issue but must take some blame as I failed to motivate myself off the couch to see who my wife was mumbling with!

Absolutely agree. There are plenty of innocent things this could be. However there's two worse case scenarios this could be too. 1. He might be some bloke pretending to be CaRT staff in order to look in through boat windows in order to scout the place to rob, or to find lone women if he's a bloody psycho. Or 2. He's a psycho who signed up as a CaRT volunteer in order to get close to lone women who aren't living in busy areas. It wouldn't be the first time a predatory person has put themselves in a position where they can more easily access a potential victim.

I'd report it to both CaRT and the police. If you let CaRT know the police were also notified then I expect it'll help give them a sense of urgency in looking up their records of who it was. I know those sort of bad things are rare but you might be saving the next person from something horrid happening to them or at least ensuring CaRT properly vet and train their staff and volunteers.

Agree, I will pursue this matter a little further and see where it goes.

I too would be inclined to ring the police (on 101) after all this could be part of somone's criminal behaviour pattern and the only people who have the central info. on this will be the police.

His line of questioning was very weird and either a poor attempt as a precursor to a chat up or something more sinister, either way both wrong.

Edited by The Dog House