Will a pro repaint pay for itself?

starman

Featured Posts

Went past a yard (Supreme Marine) last week which does grit-blast and 2-pack spray repaints. The results looked good so we are tempted as our boat could do with a paint job.

But with the sort of small jobs you invariably get done before a total repaint plus 2pk blacking and the dreaded VAT it could be getting towards £10k. What do the CWF pundits reckon - would we get anything like that back on added value? Or should we do a DIY tidy up job and carry on?

DIY every time for me too. Too much to damage a posh paint job on the cut (given that the boat moves a lot like ours.)

International Ten Year Enamel for me. Wears well and easy to touch up.

Edited by Guest

I can't believe that if you spent £10K on a full professional repaint , it could ever automatically add anything like the same amount to the price you were to realise if you then tried to sell the boat.

If you do any serious amount of boating on the same waterways as we do, I would suggest it will be very hard to prevent it quickly attracting at least some damage.

If you were going to spend £10K, the only relatively safe way of looking after it seems to be to tie your boat up in a marina and never venture out.

Just taking the topic slightly off-topic, but do people think that it's worth blackening with 2pk? even if double the price.[/quote

I've only used Intertuf on mine every 3 years at a very inexpensive dry dock and my 1990 hull is still in remarkably good condition so IMO 2 pack is an unnecessary expense

I know we are in a much more aggressive environment and also larger but the sheer hard work of cleaning chipping and painting some 1,400 sq feet of hull every couple of years was too much. Grit blasting and 2 pack should give us 10 years and then over coating with less preparation. (Now 7 years and apart from "chalking" is still fine)

eta........ an economic drydock around here is a myth !!!

Edited by John V

I should add that we are not 'shiny boaters' either and do serious cruising too (the great Ouse, the Wash, Chesterfield, Ripon so far this year and heading for Rochdale).

But we like a smart boat and having painted our last boat ourselves know the work involved so that's why a pro job tempts.

As a subsidiary question - 2 pack spray or traditional brush?

The hull black was sprayed as they needed to get a minimum thickness coat for the guarantee so the finish is a bit rough....rather what you would expect on an eightyfive year old working boat smile.png the upper part of the hull is just roller painted in conventional oil based paint as I don't find that a problem to do, it's just a matter of putting her on a nice sandy beach and spending an hour whistling round with a roller. It was the lower part of the hull and the bottom that gave me nightmares. The lovely thing about an old working boat is that if it's smooth and shiny you know it 'aint genuine! biggrin.png

I have just had our hull 2pk epoxied for the first time. At ten years old I decided to treat it. The hull is in really good nick and Rytex has done a good job every two or three years. First impressions of 2pk is that it seems to get right in to the slight pitting. Time will tell if it was worth the extra money.

Out, blacked and back in is between £8 and £10 per foot round here and that's them doing the blacking for you! £900 a week where are you moored John V? Narnia or somewhere.

K

That's the prices ....Port Medway floating dry dock......we're 66' x 16'6" beam approx 80 tons

edit to add if a lot of work was needed would possibly be considering Holland

Edited by John V

Just taking the topic slightly off-topic, but do people think that it's worth blackening with 2pk? even if double the price.

2 pack blacking is harder/tougher but when the boat strikes eg concrete, rock or metal its obviously going to go through the paint layer and scratch the underlying metal. Normal blacking smears, while 2 pack will chip off, so under lots of locking use etc normal blacking will fare better. But, 2 pack won't dissolve in solvents, so the waterline isn't as vulnerable as eg normal blacking if there is a film of diesel on the canal (which there often can be). And it will generally last much longer, therefore stretching the interval between blackings.

So a lot of it comes down to how the boat will be used and the relative costs of slipways/dry docks that you can use. For example if it were almost all of the time on a mooring, then 2 pack makes sense. If its used for lots of cruising, then normal would be better.

Just going back to the original Q - what do folk reckon to 2 pack spray painting rather than brush finishing?

Never done it myself, but my friend has sprayed three NB's over the years with two pack (he was a professional car restorer.) The finish is stunning, and the boats still look good after several years.

If I had 100k in the bank, and wanted to spend 10k on painting my boat I would.

I dont.

so I painted it myself for £60, and I'm very happy.

I'd be happier if I had 100k, but hey ho, such is life smile.png

021a.jpg

Edited by DeanS