How to tell if a boat listing is a scam?

Foxtrot

Featured Posts

Then whoever buys Tawny, when we eventually sell her (or our kids do cos we're no longer here) will smell a rat, we don't tend to keep receipts, and Richard does most of the fettling anyway.

Mind you in our case they'd only have to come on here to see who she belongs to, loads of witnesses!

Also can depends on where you buy from. We bought her direct from Alvechurch, she was in their colours (mind you she didn't belong to them, but to another company as an investment, and was being sold on their behalf) so it didn't even enter into our heads that she wasn't theirs to sell.

Sue

I worry about this too. We bought Iona through a broker, never meeting her previous owner. We were totally new to boating and were happy to part with our money in exchange for the boat and one piece of paper - a receipt from Harralls saying we'd paid them for the boat.

Since then Dave's done all the engine maintenance himself. I have kept all our licences and renewal notices, so I suppose they'd offer some comfort, but there's a complete blank paperwork wise from 1990 to 2008 and not a lot during our ownership.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I really like the look of this boat, it's just what I've been looking for smile.png Where is the boat moored? Would it be possible for me to come see it this weekend?

Thanks in advance.
Lee.
Lets see what happens lol.
Incidentally, pic 5 on the advert has the BW Reg. No. on it and a mobile number, can anyone read them?
Lee.
Edited by Black Country Lee

dont bother, she wont respond to my questions, Lool

I'm sure 99% of the responses scammers get are from people who have sussed it's a scam and are asking the awkward and/or revealing questions.

To get a response I suggest you just dive in and state you ar desperate to buy it NOW, before anyone else sees the advert.

MtB

I'm sure 99% of the responses scammers get are from people who have sussed it's a scam and are asking the awkward and/or revealing questions.

To get a response I suggest you just dive in and state you ar desperate to buy it NOW, before anyone else sees the advert.

MtB

I don't like to appear desperate but I tried :P

I did that Mike, i got a bite.

Lee, i put the name of the boat into jims head, and it came up with 2 possibles, and one where the numbers really did match up

Edited by Dar Kuma

It's a very distinctive boat, shouldn't take long to figure our what it's really called then we'll all know.

Maybe Kath's been on here and figured out selling an 8 or 10K boat (he guessed) for just a couple of grand under the right price isn't as stupid as selling a 50k boat for 10 grand like the last lot of ads that appeared under her name, sounds like she's learned something.

K

OMG I thought it was going to be tough finding a nice boat for circa £30,000. Now I could buy all these for that

http://loot.com/leisure-and-lifestyle/boats-and-watersports?doSearch=2&viewby=&sortby=new&location=Post+code&distance=50&pfrom=%C2%A3min&pto=%C2%A3max&user_type=&ad_type=1&price-types=&skeyword=narrowboat&keyword=&refine=Refine&date=0

No wonder this thread is on-going

Has anyone at LOOT got any idea that this is going on. I must admit, I have never thought to look there for a boat, its a good job I came across this page first. Thank you guys for all the tips. Mind you, I have looked up the location of some of the boats, and they are nowhere near a canal system. Barnstable in Devon, some road bridge in Sussex. I dont think so !

Right, now I'm actually home this was the reply I received...

Hello,
This boat its just perfect, Immaculate condition, no damages, once with the boat you will also get all the equipment my husband had.
The final price is not negotiable: £6720. My husband died 2 months ago and I can't even use it because I don't have a
driver's license. I had a buyer just 1 week ago but that person really scared me. He came with 2 friends and wanted to
pay me with fake notes. I was lucky that my father in law was close and noticed that. Since I'm getting a lot of
messages regarding the sale, I decided to list it on eBay with a buy it now option and whoever wins it will be the next
owner. I assume you already have an eBay account. If not, please register and let me know when you are ready so I can
email you the link.
If you'd like to secure the deal before anybody else does, then please buy it on eBay. Feel free to ask me any
questions.
Thanks
My reply just was...
Hi again, I do have another question. When and where can I view the boat?
Lee.
I don't expect a reply!
Lee.

Is she called isobella ?

No, it's the other one, Katherine Anne Parker and I've just had a reply...

Hello,
After my last experience I'm not welcome visits any more, sorry. The best way to complete this transaction, because of the distance problem (I'm in Ellon in Scotland, the boat is also here with me), is to use eBay Money Back Guarantee.
They will handle everything for both of us, including transportation and transfer of the boat papers to your name. You don't have to pay anything extra, the total price that you must pay for this boat is £6,720, including transportation and transfer of the papers to your name.
Here is how the transaction will go on:
-I will make a private eBay listing for you.
-You will have to click "buy it now", fill in the forms and follow the instructions.
-eBay will send you an invoice with all the transaction details and the payment instructions.
-You will have to secure the funds to eBay.
-After the funds will be secured to eBay, the delivery will begin and the boat will arrive to you in max. 48 hours.
-When the boat will be in your custody, you will have a 3 days inspection period. If everything is alright, the transaction ends and eBay will release the money to me. If there is something wrong with the boat, you will be fully refunded and I'll get my boat back too, without any extra fees.
Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received it. I would need your ebay username so I can send you the link. I'm waiting for your reply.
Thank you.
Yes of course I'll tell you all these details!!! For a start my date of birth is the 15th October 2014!!!! Lol.
Imagine the jiffy bag it'll turn up in?! I hope it's sent recorded delivery lol.
Lee.