External Internet aerials

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

I need some help because I'm baffled by the world of external Internet signal boosting aerials.

The 3G and mobile phone reception at my mooring is poor. Tried 3G on Three, Vodafone, O2 and EE and I only get one to two bars of reception which drops to zero intermittently. That's at the front end of the boat indoors. For some reason at the back of the boat the reception is almost always zero.

It's marginally more reliable outside on the bow but not much. Still only 1-2 bars.

I'm several hundred feet away from the nearest pub with free Cloud WiFi. However there is a bridge between me and the pub and the pub's own WiFi doesn't even reach as far as its own pub garden

So what are my options for boosting my Internet signal? Would a WiFi booster aerial enable me to tap into the pub signal despite the issues listed above? And if so what sort of aerial to I get?

Or do I go for an external aerial to boost my 3G signal? (Is that a different sort of aerial to the WiFi one or are they the same thing?) There are so many different Internet aerials out there I don't know where to begin: some list different wavelengths they work on too or claim to be ideal for specific things like BT Internet signal boost.

I'm confused! :wacko:

Please can any of you who have direct experience of using external WiFi or 3G signal boosting aerials please give me some advice or recommendations about equipment?

Thanks.

Using the pub Wi-Fi connection won't help with you telephone signal, unless you are using an app such as Skype. You seem to be too far away from the pub anyway, so I think that is probably a non-starter. There is a company called Zead that sell Wi-Fi boosting aerials but I don't know how good they are. There are certainly other companies as well that produce them but I don't recall their names.

I did some extensive research over the last couple of years and did a thread on this forum recently on my findings, both on improving telephone reception as well as Internet. You might find it useful.

The link is here:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=67325&hl=%2Binternet+%2Bsignals

Ken

I get good WiFi over several hundred feet at our marina using a combination of something like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMA-RP-SMA-Extension-Cable-Magnet-Holder-2-4-GHz-802-11-Omni-WiFi-Antenna-/261269883267?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones_Communication_Radio_Antennas&hash=item3cd4e60983

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000mw-Wireless-Lan-card-USB-Wifi-Adapter-6-dBi-Antenna-UK-SELLER-/230926090511?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item35c444810f

The aerial has to be external, obviously. The adapter is much higher transmit power than is normal (and strictly legal) which is the secret of success,

There are no guarantees, but it may be worth a try.

For 3G, I use a Huawei E3131 dongle with external aerial, and that also works well, especially on EE.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

Solwise seems to really know their stuff.. I have a similar story at home and their recommendation was for a high gain omni directional aerial ( as you are not sure where the signal is being reflected from) which is about £80.

Others have confirmed that "high gain" aerials from E-Bay are not and most are hardly worth the postage - even shops sell these... you need to get a known good aerial for improving mobile broadband, but it is worth the inevitable cost..

Nick

Thanks Ken. That's a really thorough write up. Your set up sounded ideal for cruising (which is what I used to do and also found Vodafone nigh on useless all over the country)

The chances of your set up improving reception a good % of the time when cruising is ideal. I'm going to be stationary for the foreseeable future on my mooring though, so I'm a little nervous of forking out well over £100 on am aerial on top of MiFi kit that might make minimal difference in my location. I'm unlikely to have the option of moving anywhere else in the short to mid term. Sounds like the Three MiFi you chose would be a goer for me as I have a contract with Three and they're pretty good. I'll look that up.

I'll certainly bear your aerial findings in mind but I'm also interested in other people's findings with less pricey kit.

Thanks

I'll certainly bear your aerial findings in mind but I'm also interested in other people's findings with less pricey kit.

Thanks

This what I use. You do however need a suitable dongle or mi-fi, ie one that can accept an external aerial. I got my dongle off eBay for a few quid.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=65454&p=1282414

It won't of course pick up a signal if there isn't one at all but where there is a marginal or weak one it can be the deiiference between getting internet access or not. My dongle is unlocked but I predominantly use it with a a three Sim.

Edited by The Dog House

Hi BSP

this topic covers what i mentioned when i saw you. I would be very surprised if you couldn't get a connection from the pub with this.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=37430&st=0

Thanks. I've read it but to be honest I don't really understand it, I'm afraid.

I very much need lay person terms because I don't know what plugs into what or why, what it's best for boosting or how, let alone how that kit differs in function from the kit Ken wrote about or the eBay links Moomy has shared.

If anyone can idiot proof their recommendations that'd be handy. :)

Thanks

Solwise seems to really know their stuff.. I have a similar story at home and their recommendation was for a high gain omni directional aerial ( as you are not sure where the signal is being reflected from) which is about £80.

Others have confirmed that "high gain" aerials from E-Bay are not and most are hardly worth the postage - even shops sell these... you need to get a known good aerial for improving mobile broadband, but it is worth the inevitable cost..

Nick

I use a Solwise to get BT Hotspots but it cost a lot less than £80

If anyone can idiot proof their recommendations that'd be handy. :)

Thanks

Plug dongle into lap top

Plug aerial lead into dongle

Attach aerial to roof with magnetic base

Switch on Laptop

Surf internet

:)

Plug dongle into lap top

Plug aerial lead into dongle

Attach aerial to roof with magnetic base

Switch on Laptop

Surf internet

That is the exact level of idiot proofing I needed. :clapping:

So I use a tablet computer that can't run a Dongle (doesn't do .exe files) which means I need to use either my device's built in microSIM which is on a Three contract or use the device's WiFi pickerupper. Now this is where I get into the realms of Huawei contraptions which is where I get lost again.

Am I right in thinking I can tap into a Huawei signal from any WiFi enabled device like my phone as well? So to make a Huawei thing reliable I'd need one that can take an external aerial.

So I'm going to need the following:

1. Huawei thing Ken recommended or a different one unlocked or unlock codes? What's best?

2.Aerial that either Ken recommended or the cheaper one TDH recommended (would either aerial fit?)

3.Three to send me a duplicate SIM to put in the Huawei

4. 12v chargers for any of the above that requires power

5. Abandon the pub WiFi idea or can I use any of the same kit listed above for that?

6. Anything else?

And how can I be sure anything I'm buying will be compatible with each other?

Thanks Ken. That's a really thorough write up. Your set up sounded ideal for cruising (which is what I used to do and also found Vodafone nigh on useless all over the country)

The chances of your set up improving reception a good % of the time when cruising is ideal. I'm going to be stationary for the foreseeable future on my mooring though, so I'm a little nervous of forking out well over £100 on am aerial on top of MiFi kit that might make minimal difference in my location. I'm unlikely to have the option of moving anywhere else in the short to mid term. Sounds like the Three MiFi you chose would be a goer for me as I have a contract with Three and they're pretty good. I'll look that up.

Thanks

Hi BSP

Another possible option, if you use '3' and have a smartphone, either an iPhone or an Android device, is a new app from '3' called 'Three in Touch'. You can use your '3' phone, via the Internet either via a Wi-Fi connection or your own Mi-Fi unit if you have one. You use your '3' minutes and not, as I understand it, any data usage charges. I haven't looked into it any further as my existing set-up works superbly. If you manage to sort out your Wi-Fi connection satisfactorily it may well be a cheaper alternative to installing an expensive dedicated telephone aerial.

Ken

That is the exact level of idiot proofing I needed. :clapping:

So I use a tablet computer that can't run a Dongle (doesn't do .exe files) which means I need to use either my device's built in microSIM which is on a Three contract or use the device's WiFi pickerupper. Now this is where I get into the realms of Huawei contraptions which is where I get lost again.

Am I right in thinking I can tap into a Huawei signal from any WiFi enabled device like my phone as well? So to make a Huawei thing reliable I'd need one that can take an external aerial.

So I'm going to need the following:

1. Huawei thing Ken recommended or a different one unlocked or unlock codes? What's best?

2.Aerial that either Ken recommended or the cheaper one TDH recommended (would either aerial fit?)

3.Three to send me a duplicate SIM to put in the Huawei

4. 12v chargers for any of the above that requires power

5. Abandon the pub WiFi idea or can I use any of the same kit listed above for that?

6. Anything else?

And how can I be sure anything I'm buying will be compatible with each other?

I just saw your latest post.

The '3' MiFi unit, the Huawei one you mention, creates its own Wi-Fi hotspot and can run up to 5 devices. ie laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc. it is very easy to set up, you just switch it on and search for it on your tablet, etc and then enter the units password. Once it's recognised it further connection is automatic. It only needs to be unlocked if it's not a '3' sourced device. Other networks, O2, EE, Vodafone etc do similar, but in my experience the '3' network has the best coverage. However if you are not moving then whichever network works best in your area.

There are various producers of aerials, I use Connex Technologies, but I believe Solwise are also good.

I believe the unit The Dog House is recommending will be a single unit dongle which plugs into a laptop or computer. Unless your tablet has a USB port it wouldn't be suitable. The advantage of a Mi-Fi unit is it's ability to service multiple devices wirelessly.

You can get a data only sim from '3'. Other networks will also sell data only sims.

12v chargers you can get from Maplins. Just take your device in to them and they will advise the correct charger.

The Huawei units are not compatible with Wi-Fi. It's a different system.

Hope that helps.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Hi BSP

Another possible option, if you use '3' and have a smartphone, either an iPhone or an Android device, is a new app from '3' called 'Three in Touch'. You can use your '3' phone, via the Internet either via a Wi-Fi connection or your own Mi-Fi unit if you have one. You use your '3' minutes and not, as I understand it, any data usage charges. I haven't looked into it any further as my existing set-up works superbly. If you manage to sort out your Wi-Fi connection satisfactorily it may well be a cheaper alternative to installing an expensive dedicated telephone aerial.

Ken

We are in a weak '3' signal area and so I've tried out Three In Touch, works well so far. Therefore when my Talk Talk sim contract is up I will probably revert to my Three 321 PAYG sim.

I've noticed that the '3' phone signal isn't as good as the data one so using this app with a '3' MiFi would be ideal for getting better phone calls.

I wish they'd introduced the app before we took the contract out!

We are in a weak '3' signal area and so I've tried out Three In Touch, works well so far. Therefore when my Talk Talk sim contract is up I will probably revert to my Three 321 PAYG sim.

I've noticed that the '3' phone signal isn't as good as the data one so using this app with a '3' MiFi would be ideal for getting better phone calls.

I wish they'd introduced the app before we took the contract out!

The Three in touch app is OK but certainly not perfect. I find it sometimes drops calls or the call doesn't connect at all.

Hi, I am using one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281337936480?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and a card simmilar to that mentioned

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000mw-Wireless-Lan-card-USB-Wifi-Adapter-6-dBi-Antenna-UK-SELLER-/230926090511?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item35c444810f

Get full 5 bar signal connected to my local supermarkets O2 free wifi all in the comfort of my boat some 100;s of yards away

Ray

Edited by raymondh

Thanks everyone. As my interweb deal on my tablet is with Three, I've decided to plomp for the Three Huwaei E5756 (or whatever the number was) that Ken recommended. And due to cheapskatery, I'm combining it with the cheaper aerial for now (the skinny one TDH recommended). I'll see how I get on with those and if the tiny aerial doesn't work where I am I've not lost a huge amount of money and could always flog it on here. I may decide to try the pricey aerial later on.

I'll let you know how I get on (people in chat will know straight away because hopefully I won't find myself being hoofed every five minutes coz of dodgy connection, as usual)

Thanks everyone. As my interweb deal on my tablet is with Three, I've decided to plomp for the Three Huwaei E5756 (

Have a look at the Huawei E5372. This is a 4g device, with antenna ports. You may not get 4g now but it will come and the difference is amazing.

Thanks everyone. As my interweb deal on my tablet is with Three, I've decided to plomp for the Three Huwaei E5756 (or whatever the number was) that Ken recommended. And due to cheapskatery, I'm combining it with the cheaper aerial for now (the skinny one TDH recommended). I'll see how I get on with those and if the tiny aerial doesn't work where I am I've not lost a huge amount of money and could always flog it on here. I may decide to try the pricey aerial later on.

I'll let you know how I get on (people in chat will know straight away because hopefully I won't find myself being hoofed every five minutes coz of dodgy connection, as usual)

Just make sure the aerial is the same type as I linked to connection wise. You need a TS 9 connection for that mi-fi.

Should be - professor ebay said it was

Job done then. :)

If you don't get the results you want at first I find moving the antenna even just a foot or so can make a difference. I know where the best spot is now on our roof when we are on the mooring.

The lead should be long enough to allow for this.

Have a look at the Huawei E5372. This is a 4g device, with antenna ports. You may not get 4g now but it will come and the difference is amazing.

I have the Huawei E5372 (3G & 4G) and the Huawei E5756 (3G only) also on the Three network - the Huawei E5372 (3G & 4G) is nice on 4G where you can get it (centre of Reading and Oxford only so far !!) BUT it's battery is pathetic, doesn,t last long and once flat you have to charge it up a good while before you can use it again.....the Huawei E5756 (3G only) which I use everywhere else on 3G is brilliant, goes almost all day before needing to charge and if flat, just plug the charger in and carry on using...no waiting...

The Huawei E5756 (3G only) has a single external aerial socket and the Huawei E5372 (3G & 4G) has two external sockets....I do not have an external aerial yet, but have'nt needed one yet either... I have had coverage everywhere I have stopped from Devizes to Reading, the whole of the River Wey to Godalming and the Thames from the River Wey to Oxford... Just stuck to the glass of the porthole with blue tack - works like a bomb...

So the Huawei E5756 (3G only) is still my choice, but 4G speed is NICE !! - The Huawei E5372 battery is changable...maybe they will come out with one that lasts longer...

BTW the Huawei E5756 (3G only) does not open up, so if the battery goes it will have to be sent in to be changed !!!

EDIT to add - Phone is on EE network and we have endless trouble getting a signal, usually have to hold it out the hatch to send an SMS frusty.gif

Edited by Gypsey_Kings