elecrical problem with outboard

Featured Posts

Assuming its a petrol outboard - You need :-

Spark

Fuel

Air

Have you checked if you have a spark (take plug out, lean it on the top - metal part - of the engine, look at the gap whilst turning the engine over, is there a spark ?)

Fuel - sufficient ? or have you wet the plug, choke position ? How old is the fuel ?

Air - is filter clean and dry, or soaked with petrol ?

When was it last used and did it work OK then ?

Before calling a mechanic check all as above posts, also is the fuel air vent open, check the kill cord, check fuel tap, check fuel is getting into the carb. All these little checks will only take a few minutes and may well prove to be effective.

Phil

I'm a bit thick but battery doing nothing. not making a sound when I try to turn it over. think I need mobile mechanic.

I'm at Richmond in London

I presume you mean nothing happens when you try to do an electric start. If the battery is OK this points to a wiring problem or possibly a starter motor failure. Check all connections. Is there an ignition warning light? Does it come on when you turn the key?

Do you have the option of a pull start? If so you can try the basic checks Alan de Enfield lists.

Have you actually removed the battery terminals, cleaned the mating surfaces to bright metal, spread Vaseline over the battery posts and refitted. A neglected negative post that has gone black and hard cab cause those exact symptoms. Otherwise see if someone will use a power pack to jump start it. If that works then you probably have a flat battery and that is not particularly surprising seeing most outboards only have a very modest battery charging current, if any at all.

Ok. it was the solonoied. I was told there was someone called Andy on a liveaboard just above Teddington lock. this afternoon I set of in my tender. beached the tender by wier crossed the bridge and found the liveaboards. nice helpful people. 10 mins and tracked Andy down. 1 and half hours later he was on my boat with it fixed. This is the best bit, only charged me 25 quid. I gave him 30 and still thought I was robbing him. I recommend him and he goes all over country.