Danish Oil

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

Having just used some Danish Oil for the first time, I was amazed to see the instructions for drying the cloths that have been used for applying the oil. It says to lay flat to dry, as otherwise it may catch fire. Does anyone know why this might/could happen? Annoyingly, the management has banned me from leaving the cloth scrunched up to see if it happens or not.

There are some volatile oils in Danish oil that, exposed to extreme heat/ignition source could, (under unusual conditions), light.

However, it's much more likely for white spirit (and similar) to ignite - but presumably users are more attuned to that likelihood

I had never thought about white spirit spontaneously combusting either. All these fun things to try some day.

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the curing/drying process of Danish oil creates a certain amount of heat. If the application cloth is left scrunched up that heat can become sufficient to cause it to spontaneously combust.

I have used Danish oil for a few things in the past and find myself following the same procedure for the cloth after application whatever oil I use. I have no idea if the others can combust the same. I usually douse the cloth in water and lay flat to dry before putting it in the bin (maybe 24 hours later)

We are currently using some floor oil on the boat and it is a bit inconvenient to find somewhere to lay the used cloth out without it getting oil where we don't want in onboard, or it blowing away outside so we have simply put the cloth in the stove. If it bursts into flames no harm will be done.

Maybe that is a safe way to experiment with your Danish oil cloth?

Danish Oil!!! What is Danish Oil? In specific terms, there is no such thing, it is a generic term or a range of oil polishes which may (or may not) contain Tung Oil, Linseed oil, or both, along with some other undefined oils. Ok if you find one that works for you, stick with that one, but do not expect another brand to perform in the same manner.

I have only ever tried it a couple of times on garden furniture and was less than impressed with it's durability. it's one advantage is that it requires no skill to apply and can therefore be used byanyone.

Edited by David Schweizer

I suspect it contains boiled linseed oil which at certain temperatures (About 30 deg C) and the correct 'dampness' can heat up sufficiently to cause cloth/paper to smolder (about 250 deg C). A combination of circumstances unlikely to be found outside a 'health and safety' laboratory, so the warning is just a CMA (cover my A**) warning, in case anyone sue's as the manufacturer can say they have been warned.

Coal dust and flour can be explosive in unusual circumstances, but you don't see that on packets.

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the curing/drying process of Danish oil creates a certain amount of heat. If the application cloth is left scrunched up that heat can become sufficient to cause it to spontaneously combust.

I have used Danish oil for a few things in the past and find myself following the same procedure for the cloth after application whatever oil I use. I have no idea if the others can combust the same. I usually douse the cloth in water and lay flat to dry before putting it in the bin (maybe 24 hours later)

We are currently using some floor oil on the boat and it is a bit inconvenient to find somewhere to lay the used cloth out without it getting oil where we don't want in onboard, or it blowing away outside so we have simply put the cloth in the stove. If it bursts into flames no harm will be done.

Maybe that is a safe way to experiment with your Danish oil cloth?

We have indeed put the rags in the wood stove, for the same reasons as you.

I suspect it contains boiled linseed oil which at certain temperatures (About 30 deg C) and the correct 'dampness' can heat up sufficiently to cause cloth/paper to smolder (about 250 deg C). A combination of circumstances unlikely to be found outside a 'health and safety' laboratory, so the warning is just a CMA (cover my A**) warning, in case anyone sue's as the manufacturer can say they have been warned.

Coal dust and flour can be explosive in unusual circumstances, but you don't see that on packets.

Unfortunately, you are wrong. Discarded rags contaminated with linseed oil are quite capable of spontaneously combusting (especially when incorrectly stored or disposed of) and there have been many serious fires due to this. The effect is due to the fibres in the rags creating a large surface area for the oil to react with atmospheric oxygen and heat up and eventually ignite. I am sure that any of the fire officers who subscribe to this forum will corroborate this fact, so don't be complacent when disposing of or storing such items.

Quote from East Sussex Fire and Rescuce Service website...

"The rate of oxidation at normal temperatures is usually so slow that the released heat is transferred to surroundings areas as rapidly as it is formed, with no increase in temperature of the material (did you know that rusting metal generates heat! - albeit very small amounts that rapidly dissipate). However this is not the case with Linseed and some other oils - which generate heat much more rapidly than can be dissipated, with a resulting temperature increase in the material. In order for spontaneous ignition to occur, there must be sufficient oxygen available for the reaction to proceed, but not so much draft that the heat is carried away as quickly as it is generated.

For example, a linseed oil-soaked rag may heat spontaneously in the bottom of a container, but would not do so if hung on a clothesline where air movement would remove the heat as quickly as it was formed. Because of the many possible combinations of air supply and insulation, it is impossible to predict with certainty whether or not a material will heat spontaneously. East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service would advise that oil soaked rags are not stored inside a building and the following methods of safe disposal are considered:

• Hang the rag out to dry on a washing line first before disposing of in your rubbish bin.
  • Soak the rag in water and seal in a plastic bag before disposal in your rubbish bin
  • Storing in an air tight (preferably metal) container.
  • If safe - controlled burning."

Edited for spelling and addition of information.

Edited by Speedy23

I can confirm that the active ingredient in Danish Oil which causes the combustion risk is linseed oil. I can also confirm that linseed oil is capable of spontaneous combustion.

One thing which hasn't been mentioned above is the risk of oxygen being quickly added, with explosive results! For example, if I spend a happy day oiling all of the new woodwork in my boat, and I discard my used rags into a bin bag, which I then tie up (sealing it, meaning very little oxygen can get in) the rags will sit there and nothing will happen. However, the rags will not dry out very quickly. as there is no air; I will in effect have created a small bomb! Should the boss come along and open the bag to add some kitchen refuse, which I no-doubt would have overlooked, or should a passing dog or fox get the scent of something in the bag and go to it, the addition of oxygen to the wet rags as the bag was opened could well cause immediate combustion, not a nice thought! Linseed oil was used extensively on old sailing ships, and more than once was the cause of the fiery demise of many sailors.

Hang your rags out to dry (doesn't take long) then once dry (and stiff) you can dispose of them with no danger. I do like the woodburner idea though...

NB: Anyone seeking to experiment should skip the middle man (Danish Oil) and just buy boiled linseed oil.