praise for Santander, re the scam boat ads!

Tiller Trash

Featured Posts

Well, I'm very impressed with Santander. I sent the money for my boat via internet banking, within 20 minutes Santander called me, to check that the transaction was genuine, as the transaction was out of the ordinary. I explained it was, and told him what it was for. Immediately he asked if I had seen the boat, and been allowed on board, had it been started with a key, etc. I explained it was all above board, he then said they have had people scammed by false add for boats, motorhomes etc, and as people had authorises the payment, the bank were not liable to give them their money back. Once he was happy that it is a genuine purchase of a real boat, he released the money.

I think for the slight inconvenience of a phone call, knowing that the bank are keeping an eye on my account, is excellent service, it put my mind at rest that my money is safe (even if there's not much left now haha!)

Thought I'd tell you'd guys, considering the thread from only yesterday regarding the scam ads!

LloydsTSb (as was) were great at this - I used to travel the world (on business) and have been to many countries and used my credit card regularly.

One day I got a call saying that someone in a country I had never previously visited was trying to use my card, it turned out it was my wife, using our 'joint card' whilst she was on holiday in Turkey - asked what she was intending to buy, and at what price and 'cleared it' so they 'let her buy' he jewelry.

Had a good laugh about it when she came back, she was sure I'd somehow got the bank keeping 'tabs' on her.

(Good old LloydsTSB - got to keep an eye on the wifes expenditure you know !!!!)

Never hurts to let your bank know if you're about to do something unusual with a large sum of filthy lucre!

I've tried to do this in the past, but I've been told they can't pre-authorise a transaction and they'll give me a call if it flags up.

Never hurts to let your bank know if you're about to do something unusual with a large sum of filthy lucre!

We bought a car using Santander and I went into the bank first only to be told there was no point in telling them up front, if they thought it was out of order they would still ask before paying.

Edit I see Kia got in first,

Write, I must read all the thread before replying 100 times

Edited by ditchcrawler

I find it amazing that anyone can show any appreciation of these fanatics that call themselves 'responsible' ..... Forgive the cynicism, these so called pinions of monetary lenders are stifled by their own stupid rules, and you cannot change my mind :-)

We in process of buying a property. First off, we cannot let santanduh! know we thinking of further financial affairs because they feel the need to question what we are doing ... And if you tick the wrong box, they can request their money back .... It is a minefield!

With the people who are providing our new BLT mortgage, they sent our offer to the wrong solicitors, completely irrational action on their part, and then insisted that we had to phone then to confirm our offer is sent to our solicitors before they can proceed! Us being afloat and 'cruising'didnt exactly speed things up.....

Sorry..... Santander just like the rest ..... You cannot rely on them any more than you can avoid the pointy finger of a judgemental biggot upon noticing your licence is out of date ♥ blessings and peace to you all ♥ xxx

It is good sometimes - Barclays are rubbish at times - they have froze my account for a £1 National Express coach ticket saying it was dodgy activity! And some other stupid things, but never about the really big stuff!

A few months ago we were looking at buying a property at auction, and if successful would need to pay the deposit on the day. I thought it better to clear this with Barclays in advance and went into the branch near work. On my way to a counter I was intercepted by a member of staff with an ipad. Having explained the issue to him he entered my debit card number and pulled up my account details. He assured me that my account was good for the sum involved, and payment should go through without a problem, but that if the fraud checks raised any questions they would phone me for confirmation. A few more taps on the screen and he confirmed that they had my current mobile number.

All very quick and effective.

But never put to the test as we got outbid!

It is good sometimes - Barclays are rubbish at times - they have froze my account for a £1 National Express coach ticket saying it was dodgy activity! And some other stupid things, but never about the really big stuff!

Small transactions out of your normal spending pattern will often trigger their fraud detection systems. They are sometimes used to test out a cards validity as a pre cursor to making a bigger fraudulent transaction.

My card has been frozen twice following small charitable donations, neither of which I had made but flagged to Nat West that my debit card had been cloned, which it had.