Are the following Narrow boat selling sites legitimate?

weswally

Featured Posts

What checks does THIS site do to ensure items in the classifieds area are legitimate?

I was wondering that too.

None I would imagine, in which case that makes CWF a scam site too by Tony's logic, which I imagine is your point.

MtB

If a narrowboat is for sale at a cheap price because its previous owner was a former president of Nigeria who dies in a helicopter crash and his widow is disposing of his assets... well, then you have bargain! These folk also know of buried gold deposits in the Iraq desert that they'll share with you if you'd like to bung them a few thousand quid as a deposit...

From what I have seen, these folk on canalworld.net will point you fairly and squarely in the right direction. You should really make a list of questions, and a list of things to look at, in regards to buying any narrowboat. I must have asked our boat's previous owner 200 questions! Don't be blue-eyed but on the other hand don't be too negative - so long as the hull and engine are (really) sound and blacking has been done and safety certificate is valid. Engine and boat history documentation is worth its weight.

What checks does THIS site do to ensure items in the classifieds area are legitimate?

None.

The same as our local classified advertising paper doesn't.

Buyer beware!

An update...

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:50:39 +0100
Subject: Re: Enquiry from boatzone regarding Leet Gi’en II

Hi,
The boat will be delivered to you with Shiply, eBay's official shipping company with a lorry. You are not resonsable for any damage that could happen on the route. As about the payment, the payment is not directly to me. The money must be sent to eBay payment agent. The payment instructions, as I told you, will be sent to you by eBay once the purchase is complete.
Since i had a buyer who changed his mind. The boat is already prepared for the shipping. Since I'm already enrolled into eBay Money Back Guarantee Program and I have already paid for the delivery and everything, the boat is into eBay custody and only authorized eBay staff have access. Anyway, it should't be a problem since you will have 3 days to inspect and test the boat before you will decide if you will buy it or not.. and after eBay can release the money to me.
Should I list it with a buy it now so you can buy it ? I would need your ebay username so I can send you the link. I'm waiting for your reply.
Thank you
Me- Hello Isabella,
The problem with using ebay is that although I have the funds available, I was declared bankrupt last year and so I am not allowed to have a PayPal account until the bankruptcy is discharged and that won't be until February 2015. I bought a boat earlier this year which I have now sold, and I paid for that with a Western Union money transfer. Is there a WU office in Ellon? If so, I would be able to proceed very quickly, probably tomorrow.
By suggesting Western Union as the payment method, I'm trying to find out where the scammer is based. My guess is "Isabella" will be only too pleased to accept a Western Union payment, but for some convoluted reason, will ask for it to be sent to a Western Union office in Nigeria.

eBay already has a buyer's money back guarantee scheme.

I am a little bit wiser now (I hope) but about 10 years ago I bought a motorbike with eBay's money back guarantee scheme, sadly enough this worked-out to be a scam too.

If I remember well the real eBay thing is called "safeharbor", and on the scam it was changed into "safetyharbor".

eBay wasn't at all interested that it was so damn easy to divert from their real thing, and of course didn't pay me back, not even a penny.

I'm much more careful now, but as I always trust everybody a bit too easy, it could happen again.

Peter.

As far as I am aware Dan makes no charge to insert an advert on this site and it is very subsidiary to the main purpose of the site. Also the vast majority if not all the adverts are from known members. You even have to be a member to post in that section. Ebay on the other had do make a charge at some point, likewise Friday Add etc will try to upsell their "service" to gain money. Many also gain money be adding adverts to their sites.

If a site is making money from advertisers in any way then I still say they should be jointly libel for losses caused by their advertisers. Sill I know many on here do not agree because it rather tends to limit free enterprise and goes some way to give additional protection to consumers.

eBay already has a buyer's money back guarantee scheme.

Of course they do until you try to claim it back I was involved in one but my partner is a bank manager so the bank scammed the scammer and the internet fraud squad had to sort out giving back the monies ebay didnt want to know. Their is loads on the net about it and ebays slopey shoulders attitude to it Tony is right the sites should be liable

Peter

Of course they do until you try to claim it back I was involved in one but my partner is a bank manager so the bank scammed the scammer and the internet fraud squad had to sort out giving back the monies ebay didnt want to know. Their is loads on the net about it and ebays slopey shoulders attitude to it Tony is right the sites should be liable

Peter

I still don't get why the sites should be liable when it is the lying scammers who are actually liable.

How on earth are ebay supposed to identify a lying scammer?

MtB

I still don't get why the sites should be liable when it is the lying scammers who are actually liable.

How on earth are ebay supposed to identify a lying scammer?

MtB

Well this topic clearly shows that it is not difficult if you have the time and determination. I doubt anyone can identify scammers 100% but that's what insurance is for. However with the lack of interest and action by these advert sites would make the cost of insurance prohibitive form them. That would force them to either clean their act up or go out do business. Either way a result.

And in replay to earlier posts, yes I would make the mail companies, junk mail distributors, telephone companies, and internet service providers jointly libel for customer's losses to scammers.. It would probably need a change in the law to allow mail to be opened and intercepted but it would be, in my view, worth it. At the moment these companies put profits (or lower losses) way above their customers. BT even charge customers who want to try to protect themselves to some degree. However I think that I am a realist. No government of any description is going to put the interests of their population before their and their business friends pockets.

Ebay is perfect for things like whistling kettles, touring bicycles, 12v mini-fridge for our boat, books, tools.... have had only 2 minor disappointments in around 200 transactions over 10 years. Huge selection of clothes for children on Ebay, perfect for my daughter's 3-year-old :)

Bought a tongs/shovel/poker set from Ebay for our narrowboat - very happy with that!

I too answered an ad on loot knowing full well it was a scam and have received the same email as southern star.

I think I will let it run as well and see how far we can get before the scammer realises I am not going to part with any money :-)

Starcross looks a superb bargain even at the real price of £29k!

Sold now no doubt.

I wonder how many times smile.png

MtB

Yes, definitely sold - and only the once (by me at least!) It went for a bit less in the end but to be fair it did need quite a bit of work doing on it. The "fake" advert text was lifted from the broker's (genuine) website entry.

An update...

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:50:39 +0100

Subject: Re: Enquiry from boatzone regarding Leet Gi’en II

Hi,
The boat will be delivered to you with Shiply, eBay's official shipping company with a lorry. You are not resonsable for any damage that could happen on the route. As about the payment, the payment is not directly to me. The money must be sent to eBay payment agent. The payment instructions, as I told you, will be sent to you by eBay once the purchase is complete.
Since i had a buyer who changed his mind. The boat is already prepared for the shipping. Since I'm already enrolled into eBay Money Back Guarantee Program and I have already paid for the delivery and everything, the boat is into eBay custody and only authorized eBay staff have access. Anyway, it should't be a problem since you will have 3 days to inspect and test the boat before you will decide if you will buy it or not.. and after eBay can release the money to me.
Should I list it with a buy it now so you can buy it ? I would need your ebay username so I can send you the link. I'm waiting for your reply.
Thank you
Me- Hello Isabella,
The problem with using ebay is that although I have the funds available, I was declared bankrupt last year and so I am not allowed to have a PayPal account until the bankruptcy is discharged and that won't be until February 2015. I bought a boat earlier this year which I have now sold, and I paid for that with a Western Union money transfer. Is there a WU office in Ellon? If so, I would be able to proceed very quickly, probably tomorrow.
By suggesting Western Union as the payment method, I'm trying to find out where the scammer is based. My guess is "Isabella" will be only too pleased to accept a Western Union payment, but for some convoluted reason, will ask for it to be sent to a Western Union office in Nigeria.

Good detecting detective.gif

Has Isabella accepted your "offer"?