My boat has sunk in Kingston (1939 ww2 wooden motor cruiser)

Marcuswarry

Featured Posts

Thanks CarlT ...

I guess I might just raise the gunwales today then, and staple to the wheel house roof...

Another good chap who I found on the Facebook group, london boaters' had his 1922 boat sink on the canal recently too. And he's hiring pumps... These may be available for me to try tomorrow... So there is a chance we might have a bash tomorrow if anyone is around?

Marcus

It seems that Arthur has a plan for divers to lift the boat and would be interested to hear more.

Personally if I had divers available I would get them to wrap the whole hull in plastic sealing it up, rather than trying to mechanically lift the boat with floats.

I believe Arthur practically has divers standing by

Richard

Around here, it takes over a year for the EA to recover sunken boats- but mostly they just dredge them if wooden, and several formerly beautiful wooden cruisers have ended up in bits at their Ely yard before being disposed of. There's one on the bottom near Upware, it's been the for over a year but I suspect it's days are numbered sad.png

Make that 2 years.

I have divers from two sources interested in helping, I have proposed the weekend of 16 -17 August but nothing is set in stone and the project needs pumps, big pumps, and several of them. There is no significant electricity on location, so we need fuel powered pumps. I suspect that for the month of August EA will have seen that Marcus is putting in the effort to raise the boat, and not bother him, however the chances of a successful recovery decrease with time and one good winter flood flow on the Thames will wreck the hull.

My plan is to raise the boat til the gunwales are level with the surface by added buoyancy then start to pump it out. I've sourced the divers and lifting bags, but I no longer have a source of a Godiva (4" suction ) water pump which was what I used last time.

Yes I have done exactly this before (a 35ft ex pilot cutter, carvel built, that sank in the Trent).

All Marcus needs now is one concerted attempt to raise the boat safely for the boat and all people. Does anyone actually want to assist with this project.

Pumps petrol or diesel and work boats are the biggest needs at the moment.

If 16 - 17 Aug is no good then please someone say,

So the boat may need raising for Marcus rather than by or with Marcus.

I'm still available to lead or work on a salvage effort, Would Bank holiday weekend be better? The Thames may be busier and the hire shops will be shut but we could have three days rather than two and hopefully Marcus' thumb may be improved by then.

The boat still needs raising having seen the river flow rate during last winter's storms I doubt that would do good to the boat.

I have divers from two sources interested in helping, I have proposed the weekend of 16 -17 August but nothing is set in stone and the project needs pumps, big pumps, and several of them. There is no significant electricity on location, so we need fuel powered pumps. I suspect that for the month of August EA will have seen that Marcus is putting in the effort to raise the boat, and not bother him, however the chances of a successful recovery decrease with time and one good winter flood flow on the Thames will wreck the hull.

My plan is to raise the boat til the gunwales are level with the surface by added buoyancy then start to pump it out. I've sourced the divers and lifting bags, but I no longer have a source of a Godiva (4" suction ) water pump which was what I used last time.

Yes I have done exactly this before (a 35ft ex pilot cutter, carvel built, that sank in the Trent).

All Marcus needs now is one concerted attempt to raise the boat safely for the boat and all people. Does anyone actually want to assist with this project.

Pumps petrol or diesel and work boats are the biggest needs at the moment.

If 16 - 17 Aug is no good then please someone say,

Excuse me asking but I can't help feeling a little concerned here.

These plans you are making? Are they on Marcus' behalf with his full support or are you taking over despite his own plans?

If I'm misunderstanding something please forgive me

The plans I suggested were first suggested to Marcus after visiting him and seeing the boat, He was until his trip to hospital fully aware of these plans and accepted them.

Bazza If you want me out of this then please make a better offer, come and see the site and offer some physical labour on your chosen day.

Remember the aim is to raise a historic vessel in a way sympathetic to it's condition, and preferably leave it floating stably for Marcus to work on.

The plans I suggested were first suggested to Marcus after visiting him and seeing the boat, He was until his trip to hospital fully aware of these plans and accepted them.

Bazza If you want me out of this then please make a better offer, come and see the site and offer some physical labour on your chosen day.

Remember the aim is to raise a historic vessel in a way sympathetic to it's condition, and preferably leave it floating stably for Marcus to work on.

Easy tiger. I don't need challenging thank you - a bit of an over-reaction there I think. As I said, I was just concerned about exactly who's plans are being worked on here.

If Marcus is happy with what you are planning then so am I.

I just see a difference between what you are proposing and what Marcus has been saying yesterday and today - there lies the reason for my concern

• Greenie 1

Let's not forget Marcus is unlikely to be hospitalised and out of the loop by his Stanley knife injury!

MtB

Maybe not hospitalized, but the risk of infection is significant and he'll need to keep his hand dry for a couple weeks if he needs stitches.

From a visit and some phone calls with him I think Marcus would be pleased with any progress, currently after several days there is in reality NO progress. The boat still sits there askew on the bottom.

Maybe I should give up catching flack and let the boat break up over the winter.

Hello!

Just killing time as I wait in a&e!

I think I'll live... The main reason for coming is to get a tetanus jab... But also it looks like I've slightly cut my tendon... So I'd like them to have a look at that... Although fortunately the mobility of my thumb is still pretty good!

Arthur has been an amazing help, and we chatted for a long time last night about the diving plans.

I'm aware how this looks, in relation to my posts about my DIY efforts. I said to Arthur that whilst I can, and in the gap before 16th... I have to keep trying out a few DIY options too... As I'm obviously kean to rectify the situation asap, especially as the engine doesn't want to be under water for too long...

I'm very very conscious of not wanting to waste people's time too. And so I think it's best to see the 16th August as a possibly rather than a certainly... That will be firmed up, if the divers agree, and if the boat hasn't refloated by my DIY efforts in the nearer future.

Hope that makes sense? Juggling a few balls and options, and glad to help clear that up, so you're all in the loop!

I'm now going to work out how to post pictures on this forum hopefully... So I can show you what I did today... Pre injury!!

Thanks for all your amazing help & support!

Marcus

X

Edited by Marcuswarry

From a visit and some phone calls with him I think Marcus would be pleased with any progress, currently after several days there is in reality NO progress. The boat still sits there askew on the bottom.

Maybe I should give up catching flack and let the boat break up over the winter.

Oh Arthur, nobody is giving you flack. It was straightforward question which you answered satisfactorily, no need for toys out of the pram.

Hello!

Just killing time as I wait in a&e!

I think I'll live... The main reason for coming is to get a tetanus jab... But also it looks like I've slightly cut my tendon... So I'd like them to have a look at that... Although fortunately the mobility of my thumb is still pretty good!

Arthur has been an amazing help, and we chatted for a long time last night about the diving plans.

I'm aware how this looks, in relation to my posts about my DIY efforts. I said to Arthur that whilst I can, and in the gap before 16th... I have to keep trying out a few DIY options too... As I'm obviously kean to rectify the situation asap, especially as the engine doesn't want to be under water for too long...

I'm very very conscious of not wanting to waste people's time too. And so I think it's best to see the 16th August as a possibly rather than a certainly... That will be firmed up, if the divers agree, and if the boat hasn't refloated by my DIY efforts in the nearer future.

Hope that makes sense? Juggling a few balls and options, and glad to help clear that up, so you're all in the loop!

I'm now going to work out how to post pictures on this forum hopefully... So I can show you what I did today... Pre injury!!

Thanks for all your Amazon help & support!

Marcus

X

Thank you Marcus

That clears things up nicely

Best not to use Flikr IIRC.

There is a problem establishing the links to the photos for copy N pasting IIRC. The pages are produced dynamically, or something stoopid like that...

MtB

Thanks Richard. Noted. I've signed up to Flickr...
I think I'm going to keep a public album there, tracking the story of Fairstar from the canal in Sheffield... To her glorious completion! Let's see if this works for now:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/126705674@N07/14846486552

Well that link works fine for me!

So much for my comments about flikr not working... duh!

MtB

Great! Glad it works Mike!

Shame it doesn't appear in the forum, without having to click on it though... Posting the youtube video I did earlier... Was easy peasy... This forum turns the youtube link into a video clip without having to do anything clever at all!

So... The image on Flickr shows the full extent that the 2m wide polythene membrane reaches on the wheel house... So it's not wide enough to bring the other side above the water level sadly...

So what I'm thinking is that I'll attach it to the wheel house on the other side, using the batons as I have on this side...

I'll then secure another membrane... Placing another baton below the previous baton... So it's really water right... And raising the membrane over the roof... And horizontally right across the boat... Creating a cover over that whole side!! Blimey....

Once the main polythene 'structure' is in place... I'm going to go wraptastic... Until I've turned the boat into some kind of cacoon.... From which in the hopefully near future.. A beautiful butterfly shall emerge!!

Marcus