Shrinking heat shrink sleeving

Theo

Featured Posts

Using heat shrink sleeving looks like a really good idea and makes a neat job. How do you apply the heat? Match? Blow torch <_< !?

Nick

Edit: Oops! You can't edit the title. I mean, of course, "Shrinking"

Thread title modified - Dhutch

Edited by DHutch

Using heat shrink sleeving looks like a really good idea and makes a neat job. How do you apply the heat? Match? Blow torch <_< !?

Nick

heat gun isn't it, or hairdryer perhaps?

Nick

Hair dryer or similar heat gun.

Edit; Magnetman just beat me.

Edited by bottle

heat gun (like a very hot hair drier and half the price).

Yes an electric heat gun is the better method. Safety Warning ! don't let anyone mistake it for a hair drier:- Third degree burns.

A gas blow-lamp can be used but you must be careful not to over-heat.

For critical jobs adhesive lined H S Sleeving is even better.

To add some rigidity to a job eg. starter motor terminals use self amalgamating tape with heat shrink on top.

Yeah, it depends a bit.

- For the clear stuff i do batterys with i usally used my sisters 2.5kwatt hair dryer.

- For the thicker black stuff for wire i can use the hairdryer if i slightly obstruct the inlet, which does a neat job, but is right on the edge. Otherwise usally i just used the back of the solering iron, and usally thats why i haev the heatdrink out.

I havnt used any since i got my heat gun 5/6weeks ago, but i would imagine that would be best bet, although as with the solering iron, might need some care no to melt the PVC.

Daniel

Nick

Thread title modified - Dhutch

Right - bodgers of the world unite!

As I do not have a heat gun and often no mains for one anyway.

1. Side of soldring iron I just fitted the terminal with. Do not use teh solder end becasue you get loads of silver streaks and dots on the haet shrink.

3. Blowlamp held a LONG way away from the heat shrink - the problem is if you shrink it too fast or unevenly it often splits.

3. Match

In all case twist the cable to even out the shrinkage.

Tony brooks

I use a SolderPro gas powered soldering iron bu with a burner tip and a curved heat shield, all purpose made for heat shrink, but it costs around £55. But as a mobile vehicle electrician, I do use it everyday.