Electrics / inverter

Featured Posts

Hey up folks.

So having shifted through engine/painting and other things. Electrics are next on my list to complete. I have a cheap 2k inverter (bigger than what I need but it's what I have) sat in my engine bay about 3 meters from my control panel. I would like it to be placed on an on/off switch inside the boat for use for charging laptop etc.

I'm a bit lost which is the most efficient way to do this. Put inverter in wardrobe behind control panel and run out to batteries or run the switch from the CP to the main input to inverter. I currently have to go into engine bay and turn on, with a lead to 240 hook up. Bit of a ball ache.

Cheeeeeese.

If it helps, inverters do not like being in engine bays, cold and condensation play havoc with them.

Phil

Well our inverter has been in the engine room for 9 years and never missed a beat, I suppose all engine rooms aren't the same though and we're wide beam so a fair bit roomier. The inverter is also behind a cupboard door but the end section of the cupboard is fully open on the Right side at the end, so has free flow of air.

That's the lower cupboard door in this picture.

DSCF3019_zps51f32ee6.jpg

I also mounted the inverter on to 15mm plywood and there's a 10mm gap between the plywood and bulkhead. I've never noted condensation in our engine room, it's very well ventilated. there's also no rust or any type corrosion on the inverter, so clearly the inverter isn't suffering. It's always nice and cool there too as the inverter is close to the hull side and mostly below the waterline.

Ironically this is the one piece of equipment I thought would give us hassle, it never has though.

Touch wood LOL

The exception that proves the rule LOL

My comment about inverters and engine 'oles/ bays is accepted by most these places are best avoided with all electical system items including chargers but that is not say that in some cases all will be well. Engine rooms are another matter.

Phil

Depends if the OP meant "engine bay" as in the engine bay of a semi trad or cruiser stern boat; or an engine room in a trad stern boat.

Anyway, an inverter needs reasonable ventilation for cooling, and to not be in the outside engine bay eg semi trad or cruiser stern boat. This might mean a long run of thick cables to bring it inside. For isolation, if the inverter doesn't have a remote panel, then you can buy a powered high current isolator eg:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Universal-DC-12V-200A-Car-Relay-2-pin-Split-Charge-Relay-Car-Boat-Motorbike-/321166950231?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac70abf57

(That was from a quick search, I reckon there's more suitable stuff out there too).

The inverter needs to be close to the batteries for short leads, but somewhere dry to preserve the circuit board. Hopefully the inverter has a remote switch circuit (read the book!)

A friend with an off grid house has big inverter wired to the "ring main" in the house but each twin pattress has a single 13a socket and a light switch. ANY light switch turned on and the inverter comes on ALL switches off and the inverter goes off.

If it helps, inverters do not like being in engine bays, cold and condensation play havoc with them.

Phil

I suppose that depends on your engine bay. Ours stays nice and warm and is nice and dry.

Our new inverter will be going in the engine bay if we ever get around to fitting it. It's currently residing in the garage at home !

I suppose that depends on your engine bay. Ours stays nice and warm and is nice and dry.

Our new inverter will be going in the engine bay if we ever get around to fitting it. It's currently residing in the garage at home !

That's because of the design of your boat, the engine 'ole in yours is an integral part of the boat, unlike a NB where the engine is situated right at the stern with only steel seperating it from the wet stuff, gets hot when running and when it cools down you have cold steel walls and warm air = condensation.

GRP is so much warmer (remember from before I came to the dark side)

Phil

Well our inverter has been in the engine room for 9 years and never missed a beat, I suppose all engine rooms aren't the same though and we're wide beam so a fair bit roomier. The inverter is also behind a cupboard door but the end section of the cupboard is fully open on the Right side at the end, so has free flow of air.

That's the lower cupboard door in this picture.

DSCF3019_zps51f32ee6.jpg

I also mounted the inverter on to 15mm plywood and there's a 10mm gap between the plywood and bulkhead. I've never noted condensation in our engine room, it's very well ventilated. there's also no rust or any type corrosion on the inverter, so clearly the inverter isn't suffering. It's always nice and cool there too as the inverter is close to the hull side and mostly below the waterline.

Ironically this is the one piece of equipment I thought would give us hassle, it never has though.

Touch wood LOL

But your engine bay like mine is not wet and cold at night followed by wet and boiling hot when the engine runes under a cruiser deck plate. To the OP keep the 12volt cables as short as practicable.