the shortlist, for your approval

Marjorie

Featured Posts

We moor at Saul Marina, next door to the RW Davis yard, the boats are stunning to look at and after a sneaky peak inside a new one as we boated past recently I can honestly say equally stunning inside, modern, light, airy and gorgeous. Nothing to disappoint!

More evidence that an all-porthole boat isn't necessarily gloomy inside!

MtB

I have no idea how to use the search function to find that, so hit me with it.

Visit each of the builders, and see at least a couple of boats from each of these builders.

GO OUT AND LOOK AT REAL BOATS.

Begin to form your opinions, discount the definite "no's," and then ask the rest of the forum to spend a reasonable amount of time offering input and well thought out arguments.

You need to do a lot of leg work to get the right boat, something that the forum and internet cannot do for you. And there are literally so many new people that come here every month with the same ideas, questions, wanting experienced members to give their knowledge freely time and time again in place of doing their own groundwork and learning first, that people will stop answering you or being interested in your search sooner or later if you don't do the legwork you need to do first instead of making the theoretical shortlists.

/\ Is the paraphrased crux of what RLWP told me back in 2011, and quite rightly too. We are now good friends. :D

• Greenie 1

You need to do a lot of leg work to get the right boat, something that the forum and internet cannot do for you. And there are literally so many new people that come here every month with the same ideas, questions, wanting experienced members to give their knowledge freely time and time again in place of doing their own groundwork and learning first, that people will stop answering you or being interested in your search sooner or later if you don't do the legwork you need to do first instead of making the theoretical shortlists.

Strange you should say that. This sums up exactly how I now feel about Marjorie's posts, since about about 3pm today.

Sorry Marjorie, but it's time for you to get out and about now, instead of asking endless questions, many of which have been covered before.

MtB

Nobody has yet mentioned Colecraft - they build a good middle of the road shell and have done so for many years. Also if we are talking about Norton Canes what about CTS?

It really is about going out and looking at boats. Go and walk round Whilton and Braunston and othe brokers. Have a chat with Dominic Miles at Rugby Boat Sales., Then write a brief saying what yoiu want from a boat ad then a second list of what you don't want. Then compare with the boats you have seen - you will then have a short list of shell builders and fitters out. Its then time to go and have serious talks with potential builders to see if they can meet your aspirations, that you can work with them and they with you. Finally when you have placed an order don't keep changing your mind as this will cost money. Also appoint a surveyor to oversee the build.

I've seen 'Oslo' a few times ...... very nice indeed.

From the OP's short list my opinion:

Oslo (an RW Davis) was my boat until a few years ago. We are now friends with and meet the current owners periodically which speaks well for the quality of the boat.

I have friend with an RWD who is a professional welder and works for Rolls Royce (aircraft engines) so I think he knows his stuff. He is also happy with his boat.

I would therefore put RWD near the top of your list.

Of the others suggested by Mark99 :

They are all good but...

Go and speak to Dave Harris.

Edited by andywatson

Finally when you have placed an order don't keep changing your mind as this will cost money. .

This is especially good advice, rarely seen mentioned. Changing the spec after placing the order also tends to pss off the builder as it can play havoc with his scheduling and/or delay his next start,h making him look less professional to his next customer, and generally makes life more difficult for him. Once or twice may be ok but by change five or six goodwill could be wearing a bit thin.

In addition, as you are now committed to that particular builder he has carte blanche to charge whatever he likes or needs, unlike at the quoting stage.

MtB