Water Points - are they always free?

RAB

Featured Posts

Very basic question!

I know that the water points at British Waterways jetties are free but on the various canal maps it often shows water points that appear to be at, or very near, marinas/boat yards. Are these British Waterways water points or are they the marinas/boat yards?

If they are the marinas/boat yards are these free to all canal users as well?

Many thanks in anticipation!

Very basic question!

I know that the water points at British Waterways jetties are free but on the various canal maps it often shows water points that appear to be at, or very near, marinas/boat yards. Are these British Waterways water points or are they the marinas/boat yards?

If they are the marinas/boat yards are these free to all canal users as well?

Many thanks in anticipation!

If it is a CRT water point there is normally no charge to use it.

The last time I filled up at a non CRT point they invited a voluntary donation, from memory I chucked in a quid.

I think its fair enough for marinas to charge for using their tap. They need to make a profit to stay in business.

(In case anyone starts off moaning that the water is free!)

MtB

Well, yes and no. If you needed some water then I would give it to you, even if I had had to pay for it myself. Motorway Service Areas charge 50p for water from the tap in the petrol station, I don't know anybody who doesn't think this is outrageous. There is something different about water.

I think its fair enough for marinas to charge for using their tap. They need to make a profit to stay in business.

(In case anyone starts off moaning that the water is free!)

MtB

No the water isn't free. All commercial premises are (supposed to be) supplied via a meter.

Tim

on the various canal maps it often shows water points that appear to be at, or very near, marinas/boat yards. Are these British Waterways water points or are they the marinas/boat yards?
To be honest, I'd have to see your map. If anything, there's no pattern in the location of BW water taps vs the location of marinas and boat yards. There is a bit of a correlation in location of services (ie water points & other) with BW online moorings. I guess its a regional thing.
Often, marina water points are free if spending a certain amount of money on other stuff.

Marinas often charge a quid or two to use the hose tap. CRT taps are always free.

You can't rely on the water points marked on maps being there. Guess how I know....

MtB

And you can't always rely on being able to get into them either.

When ignorant boaters moored on them

And you can't always rely on being able to get into them either.

When ignorant boaters moored on them

Just moor along side and walk over, mind you don't stand in the dog poo and walk it over their decks when you return.