Mushrooms - any regs?

Emerald

Featured Posts

I have noticed a few people mentioning this.Does anybody know the reason why it is not a requirement?

Rob at the BSS office should know, Rob? http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showuser=631

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org

Some editorial clarifications have been introduced;

8.9.1 Ventilation - Editorial changes to the ventilation check introduced the terms ‘total effective area’ (the ventilation provision as measured on the boat) and ‘calculated fixed ventilation’ (the ventilation requirement as determined by the number and nature of appliances) and the ventilation formula is amended to take account of solid fuel stoves.

8.9.2 Ventilation -Editorial changes have been made to clarify that 8.9.1 and 8.9.2 are sequential checks.

There are 63 further minor changes to the 2005 checks that reduce or slightly change the technical impact; full details and the rationale can be read on www.boatsafetyscheme.org/about-us/news-from-the-

Edited by Ray T

Not sure, what is interesting though is if I block all of our mushroom vents, which de do in the winter. The remaining fixed ventilation actually over compensates for the loss of mushroom venting, so we clearly have excess ventilation if the first place. Other fixed venting includes our Dog Box, Side Doors and front doors. The gaps around these can be classed as fixed ventilation, and in our case doubles the ventilation we get from 5 mushroom vents. The only slight difference being the fixed ventilation is lower down which I don't see as a problem.

All mushroom vents achieve, is to assist in losing all the hottest heat you spend a fortune on in the winter.

They also serve as a trip hazard, drip on your bed/furniture, centre rope snagger and general PITA. I hate them.

Rob at the BSS office should know, Rob? http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showuser=631

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org

Some editorial clarifications have been introduced;

8.9.1 Ventilation - Editorial changes to the ventilation check introduced the terms ‘total effective area’ (the ventilation provision as measured on the boat) and ‘calculated fixed ventilation’ (the ventilation requirement as determined by the number and nature of appliances) and the ventilation formula is amended to take account of solid fuel stoves.

8.9.2 Ventilation -Editorial changes have been made to clarify that 8.9.1 and 8.9.2 are sequential checks.

There are 63 further minor changes to the 2005 checks that reduce or slightly change the technical impact; full details and the rationale can be read on www.boatsafetyscheme.org/about-us/news-from-the-

Bear in mind those closeable vents pictured earlier in the thread are not counted when calculating the 'calculated fixed ventilation' mentioned above, as they are closeable.

MtB

Bear in mind those closeable vents pictured earlier in the thread are not counted when calculating the 'calculated fixed ventilation' mentioned above, as they are closeable.

MtB

Ah but following Trevor Whitlings advice mine are locked open - what does that count as?

Why not just take a common sense approach: Do whatever you feel like doing with your vents to make life as comfortable as possible on board. The day before your next BSC revert your vents to their original condition, then back again to the sensible approach, once the inspector has left.

• Greenie 1

Why not just take a common sense approach: Do whatever you feel like doing with your vents to make life as comfortable as possible on board. The day before your next BSC revert your vents to their original condition, then back again to the sensible approach, once the inspector has left.

Thats what a lot of boaters (a minority I might add) do. Your suggestion is however about as far away from tne common sense approach as is possible

Breathtakingly stupid suggestion.

MtB

Exactly

Edited by Radiomariner

This for example: frusty.gif

14359196765_9b2cebff6c_z.jpg

14359193395_b15183e469_z.jpg

Not my boat BTW.

Edited by Ray T

I still maintain that there are deaths due to the BSS because of the amount of ventilation called for. Every appliance on full and every person allowed on the boat, people feel the cold north wind in the winter and block EVERYTHING up. Maybe if the requirement was more practical more people would" live" with it.

When our boat was built in 1991, it complied with all the regulations that were in force at the time. The rules were then changed to assume that the central heating boiler, the oven and the solid fuel stove would all be running flat-out at the same time, so we had to have some additional ventilation created. Therefore I feel confident that if only 2 out of these three are in use at any time, I can safely have the additional ventilators covered; and I put this into practice by assuming that if I am not using the solid fuel stove, then I can cover these additional vents (except of course when the BSS inspection is due)

I belive there is a reg that says, at least one mushroom ventilator, must be in a silly place.

My boat complies, by having one between the pole/plank brackets. Hence a short gangplank, or a long one with hole in the middle!

Bod

I belive there is a reg that says, at least one mushroom ventilator, must be in a silly place.

My boat complies, by having one between the pole/plank brackets. Hence a short gangplank, or a long one with hole in the middle!

Bod

Thank goodness my boat should pass with flying colours then as we have one above the bed, one above the sofa and one above the dinette.clapping.gif

Thank goodness my boat should pass with flying colours then as we have one above the bed, one above the sofa and one above the dinette.clapping.gif

Do any of your vents drip?

If so, then my point proven!

Bod

I am seriously considering putting high level vents in the doors, taking the mushrooms off (except batroom, don't care if it drips in bath.) and fitting blanking plates picking up on same fixing centres. I can then quickly bung the mushrooms back on at boat safety time if there are any objections (which I wouldn't expect because the requirement is "high level ventilation," which my high door vents would provide.) Comments welcome.

Edited by Guest

I am seriously considering putting high level vents in the doors, taking the mushrooms off (except batroom, don't care if it drips in bath.) and fitting blanking plates picking up on same fixing centres. I can then quickly bung the mushrooms back on at boat safety time if there are any objections (which I wouldn't expect because the requirement is "high level ventilation," which my high door vents would provide.) Comments welcome.

Sounds good especially if you baffle them to stop the gales blowing through.