What is a sensible price

robange

Featured Posts

If you are a seller the sensible price is about 30% to 50% higher than the sensible price for the purchaser.

A boat is worth what someone will pay for it

edit to add....unfortunately not many people are aware of this

Edited by John V

The Rover is an interesting boat, the predecessor of the Highbridge Crusader, they started production just before Dawncraft went under in the late 1970's, and there won't be too many around. So, a Rover in totally original condition might have some historical value. Trouble is this boat has been mucked about with to the extent that it isn't even recognisable as a Rover, so its value is very low indeed.

If you want a boat like this better to hold out for a decent Highbridge which is a much better boat in every respect, and you could probably get one for £8-9,000.

If I were selling I'd stick out for the almost the whole 10K if it wasn't for the fact it that the inside looks a bit worn (he said politely). The highbridge is a classic boat and this is a bit one up on that, it's genuinely rare and well thought out layout I love them. Solid fuel stove, roomy feel, lovely things, we've talked about them before on here

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54095&page=3

have a look at this one if you want a yardstick this one is 13k

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Highbridge-crusader-/221365511976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item338a69a728

The bits you can see look "lived in" so the bits you can't see probably need attention too, I'd want a look before I even talked money and even then it wouldn't be 10k but it's not far off the mark, these boats have their fans.

K

After a year of looking at narrowboats on ebay and Apollo Duck, that's the first one I've ever seen fitted with an outboard engine.

Springer waterbugs all had outboards and they're not the only ones.

K

If I were selling I'd stick out for the almost the whole 10K if it wasn't for the fact it that the inside looks a bit worn (he said politely). The highbridge is a classic boat and this is a bit one up on that, it's genuinely rare and well thought out layout I love them. Solid fuel stove, roomy feel, lovely things, we've talked about them before on here

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54095&page=3

have a look at this one if you want a yardstick this one is 13k

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Highbridge-crusader-/221365511976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item338a69a728

The bits you can see look "lived in" so the bits you can't see probably need attention too, I'd want a look before I even talked money and even then it wouldn't be 10k but it's not far off the mark, these boats have their fans.

K

In what respect?

If the boat was in 100% original condition i might agree, but as it is, it's just another grp boat with a value maybe about half what is being asked.

I'm sure you are right, only that that's the first one I've seen. Presumably it runs on petrol? I would imagine that would be a bit problematic in itself.

You had better send a warning out to the many thousands of owners of petrol outboard engines then.

Or perhaps it just isn't a problem at all...........

In what respect?

If the boat was in 100% original condition i might agree, but as it is, it's just another grp boat with a value maybe about half what is being asked.

In the respect that it is a model higher up in the range?

You had better send a warning out to the many thousands of owners of petrol outboard engines then.

Or perhaps it just isn't a problem at all...........

?

Not many canal side places selling petrol, you'd be buying 10l jerry cans full (or 10l if that's what the petrol station allow) and lugging them to the boat. Might be less of a problem with a day boat you visit by car- you could fill a can on the way, easily- but if you're out and about on the cut, there's a bit of a dearth of places.

Not impossible, just more inconvenient than diesel, and some might be more willing to put up with that than others.

Not many canal side places selling petrol, you'd be buying 10l jerry cans full (or 10l if that's what the petrol station allow) and lugging them to the boat. Might be less of a problem with a day boat you visit by car- you could fill a can on the way, easily- but if you're out and about on the cut, there's a bit of a dearth of places.

Not impossible, just more inconvenient than diesel, and some might be more willing to put up with that than others.

Obviously not impossible as very many people do just that. Mark petrol stations close to their intended spot and carry a spare can of fuel. Petrol outboards dont use a lot of fuel (until you get up to the fire spitting hundreds of horse power versions) so you would only need to be finding fuel every few days. Plenty of people do it so it cant be that difficult.

In the respect that it is a model higher up in the range?

As I explained earlier, the Dawncraft Rover was the predecessor of the Highbridge and is an inferior boat.

The Rover started its life in 1975, just about the time that Dawncraft were cutting corners because the oil crisis had affected the price of resin, badly.

Within a few years Dawncraft were no more but the moulds for the Rover were bought by an ex employee whose name escapes me, and he modified it somewhat, increasing the length to 32' I think, and this boat became the Highbridge. You might say this is the boat that the Rover should have been.

Occasionally you get old grp boats which the owners describe as a "classic" but like old cars, the only ones that are worth anything are those that have been meticulously maintained in their original condition.

I'm open to arguments as to why the Rover is a better boat than the Highbridge, but I can't see it.

There are only a few places on the Thames where petrol can be obtained.

Petrol does go "off" fairly quickly ,so it is best to buy it from a roadside filling station.

CT

Hi ya,

Find out if it's ever had any Professional Valuations done on the Vessel, Equipment & Systems, That would be an independent indication as to the 'Real, Materialistic' Value IMO.

Not talking about an 'Insurance Valuation' , as they are only more a guide & often inflated, Again IMO.

EG Most of the Insurance Valuations I have had, has been 15% Higher than the ' Fair Market Value ' Valuations i had done on most of my vessels over the years.

But at the end of the day, Ask yourself, How much would YOU pay for an item. That's it's true value to you.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2
  • Greenie 1

As I explained earlier, the Dawncraft Rover was the predecessor of the Highbridge and is an inferior boat.

The Rover started its life in 1975, just about the time that Dawncraft were cutting corners because the oil crisis had affected the price of resin, badly.

Within a few years Dawncraft were no more but the moulds for the Rover were bought by an ex employee whose name escapes me, and he modified it somewhat, increasing the length to 32' I think, and this boat became the Highbridge. You might say this is the boat that the Rover should have been.

Occasionally you get old grp boats which the owners describe as a "classic" but like old cars, the only ones that are worth anything are those that have been meticulously maintained in their original condition.

I'm open to arguments as to why the Rover is a better boat than the Highbridge, but I can't see it.

The same goes for anything described as "classic" even narrowboats :)

The same goes for anything described as "classic" even narrowboats smile.png

Maybe, but there's probably loads of stuff that folk pay over the odds for because of the provenance, and in spite of the condition of the item.

IIRC someone paid over a quarter of a million for the Stratocaster that Jimi Hendix famously set fire to.

As far as I'm concerned that was just another trashed guitar but each to his/her own.

Well I still think it deserves classic statue, very few were build so it has a rarity value and it's a practical boat too. If you looks at the pics and didn't know you'd think it was a steel narrowboat not a GRP, it's got all the advantages of a narrowboat layout but with the convience of a GRP hull. As something to pootle about on in my dotage I'd definitely look at getting one ahead of a more conventional GRP cruiser.

As for the petrol issue there's around 80 cruisers in the marina with me and all but a handful have outboards so it can't be that much of a problem getting petrol.

K