shoreline connection gone (possible earth fault)

Phil1884

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I was plugged into my 230v socket whilst connected to the shireline when I suddenly lost power, assuming a fuse had tripped I checked my fusebox, nothing, so I checked the fuses where I plugg into the shoreline, nothing tripped. The power lead is fine but I read a sign next to my fusebox saying that it had an automatic cutout mechanism that stopped the flow if an earth line fault developed, I assume this relates to my galvanic isolator. It also says press 'test' and if the fuses don't trip then its an earth fault. So I pressed test and no tripping, so it must be an earth fault.

so, I apologise for my ignorance in advance as I am gradually familiarising myself with the electrics on my boat but has anyone had ths problem and what do I need to do?

Thanks in advance...

if rcd has already tripped pressing test will do nothing .

1 unplug your lead from bank supply switch breaker to on now try test button.

2 if above works then there is electricity to bank socket

3 disconnect lead from boat reset bank feed and plug in your lead

4 if it does not trip then plug into your boat

5 if rcd trips then fault is on your boat

do these bits first.

if rcd has already tripped pressing test will do nothing .

1 unplug your lead from bank supply switch breaker to on now try test button.

2 if above works then there is electricity to bank socket

3 disconnect lead from boat reset bank feed and plug in your lead

4 if it does not trip then plug into your boat

5 if rcd trips then fault is on your boat

do these bits first.

Just to add that you should never plug a cable in that is live.

Always switch the power off before connecting then switch it back on once connected.

Had you had any rain? There have been issues with ingress of water in the connectors aired on the forum and a lot of problems on our marina also, all connected to rainwater seeping in. These connectors are NOT waterproof.

Phil

Just to add that you should never plug a cable in that is live.

Always switch the power off before connecting then switch it back on once connected.

I agree.

IMHO it's generally good practice to plug the lead into the socket on the boat first, and then connect to the shore supply.

Otherwise it's very easy for the "live" end to fall into the drink before you have a chance to plug it into the socket on the boat.

Don't ask me how I know this....

Neighbours werent around at the time but it would have been good to find out if theirs was on the blink. Yep, had some rain the other day, I assumed these connectors were water proof but as Phil says this may be the cause. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it, if it does go, I have an adaptor to plug into the shoreline to tie me over in the short term. Thanks

I agree.

IMHO it's generally good practice to plug the lead into the socket on the boat first, and then connect to the shore supply.

Otherwise it's very easy for the "live" end to fall into the drink before you have a chance to plug it into the socket on the boat.

Don't ask me how I know this....

Yes but it shouldn't be live as you should switch it on after connecting.

On the subject of rain getting into sockets, on our Broads cruiser the socket was under a deep overhang and remained dry. It struck me that on our NB the socket was completely exposed so I made a shroud for it to provide some degree of protection. I just did some Blue Peter stuff with some white plastic, some Sticks Like Sh¤t and a hair dryer to help with the bending.

Phil