Shetland 27 boat engine query

Alan&sue

Featured Posts

Mmm unfortunately to many for us sad.png

Never mind you will find another one.

It is worth bearing in mind though that the surveyor is working for you so his/her job is to find as many faults as possible so that you can haggle with the price.

Dont be too disheartened though.

Has your surveyor discussed his report with you? I know ours scared us until he pointed out what it meant

Richard

Ditto.

Even though ours wasnt a bad survey in the scheme of things. It was worded to make things wound worse than they actually were. Which worked in our favour biggrin.png

One thing we must say all the staff at the marina have been brilliant :) x

Big Thank you to everyone on the forum for all the help & advice it has been much appreciated.

Thank you

Sue x

One thing we must say all the staff at the marina have been brilliant :) x

Big Thank you to everyone on the forum for all the help & advice it has been much appreciated.

Thank you

Sue x

I

Without wishing to prolong the life of this thread indefinitely, it would be interesting to have a bit of an insight into how a boat that by all accounts has been well looked after and little used, gets such a poor surveyors report. It's not idle curiosity I just thought it might be revealing for other first time buyers.

But I understand it's a confidential matter and you might prefer to say nothing more.

I would be interested also although I expect I will find out from her current owners at some point.

Interestingly I was under the impression that they had traded Belle Ami in against another boat which would make it one of BW's own boats but they are not selling it as a stock boat!

Having recently been through the same exercise as yourselves, I understand your disappointment.

It does show you the value of having a boat surveyed though.

I am just about to relaunch myself in to the exercise all over again with another potential purchase. Here we go again!

Some where out there is your boat. You just need to find each other ;)

And possibly take a friend in the know to see your potential purchases. They might spot issues without the costs involved with a surveyor.

Having recently been through the same exercise as yourselves, I understand your disappointment.

It does show you the value of having a boat surveyed though.

I am just about to relaunch myself in to the exercise all over again with another potential purchase. Here we go again!

Some where out there is your boat. You just need to find each other ;)

Often the "right" boat finds you. Usually when you least expect it.

i work on the pretext that the first view is to fall in love with it cloud9.gif (be strongly attracted to it ;))

Go away and sleep on it, do some research (as indeed you did regarding the engine).

Contact the vendor/agent and bombard them with supplementary questions against the boat particulars. Below is an excerpt from an email sent to the broker before going for a second viewing:

Dinghy

The sale particulars identify a Dinghy. One was not evident when we viewed the boat although the photographs show a fibreglass(?) tender with external buoyancy hanging from the davits. It this the one that is part of the sale? Is there an outboard with it?

Life raft

I did not recall seeing a life raft. Can you advise on capacity, age and when last tested/certified?

Tanks

No mention of Fuel or Water tank capacities. How many tanks? Are there any sewage holding tanks?

Documents

Is there an up to date document file for the vessel? i.e. information regarding certification, operation and maintenance manuals for the boat, rigging, engine, steering gear, electrical equipment, navigation equipment etc etc.

Will the documentation be available to view when we come down?

History

Is the current owner able to advise on recent maintenance (dates)?

Receipts for work carried out?

Engine service records?

Other equipment services/overhaul

When was the boat last out of the water, anti fouled, anodes checked/replaced, stern gear checked?

None of the above is unreasonable to ask. Remember you're putting time and effort in to looking. Let the broker earn their fee.

As NC says - go with someone else who can be more objective.

Make a list of stuff you want to see/test/investigate.

If all is still well - engage a good surveyor - try to find your own (ask the forum), not one recommended by the broker

Hi

Yep we did ask quite a lots of questions & we had contact Shetland boat builders directly.

The suveryor we use is excellent & we would highly recommend him to anyone :) if fact we used him when bought our last boat

( Sealine) ).

But it just goes to show how invaluable it is to have good marine surveyor.

Sue x

I would thoroughly recommend Ian Lumley as a surveyor.

Very thorough and will talk you through any problems in lay mans terms rather than try and baffle you with bumph.

Nice chap.

Strange how different people can have such a different perception of the same person.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone looking for a nice cruiser at the minute?

http://www.burtonwaters.co.uk/used-boats-for-sale/boat-details.php?BoatID=4677518

Hi

Thanks for this :)

We did look at this boat & she is lovely :) but because there are restricted on boat size & berth were we are she would have been to big.

Mmmm Im thinking that after our last boat Avalon a Sealine s23 most boats do look quite big lol

The good news is we have had an offer on a 30ft (8.6 beam) narrow boat accepted :):). :)

Excited cant wait to bring her home :) x sue x

Sue x

Hi

Thanks for this smile.png

We did look at this boat & she is lovely smile.png but because there are restricted on boat size & berth were we are she would have been to big.

Mmmm Im thinking that after our last boat Avalon a Sealine s23 most boats do look quite big lol

The good news is we have had an offer on a 30ft (8.6 beam) narrow boat accepted smile.pngsmile.png. smile.png

Excited cant wait to bring her home smile.png x sue x

Sue x

You do realise that's not a narrowboat? Just checking.

Sue - at the risk of being patronising I just wanted to make sure you knew this isn't a boat for narrow canals, as you described it as a "narrow boat".

I know which boat this is and she looks very interesting, presumably made to a particular specification with the 8'6" beam and I'm curious why that dimension was specified. Do you know anything about the original owner?

Sue - at the risk of being patronising I just wanted to make sure you knew this isn't a boat for narrow canals, as you described it as a "narrow boat".

I know which boat this is and she looks very interesting, presumably made to a particular specification with the 8'6" beam and I'm curious why that dimension was specified. Do you know anything about the original owner?

Hi

No problem & thanks :) I would rather people point us in the right direction, as we are novices in the canal world as we have only had a sealine boat before.

We are going to moor the boat at Ripon motor boat club & use her mainly on the river around this area, her size is one of the reasons we bought her & there is boat size restriction at the club.

She is a lovely little boat & we would love to know more about her but not sure how to find this out, can you help :) her name is classy lass.

Thanks

Sue x