Shetland 27 boat engine query

Alan&sue

Featured Posts

Hi

We are looking to buy a 2001 shetland 27 boats ( 9ft 6 beam) and she has an inboard Toyota 3.7 Diesel engine on a stern drive is this engine ok for river & canals.

The boat is for sale at buton waters lincoln Bella Amie

Thanks

Sue

Engine sounds like it has plenty of grunt which will be useful for pushing against tide and river flow, suspect that on canals you would be running on tickover most of the time but hey you should learn to cope.

Phil

Thanks phil

We will be moored at ripon but will be mostly using the river :)

The Shetland 27 normally has a Yanmar engine. Why someone would specify a relatively unknown engine like this I don't know, but it's likely that they wanted extra power. The 27 is a semi displacement boat, which means that it will get "on the plane" but only if the engine has enough power. So, basically it is too big for pottering on rivers and canals.

I suspect this is probably one of Toyotas 4x4 engines, eg the Landcruiser has a big 3.6 diesel, I think, but Toyota produce so many engines... What would concern me is what happens when it goes wrong note I said when, not if. How many boatyards are going to be familiar with this motor?

If you really want a Shetland 27, and they are popular because of the room inside, I'd try and find one with a "stock" engine like the Yanmar. They also came with outboards but you don't want one of those as you will spend all your time looking for fuel.

The Shetland 27 normally has a Yanmar engine. Why someone would specify a relatively unknown engine like this I don't know, but it's likely that they wanted extra power. The 27 is a semi displacement boat, which means that it will get "on the plane" but only if the engine has enough power. So, basically it is too big for pottering on rivers and canals.

I suspect this is probably one of Toyotas 4x4 engines, eg the Landcruiser has a big 3.6 diesel, I think, but Toyota produce so many engines... What would concern me is what happens when it goes wrong note I said when, not if. How many boatyards are going to be familiar with this motor?

If you really want a Shetland 27, and they are popular because of the room inside, I'd try and find one with a "stock" engine like the Yanmar. They also came with outboards but you don't want one of those as you will spend all your time looking for fuel.

Thanks neil2

That's what was concerning hubby the engine when all other shetland have yanmar you have the same thoughts as him.

As we are new to boating don't want to make a huge mistake :(

We have arrange to have this boat surveyed but the engine size is a concern & thinking better to cancel this .

Thanks

Sue

The other thing about this boat is that unlike the current range which has a conventional shaft drive the earlier models appear to have been stern drive. There's all sorts of reasons why I wouldn't have a boat with a stern drive, and though some may differ, I reckon the shaft drive versions are likely to hold their value better.

BTW I can find very little info on this engine, all things considered I would pass on it - there's always another boat.

Hi

We are looking to buy a 2001 shetland 27 boats ( 9ft 6 beam) and she has an inboard Toyota 3.7 Diesel engine on a stern drive is this engine ok for river & canals.

The boat is for sale at buton waters lincoln Bella Amie

Thanks

Sue

We know the boat well and it is perfectly suited river cruising.

Handled Trent End well yet was very mild mannered on the canals.

Nice boat and well priced as well.

We know the boat well and it is perfectly suited river cruising.

Handled Trent End well yet was very mild mannered on the canals.

Nice boat and well priced as well.

Hi naughty Cal

Totally agree the boat lovely & just what we want :) the concern we have is the engine iss a toyota 3.7 & we carnt find any info or any other boats with these engines.

Were would we get parts/ oil filters ect for the engine !!

Suex

Check the net. Possibly the same places owners of Toyotas source their spares.

Phil

Hi

We have done that but can't find any info or supplier of this boat engine :( that's the problem

Edited by Alan&sue

I can tell you that the boat has been serviced at the specified intervals every time so getting hold of spares can't be that difficult !

I will find out for you. But expect it isn't an issue. Burton Waters will know they service it for them.

Well you either bought her or missed her as Belle Ami is now under offer!

Hi

We have done that but can't find any info or supplier of this boat engine sad.png that's the problem

Me neither. There are a couple of engines listed as being 3.7 litre but no record of them being used in boats, or even UK vehicles. I thought it might be a Hino (Toyota subsidiary) which are marinised truck engines but drew a blank there too. Yet it seems to be a nearly new engine..?

Me neither. There are a couple of engines listed as being 3.7 litre but no record of them being used in boats, or even UK vehicles. I thought it might be a Hino (Toyota subsidiary) which are marinised truck engines but drew a blank there too. Yet it seems to be a nearly new engine..?

I believe it's what the boat was initially supplied with in 2001. (Although the hull number actually suggests 2003, worth checking they have that right!)

Seems very well suited to the boat actually, it's a far more capable boat than some would give it credit for.

Edited by Naughty Cal

Thanks

I believe it's what the boat was initially supplied with in 2001. (Although the hull number actually suggests 2003, worth checking they have that right!)

Seems very well suited to the boat actually, it's a far more capable boat than some would give it credit for.

Thanks for advice we will phone the marina today & have it checked.as we haven't got the hull number.

We have got a surveyor booked for Wednesday so hopefully we will be changing our name from boatless to Bella Amie :)

Oh and looking to book / arrange a boat mover :)

Happy days

Sue x

Edited by Alan&sue

I was looking at the engine hours (630) - so that can't be right if it's the original engine surely?

I was looking at the engine hours (630) - so that can't be right if it's the original engine surely?

Why not?

There are still boats like ours cropping up that are 2003 boats with less than 200 hours on the clock!!

630 sounds about right for the amount they used it.

Why not?

There are still boats like ours cropping up that are 2003 boats with less than 200 hours on the clock!!

630 sounds about right for the amount they used it.

Fair enough. I suppose it's a bit like all these ultra low mileage motorhomes you see.

But if I was only cruising 50 hours a year I wouldn't bother having a boat.

Fair enough. I suppose it's a bit like all these ultra low mileage motorhomes you see.

But if I was only cruising 50 hours a year I wouldn't bother having a boat.

Difference being of course you can do many miles in 50 hours at 20-30 knots.