How did they slide boats in?

MunkeyBoy

Featured Posts

Hi

Resolute was the last side slip launch at Norton Canes in 2000. The boat was positioned on the edge of the slipway, with 2 boards underneath which had wooden rollers beneath them. Initial impetus was provided by a nudge from the forklift some two thirds along the hull from the bow. That pushed the boat sideways, allowing it to slide into the water. Start to finish took around 6 seconds, with the boat heeling over to some 23 degrees before righting itself.

That's the modern take. Jacks and greased planks were used previously, but I've never seen the action at first hand. Interestingly, Atlas was launched yesterday, also at Norton Canes ( at Canal Transport Services, the next door yard ). Here they rolled it stern first into the water from the building shed where a new bottom had been fitted. I wasn't there, so can't give details. Craning is tame by comparison!!

Cheers

Dave

Hi

Resolute was the last side slip launch at Norton Canes in 2000. The boat was positioned on the edge of the slipway, with 2 boards underneath which had wooden rollers beneath them. Initial impetus was provided by a nudge from the forklift some two thirds along the hull from the bow. That pushed the boat sideways, allowing it to slide into the water. Start to finish took around 6 seconds, with the boat heeling over to some 23 degrees before righting itself.

That's the modern take. Jacks and greased planks were used previously, but I've never seen the action at first hand. Interestingly, Atlas was launched yesterday, also at Norton Canes ( at Canal Transport Services, the next door yard ). Here they rolled it stern first into the water from the building shed where a new bottom had been fitted. I wasn't there, so can't give details. Craning is tame by comparison!!

Cheers

Dave

Not Atlas but a stern first launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ed_o34b4dE

Back in the day canal boats where pushed off the bank side sideways into the canal when launched does anyone have any information on how this was done please?

thanks.

I did this quite often when I was a teenager, although always with B.C.N. day boats.

All we used was long beams that passed beneath the boat to act as 'skids' and a selection of large jacks. By jacking up from the side furthest from the canal bank it is not long before gravity launches the boat - and very impressive it was too captain.gif

And before you ask - getting them out was just the opposite, but instead of using jacks large winches are all that is required.

I did this quite often when I was a teenager, although always with B.C.N. day boats.

All we used was long beams that passed beneath the boat to act as 'skids' and a selection of large jacks. By jacking up from the side furthest from the canal bank it is not long before gravity launches the boat - and very impressive it was too captain.gif

And before you ask - getting them out was just the opposite, but instead of using jacks large winches are all that is required.

Now that sounds very interesting Pete!

How on earth do the winches work? can you explain the setup please?

thanks.

Hi MunkeyBoy

To see a picture of a side slip launch, have a look at the Norton Canes Boatbuilders website. It's an old photograph, possibly taken when Malcolm Braine was in charge, ( pre 1986 when Graham Edgson took over ) but it illustrates the process perfectly. The winches used to drag boats out are behind the boat on the bank. They are still around the yard, though no longer in situ. These days, a 40 ton crane sits by the slipway. Boats are slid in to a purpose built cradle and lifted out easily. Far less grunt than in the old days, though as Pete has said, far less exciting.

We had a launch party when Resolute went in. As she settled in the water, a friend, well wined and fed, asked me

" Dave. Was that better than an orgasm?" For once, I was lost for words!

Cheers!

Now that sounds very interesting Pete!

How on earth do the winches work? can you explain the setup please?

thanks.

First take 4 to 6 large ( telegraph pole sized) and well greased planks. Slide one end of each plank under your boat and rest the remaining end on the bank where the boat is wanted. Site a winch next to the bank end of each sloping plank. Take a rope from each winch out and under the boat and fasten it to same. Protect boat as necessary from chafing/cutting by the ropes. Heave in evenly on the winches so the boat slides up the greased planks onto the bank.

Retire for tea.

Jack boat off planks and pack up in a position for working on it. Put the planks away until you need them for the launching.

Have another cup of tea.

N

First take 4 to 6 large ( telegraph pole sized) and well greased planks. Slide one end of each plank under your boat and rest the remaining end on the bank where the boat is wanted. Site a winch next to the bank end of each sloping plank. Take a rope from each winch out and under the boat and fasten it to same. Protect boat as necessary from chafing/cutting by the ropes. Heave in evenly on the winches so the boat slides up the greased planks onto the bank.

Retire for tea.

Jack boat off planks and pack up in a position for working on it. Put the planks away until you need them for the launching.

Have another cup of tea.

N

Yep, thats about it - but preferably with a few more cups of tea captain.gif

Heck..heck..oh heck..??

Hog...?

Is it Lawrence Hogg..?..on here...?

He prepared lots of old black and white films....and had lots of footage of Bulls Bridge in the 1930's...with sideways launched boats..

The could black boths sides in half a day and relaunch...

Teams of 6 blokes....following each other..one lot wire brushing..being followed by the next guys bitumening..

PM...Laurence Hogg...

This was my one and only launch.

The boat was set up on greased steel beams, just long enough to reach over the edge of the bank, & the rails jacked up at the inboard end with props to stop the boat sliding down the rails. Then a single prop fitted in the centre, such that it could be removed with little effort, and the others taken out.

Then that prop pulled out and a few bodies pushing the boat down the rails trying to keep it straight. Important with the short rails to make sure it had enough momentum to slide all the way off the rails & not be left hanging on one side.

Molelaunch-1.jpg

Tim

Edited by Timleech