Motor Bike on board

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

has anyone devised a way of getting a motorbike on and off a narrow safely?

i don't think it will be a issue getting it on with a long plank (that sounds well)

but is it possible to get the thing off again?

i was considering getting rid of my car and getting mountain bikes but a friend suggested i buy another motorbike.

any thought people?

Someone on this forum has done it I believe, some kind of hoist rigged up that swings the bike on to the boat. Someone might recall, searching will be tricky I suspect.

WoW just typed in motorbike on boat and found this.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=64061

Not the one I saw but similar.

And another

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=60795&hl=%2Bmotorbike+%2Bon+%2Bboat#entry1157319

Edited by Julynian

Pity you didn't ask before the weekend as I saw a rack that would be great and could have taken a picture. Basically its a metal platform about a 18inch wide and about six foot long. at one end is a holder for the front wheel to go into and a frame to fix the bike too. the platform had a ramp that hinged up when cruising and when down would reach the bank/tow path. it had quite a big bike on it so I guess it could be resized to suit whatever bike you had.

Pity you didn't ask before the weekend as I saw a rack that would be great and could have taken a picture. Basically its a metal platform about a 18inch wide and about six foot long. at one end is a holder for the front wheel to go into and a frame to fix the bike too. the platform had a ramp that hinged up when cruising and when down would reach the bank/tow path. it had quite a big bike on it so I guess it could be resized to suit whatever bike you had.

ahh bummer

but good as there is a way

unusual but possible also are there any restrictions on riding a m/bike on the tow path? or anything restricting getting a m/bike on the tow paths such a styles

Yes. You cannot ride a motor bike on the towpath

Richard

i thought so

But you can push it.

Our Enfield is on Google images. We used a hydraulic engine hoist bought from Machinemart with the wheels cut off and a tube inserted on each side of the gunnels for it to fit into. Bit of a palaver but well worth it and it all got quicker and easier the more it was used.

Get your motor running .... get out on the towpath biggrin.png .... joke ... of course you mustn't do that ... ever

I downsized, found a boat with a big front deck, took advice from a boat builder of some repute, had some reinforcing put in and a section cut out from each side that lifts out .... just wheel her on and off .... and regard it as an investment for future as i could also get wheel chair / mobility scooter on and off smile.png

The prophets of doom on here said I would sink without trace or that it would be like the zeebrugge ferry all over again .... but it hasn't happened ..... yet cool.png

And I can get a bag of coal on her and light enough to push .... and you can get 65mph out of her .... downhill, with the wind behind etc etc etc happy days

ke_zps753a968e.jpg

If the bike is small, about 100kg, you could possibly use a scooter hoist. I use a techmobility midi hoist to Lift 40kg batteries in and out of my dinghy from the deck of my barge for charging, to save my back. Hoists turn up cheap on eBay (£25 for mine rated to 80kg) the Brig Ayd ones can do 100kg+ and have powered up down and side to side with heavy duty linear actuators. Good kit.

The main limitation is reach.

Another option would be a penny hydraulics 12v swing lift.

I want this one

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181386817091&globalID=EBAY-GB

:rolleyes:

has anyone devised a way of getting a motorbike on and off a narrow safely?

i don't think it will be a issue getting it on with a long plank (that sounds well)

but is it possible to get the thing off again?

i was considering getting rid of my car and getting mountain bikes but a friend suggested i buy another motorbike.

any thought people?

Dean recently queried regarding getting a Scooter for short travelling trips. A few of us suggested to look at electric bikes as well (approx £500+), so depending on what you need it for you may wish to look at them as well. (have the advantage of, needing no insurance, tax, mot and can be used on towpaths).

I'll see if I can find the thread.

Here we go; http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=64061

Edit to add link...

Edited by Robbo

I've seen similar and a bloke has one on his driveway for a car near where my mum lives.

I think I'd prefer to lift and be well clear with a wander lead. Wheeling a scooter on or off is a bit too dangerous for me

Mind you the bank is a good height there