Canadians need advice

rivarunnamomma

Featured Posts

Birmingham may be England's second city but don't forget the first - Manchester - also has canals. And culture. And spectacular countryside nearby. And industrial heritage.

And decent beer!

Thanks Machpoint005. I will check out Manchester.

The problem is: canals + beer + culture + spectacular countryside = half of England. I need the top 10 list for teen boys, an A-type husband and mom that wants educational opportunities AND farmers markets … and that can be done in a week. Where to start? My list is getting longer again …. ;-)

Yes, but where does a non experienced visitor moor

A serious question - we haven't been there for many years but anything in the centre was a no-go at that time.

Noted. Thanks Old Goat!

That would be my choice, canal wise I think you have a bit of everything on the South Oxford, and then the Thames is a total contrast. I know you said it would be July but what might interest you is the Cropredy Folk Festival which is second week in August, (Cropredy is on the South Oxford.)

Music wise, there used to be a lot more pubs where you could sit in with other musicians, but a) there just aren't as many pubs in the UK these days and b ) so many music orientated pubs have fallen by the wayside simply because they only make money these days from selling food c) it only takes a few people to complain about the noise to get a venue closed down d) it seems to be dropping out of our culture. I used to play in a pub band but packed in after our last gig where we played almost the entire set to an empty room and no, we weren't that bad. Having said all this, I know from talking to other boaters that there are still pubs where it might be worth taking a fiddle or an accoustic guitar, (but please, not a banjo) on the cut, but you'd be lucky to happen on one in a week's holiday.

I agree with the comments about a week being too short.

Thanks for the suggestion of the South Oxford/Thames. We will check it out. The Cropredy Festival sounds perfect for us, but my dear dad is turning 80 and we have to be back in Canada for his birthday in early August. Rats!

And please don't worry. We would NEVER bring a banjo to England. Canadians have manners! ;-)

Seriously though, it is sad to hear that music is dwindling in your pubs. We have an image of fiddles around every corner in the UK. Please tell me the kitchen party still survives!

I hear the comments about one week being too short, but tragically, we have jobs back home, and between relatives in London and Edinburgh, it's hard to justify two weeks on the canals. It would be so much easier if England was ugly and boring …. with no beer.

So - just how many weeks was it you were coming for ??

Four weeks in total. Sigh. That's it.

BTW - My Patterdale terrier is named Juno. ;-)

If you are "doing" Dudley Castle and Zoo, then you have also got The Black Country Museum, with beer, old fashioned chip shop and a sweet shop, and the Dudley Tunnel trip.

So that's 3 things all very close together.

Plus you could easily get to Cadburys World for more "sweet sensations"

Welcome to the forum, one Canadian to another :) I married a Brit and have been living over here for the past 15 years now! Loving every minute of it as well.

We've just recently left our bricks & mortar and moved onto the canals, so I can't offer much assistance in relation to the best places as far as your criteria goes. However, I can offer some educated views as far as castles & history go. We joined English Heritage the first year I was here, and it's proved to be one of the best investments I ever made. I've dragged poor Dave to well in excess of 100 castles thought out England and Wales, as well as a few in southern Scotland.

Since you have teenage lads, I would really recommend Warwick Castle (owned & operated by the same group that own the famous wax works in London), it's a wee bit Disney and somewhat commercialized, but a great day out all the same. Most weekends in the summer they have some forum of display going on, whether it be falconry, jousts, medieval warfare display. The dungeon is great and not for the faint heated, the castle has a vast amount of history about it, with the original keep still standing, and an interesting display of a dinner party attended by the then Prince of Wales, prior to Victoria's death. I really enjoyed the kitchens, and Dave was fairly impressed with the weaponry display. As other have mentioned this is easily accessible via canal, and close(ish) to the living history museum near Birmingham - another great day out.

Tamworth castle is "ok", and if memory serves me correct sits beside the canal as well - but nothing in compassion to Warwick (which sits in the lovely oldly worldly town of Warwick as well.

If you have time when in London (there is just too much to see and do in London), and your looking for a tad bit of history....all of these are well worth a visit and I think you be enjoyed by a family with teenage lads....

Tower of London (I'd give the crown jewels a miss, but that's just me - when friends visit they insist on standing in the queue to see them)

Windsor Castle - right on the canal - and in another oldly worldly town and right across the water from Eaton

Hampton Court Palace - again right on the canal

British Museum - need about 8 solid days to see it all, but at least one day is a must - there really is something for everyone

Natural History Museum - would be Great afternoon for the boys

St. Pauls

I could go on and on, but those are my personal favorites. I've done the tower 3 times as well as the British Museum and would happily go back to any of the above again, as I'm sure I haven't seen all of it.

Enjoy you trip, hope the weather is great for you.

B~

Windsor Castle - right on the canal - and in another oldly worldly town and right across the water from Eaton

EH?? Windsor and Hampton Court are both on The River Thames for heavens sake and it's Eton College (not Eaton - they're fork lift trucks), most definitely nowhere near any canal.

I know our poor old Thames can't match any of your North American rivers, but really that's too much.....

('specially as it's my home river and it need protecting)

Dear, oh, dear, you just can't get the right sort of visitor nowadays......

Made I larf lots, so not really a complaint.

Warwick Castle has already been mentioned, but also in the same area is Kenilworth Castle. Not on the canal but only a bus ride away from Warwick, and a great day out.

Distance_shadow_shot_Kenilworth.jpg

Alternatively, Beeston Castle in Cheshire is within walking distance of the Shropshire Union Canal and from the top you get splendid views across the Cheshire Plains.

BeestonRotatingBanner3.jpg

Then there are whimsies like Drayton Manor Footbridge on the Birmingham and Fazeley:

Drayton%20Manor%20Bridge%204116b.jpg

And if you want to visit a castle actually on the canal, you could always take a look at the Pirate Castle while you're in London

IMG_7753_1.jpg

EH?? Windsor and Hampton Court are both on The River Thames for heavens sake and it's Eton College (not Eaton - they're fork lift trucks), most definitely nowhere near any canal.

I know our poor old Thames can't match any of your North American rivers, but really that's too much.....

LMAO - sorry OldGoat, should have said both located on a body of water that easily accommodates a canal boat boat.gif

and since one of my favorite English desserts is Eton Mess, you are right; I should know how to spell it. My only defense (excuse) is we used to have a fairly large chain of department stores called Eaton's back in Canada when I was a childfrusty.gif

I cannot imagine that the countryside of BC resembles the patchwork of small, feudal fields still seen in England.

I vote for Birmingham. It is surprising how you pass through quiet green cuttings, noisy, smelly factories, modern industrial and business estates, buildings dating from the industrial age and back gardens of houses. Spot a kingfisher in scrubland that was once an industrial site then emerge at the top of a lock into the traffic noise and bustle of a city.

There seems to be a British tradition that locks are wimmin's work but ladies, epecially Canadian ladies, can steer just as well as the men. With an energetic crew, two going ahead to prepare locks and one to close the one you are leaving you will make excellent progress, ~five minutes for a narrow lock. My 11 year-old (almost 12, going on 30) daughter working a flight (Napton?) nipped off, without my knowledge, to buy three large pork chops and other provisions and got them on the stove and dinner ready by the time we moored at the top of the flight. She was competant to steer but insurance only allowed her to do so with adult supervision.

Welcome to the forum, one Canadian to another smile.png I married a Brit and have been living over here for the past 15 years now! Loving every minute of it as well.

We've just recently left our bricks & mortar and moved onto the canals, so I can't offer much assistance in relation to the best places as far as your criteria goes. However, I can offer some educated views as far as castles & history go. We joined English Heritage the first year I was here, and it's proved to be one of the best investments I ever made. I've dragged poor Dave to well in excess of 100 castles thought out England and Wales, as well as a few in southern Scotland.

Since you have teenage lads, I would really recommend Warwick Castle (owned & operated by the same group that own the famous wax works in London), it's a wee bit Disney and somewhat commercialized, but a great day out all the same. Most weekends in the summer they have some forum of display going on, whether it be falconry, jousts, medieval warfare display. The dungeon is great and not for the faint heated, the castle has a vast amount of history about it, with the original keep still standing, and an interesting display of a dinner party attended by the then Prince of Wales, prior to Victoria's death. I really enjoyed the kitchens, and Dave was fairly impressed with the weaponry display. As other have mentioned this is easily accessible via canal, and close(ish) to the living history museum near Birmingham - another great day out.

Tamworth castle is "ok", and if memory serves me correct sits beside the canal as well - but nothing in compassion to Warwick (which sits in the lovely oldly worldly town of Warwick as well.

If you have time when in London (there is just too much to see and do in London), and your looking for a tad bit of history....all of these are well worth a visit and I think you be enjoyed by a family with teenage lads....

Tower of London (I'd give the crown jewels a miss, but that's just me - when friends visit they insist on standing in the queue to see them)

British Museum - need about 8 solid days to see it all, but at least one day is a must - there really is something for everyone

Natural History Museum - would be Great afternoon for the boys

St. Pauls

I could go on and on, but those are my personal favorites. I've done the tower 3 times as well as the British Museum and would happily go back to any of the above again, as I'm sure I haven't seen all of it.

Enjoy you trip, hope the weather is great for you.

B~

Thanks so much Bettie Boo! A Canadian in England. Lovely. But then, how come I'm not in Tuscany then? I married an Italian! ;-)

I can't believe your living on the canals! That is an enchanting idea. Reminds me of the houseboat "neighbourhoods" in Vancouver and Victoria harbours.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. They are all great. Warwick Castle is definitely on the list now. It sounds perfect. My brother is in charge of London (he lives there) but he has also suggested just about everything you have so it's nice to get confirmation that he knows what he's doing. Here's to happy trails, er, canals!

Capital city of Alaska - and - apparently the only capital city that cannot be accessed by road.

or

Juno - Greek Goddess : Juno was married to Jupiter. She was the queen of all the gods, and also the goddess of marriage

You are probably expecting me to say Alaska given our close proximity here in northern British Columbia but no, it is the Greek goddess. We were expecting a male puppy and so had selected "big" names for a small dog … we were considering Zeus, Ares and Hercules … but then the litter was mostly females, so we needed a new name. Juno it was.

BTW - Juneau, Alaska is spelled differently. And very true about no road access. Gotta take a ferry for the last 150 km. After driving 1400 km from here. And we're considered "close". ;-)

How about you?

Thanks for setting the record straight Old Goat. Glad you're protecting your homeland from us Canadians (but doesn't 15 years qualify Bettie Boo for a bit more than "visitor" status?") ;-)

Thing about the rivers where I live is you can only go one direction on them … downstream.

And Eaton's is a famous (but now defunct) department store here in Canada.

What about a hire boat company based on the Trent and Mersey Canal (Black Prince Boats are on the Trent and Mersey if I recall ) and then doing the Bridgewater canal into Manchester - great city and Castlefield Basin is a great place to moor in the middle of a city with museums (Museum of Science & Industry for one, which really is fantastic), plenty of heritage and industrial architecture, bars, restaurants, history.... And no locks on the Bridgewater Canal into Manchester and the link onto the Trent and Mersey is seamless.

Overall on the Trent, theres not many locks either so cruising times can be reduced, meaning you can get from place to place much quicker and use your short time to the best of your advantage.

BTW - Is that a Border Terrier?

If you are "doing" Dudley Castle and Zoo, then you have also got The Black Country Museum, with beer, old fashioned chip shop and a sweet shop, and the Dudley Tunnel trip.

So that's 3 things all very close together.

Plus you could easily get to Cadburys World for more "sweet sensations"

Hmm. I think Warwick Castle trumps Dudley, even with lions and tigers (ho hum … we have grizzlies and cougars in our backyard). ;-)

But Black Country Living Museum is definitely on the list. Beer - check. Chips - check. And did you say CHOCOLATE??? CHECK!

This route seems like it has lots of potential!

Warwick Castle has already been mentioned, but also in the same area is Kenilworth Castle. Not on the canal but only a bus ride away from Warwick, and a great day out.

Distance_shadow_shot_Kenilworth.jpg

Alternatively, Beeston Castle in Cheshire is within walking distance of the Shropshire Union Canal and from the top you get splendid views across the Cheshire Plains.

BeestonRotatingBanner3.jpg

Then there are whimsies like Drayton Manor Footbridge on the Birmingham and Fazeley:

Drayton%20Manor%20Bridge%204116b.jpg

And if you want to visit a castle actually on the canal, you could always take a look at the Pirate Castle while you're in London

IMG_7753_1.jpg

What a great tour of the major "must see" castles in England! Thanks so much for the photos. Warwick is still #1 on our list, but it sounds like Kennilworth has a lot of potential too … mainly because it has a stunning garden …. I'll just keep that secret to myself until we get there. ;-) Thanks very much for the info.

I cannot imagine that the countryside of BC resembles the patchwork of small, feudal fields still seen in England.

I vote for Birmingham. It is surprising how you pass through quiet green cuttings, noisy, smelly factories, modern industrial and business estates, buildings dating from the industrial age and back gardens of houses. Spot a kingfisher in scrubland that was once an industrial site then emerge at the top of a lock into the traffic noise and bustle of a city.

There seems to be a British tradition that locks are wimmin's work but ladies, epecially Canadian ladies, can steer just as well as the men. With an energetic crew, two going ahead to prepare locks and one to close the one you are leaving you will make excellent progress, ~five minutes for a narrow lock. My 11 year-old (almost 12, going on 30) daughter working a flight (Napton?) nipped off, without my knowledge, to buy three large pork chops and other provisions and got them on the stove and dinner ready by the time we moored at the top of the flight. She was competant to steer but insurance only allowed her to do so with adult supervision.

Thanks Alan. And I definitely agree. British Columbia's dense spruce forests don't even look like they're from the same planet as the storybook woodlands and meticulously cared for farm country in England, but after an hour or two, grass is grass to our teenage boys when they know there must be medieval turrets and suits of armour nearby. I wanted to be clear that our ideal route would have some rural, but overall, more "entertainment" value to keep them happy.

The suggestions we've been receiving from all your colleagues on this site really sound like what we're looking for. And yes, this Canadian lady is the one who usually steers the big boat in our family. My husband darts about the whitewater in his little kayak, while I haul his breakfast, lunch and dinner, kids AND dog on our 18' cataraft. So personally, I think it's my turn to navigate while the men do the work. ;-)

PS. We would like to arrange a rendez vous while in England to discuss marriage possibilities between your daughter and one of our sons. She can have her pick. She sounds like a treasure. And I'd let her row my raft on our rivers anytime. ;-)

A huge thanks to everyone who has suggested routes that meet our needs. I really appreciate the assistance in narrowing down the incredible range of canal routes. If anyone else would like to wade in, we will definitely consider all suggestions.

Thanks also for all the recommendations of sites and activities on each route. This will be very helpful in making a decision. We also hear the message that any ring route in one week is a bit much, and so will be considering 10 days instead. Not sure if hire companies like that arrangement though.

IF we had 10 days, are there other routes that come to mind?

The current lineup includes (in order of most recommendations):

Warwickshire Ring & Warwick Castle

Stourport Ring

Anything near Birmingham (esp. by Old Goat)

One mention each:

Leeds/Liverpool

Trent and Mersey & Bridgewater

Manchester (after a bit of debate)

South Oxford & Thames

Shropshire Union

Thanks again! And I'm sure I'll have a few more questions before we make a final decision … and now I know where to find great advice.

You may well find a hire company that will do 10 days, most rent out in full weeks, weekends (3 days) and midweek (4 days) so you just combine a week with one of those.

With 10 days you can do the Warwickshire ring justice, spend time in the centre of Birmingham, which a trip down the Main Line to the Black Country Museum, and perhaps a day at Drayton Mannor theme park

Another thought - trying to refine matters -

The Dudley tunnel trip (about 1/2) hour starts at the 'back door' of the BCM, so it's part of the experience and not a separate trip.

If you click on the "Warwickshire Ring - PDF file" in this link:-

http://www.kateboats.co.uk/cruising-routes

you'll get some very nice pictures if the ring

With a bit of jiggling around you can cover (nearly) everything you said you might do if you do part of the ring around the City and a leg to the BCM. The trick here is to moor by Hatton station and take the train to Warwick (only a few minutes) and that avoids the Hatton flight. Mooring near the Castle can be a problem.

Goto http://canalplan.org.uk/

Select route planner and key in the following:-

Start and finish at Alvechurch Marina

Intermediate places

Black Country Museum

Aston Junction

Kingswood Junction

Let the system plan the route for you and you get:-

an itinerary

A route map

A virtual tour with lots of photos

You can create a PDf with all that information.

Once you're on the planner - well - you can plan any route you like until you get a 'best fit'.

It's a great tool

Another vote for the Leeds Liverpool. boat.gif Not just a pretty little rural canal - it runs through some rugged Pennines countryside, as well as some very well restored industrial heritage (as well as the beer, and bikes mentioned earlier!). If you have teenage crew, it will be a breeze. There are a few hire companies in that neck of the woods, and I know that bearBOATNG (JessicaBOO posted earlier) now do a remote hand over, so you start at one location, and end in another! (Don't worry, they take you back to your car at the end of the week! wink.png )

And it will be less busy than the Southern parts of the system, but keep that to yourself - we don't want everyone knowing about it!

I was very well behaved in my post and didn't mention bearboating but since Steve has revealed my identity, we do offer one way cruising between our base at Apperley Bridge and our second base at Lower Park Marina in Barnoldswick - which means you don't have to turn round half way through your holiday and do all the same bits again. If you are particularly interested in the Tour de France you could cruise into Leeds City Centre from our base and watch the start of the race, or you could cruise to Skipton and watch the riders go through there.

I understand there is a boat meet on the Rochdale where the Tour actually passes the canal - I would suggest you contact Shire Cruisers if you wanted to view the race from there.

Another thought - trying to refine matters -

The Dudley tunnel trip (about 1/2) hour starts at the 'back door' of the BCM, so it's part of the experience and not a separate trip.

If you click on the "Warwickshire Ring - PDF file" in this link:-

http://www.kateboats.co.uk/cruising-routes

you'll get some very nice pictures if the ring

With a bit of jiggling around you can cover (nearly) everything you said you might do if you do part of the ring around the City and a leg to the BCM. The trick here is to moor by Hatton station and take the train to Warwick (only a few minutes) and that avoids the Hatton flight. Mooring near the Castle can be a problem.

Goto http://canalplan.org.uk/

Select route planner and key in the following:-

Start and finish at Alvechurch Marina

Intermediate places

Black Country Museum

Aston Junction

Kingswood Junction

Let the system plan the route for you and you get:-

an itinerary

A route map

A virtual tour with lots of photos

You can create a PDf with all that information.

Once you're on the planner - well - you can plan any route you like until you get a 'best fit'.

It's a great tool

A good idea but probably better to moor at Lapworth, it's train service to Warwick isn't great but it's better than Hatton's. But check anyway

Not sure I get the above comments about using Hatton and Lapworth stations, if you are doing the Warwickshire ring then you are going through Warwick anyway, and whilst the canal is not that close to the castle, neither is the station. You will do the Hatton flight as part of the ring.

You could do worst than hire from Kate Boats in Warwick, we hired from them our first time, and they gave good instruction. That would make it easy to drop the boat off on the last day (9:00 ish) and then spend the day at the castle.