time between blacking.

tjderby

Featured Posts

I went to zouch marina £ 180 pound for a week out the water and did the job myself quick jet wash and a scrap let it dry then one coat next day another then following day just a another coat on the water line having a week gives it time to go off before putting back in the water that's if its not raining,also had time to paint up to the deck and check prop and rudder.easy and cheaper to diy and job satisfaction that you did it right ,some marinas want more than that just for the weekend

So where is this Paul barber? I also want the stove changing as its a crappy weird shape one. And I want a morso squirrel 1410 stove.

About a mile up the Erewash canal from Trent Lock. Put NG10 1AU into google maps :)

Can vouch for the Morso stove.. Might be worth considering a back boiler connected to radiators and the calorifier too.

Edited by FidoDido

I'm sure I saw the words "I'll save up and get it done next year" in your OP.

If you have the money to get it done now, do so.

I bought my boat last September and planned to 'save up' over the winter for a few things. Every single penny I've earned since buying the boat has had to go on things that have broken or come to the end of their life. If things continue at the rather they are I will not be able to 'save up' for anything for about 3 years, and by then the bloody thing will probably need re-plating.

I bought my boat last September and planned to 'save up' over the winter for a few things. Every single penny I've earned since buying the boat has had to go on things that have broken or come to the end of their life. If things continue at the rather they are I will not be able to 'save up' for anything for about 3 years, and by then the bloody thing will probably need re-plating.

Yes you did junior. But that was before I found out how much it was going to cost.

But how much will it cost, to NOT have it done?

Yes, when you initially buy a boat, especially one at the lower end of the price scale, there's lots to do on it and it costs money. And its also easy to dream up a never-ending wish list of items which could be done to improve it. The skill is to keep costs under control by prioritising those items which need attention, to those which while they improve some aspect, could be delayed.

There's also a counter-argument that if something will eventually need doing, the sooner the better so you get the benefit straight away.

I guess you'll get used to spending many thousands of pounds, once you're a boat owner!

The boat has a calorifier fitted already.

Yes, and it may only be connected to the engine cooling system. If it has twin coils, it can also be connected to the stove, so when the fire is burning it gives you hot water, and you don't have to run the engine to get the hot water. Can be useful. Of course, it may only have one coil, in which case you would have to replace it, more cost.. Prob not worth it.

Running your engine before 8am or after 8pm tends to annoy other moorers. Can be a problem if you work long hours.

This boat thing gets quite complicated!

Of course, you might well have an electric immersion heater in the calorifier, or a morco or paloma instant hot water gas boiler, in which case you already have an alternative means of hot water.

Edited by FidoDido

Yes, and it may only be connected to the engine cooling system. If it has twin coils, it can also be connected to the stove, so when the fire is burning it gives you hot water, and you don't have to run the engine to get the hot water. Can be useful. Of course, it may only have one coil, in which case you would have to replace it, more cost.. Prob not worth it.

Running your engine before 8am or after 8pm tends to annoy other moorers. Can be a problem if you work long hours.

This boat thing gets quite complicated!

Of course, you might well have an electric immersion heater in the calorifier, or a morco or paloma instant hot water gas boiler, in which case you already have an alternative means of hot water.

It's connected to the engine yes and the water is also heated by an immersion heater when connected to landline. The morso squirrel 1410 doesn't come with the capabilities of connecting a back boiler (correct me if I'm wrong). Plus I'm on a tight budget. And limited on space lol.

It's connected to the engine yes and the water is also heated by an immersion heater when connected to landline. The morso squirrel 1410 doesn't come with the capabilities of connecting a back boiler (correct me if I'm wrong). Plus I'm on a tight budget. And limited on space lol.

Morso Squirrels can be fitted with a back boiler as an optional extra, although I'm not au fait with that particular model number. Don't underestimate the hassle and complexity of installing water pipes and the other components of a back boiler system. At least the pipework should fit behind existing panels though and not consume much space.

You need to find out if the boat has a single or twin coil calorifier, since if you wish to plan for an additional heat source, it will make a difference and calorifiers are expensive. In fact, looking at the previous posts some people seem to have knowledge of your particular chosen boat's heating system - do you have a link to an advert so we can see the kit already installed?

The boat already has a stove fitted but it looks crap lol. As for a back boiler. I'm not that fussed about having one. And id prefer to keep hush on the boat until completion. She's 38' so won't take much to heat lol.

OK no worries, just familiarise yourself with the various methods of space and water heating, for example snippets of useful info are:

diesel heating - sometimes unreliable, costly, noisy, uses battery power to run the unit

solid fuel stove - simplicity, possibility of cheap/free fuel (foraged wood)

Morco/similar water heater - no need to run engine or use another heat source to 'build up' heat in the calorifier, but costs in gas. Handy if liveaboard and you eg work, for example you return to the boat at 8pm and can't run the engine and you want hot water available then.

gas heating eg Alde central heating - can be expensive on gas; but can also come with or upgraded to use a timer or thermostat as frost protection - could be v useful. THese advantages may also apply to timer-based diesel central heating

calorifier - "free" if you're running the engine eg if you go cruising a lot, then its in effect "free" energy which would have otherwise been wasted (the engine is overall more efficient because the heat as well as motive energy is usefully used, but of course you are burning diesel to do this). If not cruising, then a bit wasteful but cheaper for occasional use than buying/installing a Morco

I'm sure I've missed bits and others can usefully add to it!

If I get the job I just had an interview for I will install an immersion heater on a proper timer so that it will turn on 90-120 minutes before I arrive back from work. I'm Marina based and have the engine and back boiler to heat the water but would use the immersion most while at work during the summer. Winter use the back boiler but it takes 2-3 hours to heat the water from lighting the fire and the calorifier water cold.

If I had a 38ft boat I certainly wouldn't bother with a back boiler as the stove on it's own would be plenty.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

If I get the job I just had an interview for I will install an immersion heater on a proper timer so that it will turn on 90-120 minutes before I arrive back from work. I'm Marina based and have the engine and back boiler to heat the water but would use the immersion most while at work during the summer. Winter use the back boiler but it takes 2-3 hours to heat the water from lighting the fire and the calorifier water cold.

If I had a 38ft boat I certainly wouldn't bother with a back boiler as the stove on it's own would be plenty.

Jamescheers.gif

Cheers james