Chelsea Moorers Told To Weigh Anchor

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

At least one of the parties must be lying

As I have no way of judging who is the liar I choose to give both the benefit of the doubt.

Also, the whole tale of oligarchs is pure supposition!

In itself a damned fine reason for a bit of light-heartedness.

As I have no way of judging who is the liar I choose to give both the benefit of the doubt.

In itself a damned fine reason for a bit of light-heartedness.

As I said, Devil's Advocate...

I do appreciate that Miss Pittam has done herself no favours by making spurious allegations. I still feel sorry for her though.

That's when all the cards fell into the lap of the property owner and the occupier lost pretty much all their rights. Maybe, we've forgotten that it wasn't always like this?

Unless Im very much mistaken property occupiers ie renters have got a fair few rights then some.

They certainly cant kicked out on a whim there are procedures to follow etc

You are right it wasnt always like this, it was far far worse for the renter, who had virtually no rights at all.

Even squatters seem to have rights nowadays

Unless Im very much mistaken property occupiers ie renters have got a fair few rights then some.

They certainly cant kicked out on a whim there are procedures to follow etc

You are right it wasnt always like this, it was far far worse for the renter, who had virtually no rights at all.

Even squatters seem to have rights nowadays

I'm not sure where you're getting your info. The vast majority of tenancies are now assured shorthold. This gives a bit of protection for an initial period (usually 6 months), after which any landlord can evict any tenant on any whim with 2 months notice and a section 21 notice.

What period were you thinking of when renters had virtually no rights? I'm genuinely interested!

Finally, squatters rights have been systematically dismantled over the last 20 years. Squatting was largely a phenomenon of the 1980s and earlier.

I'm not sure where you're getting your info. The vast majority of tenancies are now assured shorthold. This gives a bit of protection for an initial period (usually 6 months), after which any landlord can evict any tenant on any whim with 2 months notice >>

And, correct me if I'm wrong, please, but I believe the tenant also has to give an identical term of notice, whether it suits the landlord, or not?

No I'm not. Morally why should an occupier have more rights than an owner?

Just so you know, this isn't a real good argument to hang your hat on. Tenants often have far greater rights than owners, the right of possession, for instance. Some rights are a matter of law, most are a matter of contract.

Landlords aren't doing tenants a favor by accepting their rents. Both parties are in a contractual relationship and both have rights and responsibilities toward the other.

Being a tenant does not make someone a second class citizen. The fact of the matter is that the very wealthy often rely on tenants for their income. Without their rental income, many very wealthy people would be in a very bad financial position.

But I digress... The point is, when you rent a property you (the landlord) essentially "sell" part/many/most of your property rights for a set period of time, so it is quite common for a tenant to have more rights than the owner, even if only temporarily.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, please, but I believe the tenant also has to give an identical term of notice, whether it suits the landlord, or not?

No. The rules are different for the tenant.

In what way - - - ((from my fading memory as a tenant the landlord and I had to give similar notice to cease the agreement))

Dave P is correct. While the LL in an AST which has lapsed into a periodic tenancy must give two months' notice to terminate, the tenant needs give only one month.

How fair is THAT!?!?!?!

MtB

(Edit to get the names right!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I wasn't mocking from afar, I was mocking from only 6 miles away.

Having been a tenant of several houses before buying four years ago, I can echo what others have said about notice periods.

After any fixed period of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, which is the norm nowadays, often 6 months but set by agreement at the start of the tenancy, if another fixed period is not agreed, the tenancy continues until either the landlord gives two months notice or the tenant one month. That's not unfair to the landlord, because the tenant has more to do as a result of notice being given; the tenant has to find a new place to avoid becoming homeless and has to get packed, while the landlord just has to find a tenant or have a void period.

The real problem is that the system is easily manipulated by bad landlords AND bad tenants, better protection is needed for both.

If a tenant doesn't leave and cease to pay rent, the landlord can only start proceedings when the two months expire, and it will then be a few months more before the bailiffs can go in. By which time the landlord's lost a few months' rent and all too often has some deliberate damage to repair. The tenant won't get a reference but probably still finds another landlord to exploit. Conversely, some landlords will tell lies to get a tenant in, harass a tenant to get them out, and pull all sorts of tricks to try to keep deposit money. If a landlord is in mortgage arrears and gets repossessed, this can become a big problem for the tenant, especially if the lender doesn't know the property has been let.

Most estate agents are incompetent and patronising beyond belief towards tenants too. I had one half my age telling me I wouldn't be able to afford the rent on the house I wanted when I knew that I easily would. It was hard to resist the temptation to tell her that I'd never had a debt in my life other than a previous mortgage which must have begun while she was still in nappies, and that as the holder of an Oxford maths degree I could be expected to be capable of managing my budget. I put it much more politely and got the house. Not before her colleague who showed me round had set off the ear-splitting burglar alarm his manager had neglected to tell him about.

• Greenie 1

Dave P is correct. While the LL in an AST which has lapsed into a periodic tenancy must give two months' notice to terminate, the tenant needs give only one month.

How fair is THAT!?!?!?!

MtB

There are other differences, easily found by googling, but largely irrelevant to the discussion.

How fair is THAT!?!?!?!

MtB

There are other differences, easily found by googling, but largely irrelevant to the discussion.

The tenant has to give a month's notice after the initial six month period, if they're on the standard tenancy agreement. Unless a new assured shorthold tenancy is taken out on the termination of the first one, in which case, both parties are bound by the new agreement.

A friend of mine bought an almost new boat sold by a BBC producer who had paid a fortune to have it built and then decided he didn't like canals.

The boat was externally stunning, and internally as well, however, it was an AntonyM fitout and a pile of shite under the skin.

I have a part Anthony M fitout and it is great on the surface and well finished underneath no problems at all

Peter

I have a part Anthony M fitout and it is great on the surface and well finished underneath no problems at all

Peter

Anthony M's fitout vary from excellent to abysmal though always cosmetically nice.

It all depends on how far he is away from his next phoenix event.

The largest percentage of tenancies are either local authorities or housing associations .I dont know the percentage in England,but in Wales Shorthold Tenancies make up to 14% of available rental stock. The majority of private landlords own one property. There are many stories about dreadfull tenants as well as dreadfull landlords .Previous to Shorthold Tenancies,the only way a landlord could get their property back was if it was let furnished, The introduction of Shorthold Tenancies greatly increased the number of private lets available ,Many landlords are happy to to offer a 12 month tenancy as voids are expensive.