Blisworth tunnel. Then locks!!! Stoke bruene

Ca Jon

Featured Posts

We are on our first trip and about to head through blisworth tunnel. Then our 1st locks. Should be getting through about 3. I thought we would stop and have a look at how it's done. Anyone going to be in that area?

I'm not but I've been there, and can guess that if you mean you're southbound and will be going down the locks at Stoke Bruerne, there probably will be people there at the top lock, it's a popular spot for gongoozlers. Whether there will be someone there who knows more than you do about lock operation is another question, but people are usually happy to advise a beginner and honest about how much they know.

If northbound I seem to remember it's level for some way after the tunnel.

Put your waterproofs on for Blisworth tunnel, & 1 of those cowls for your stove chimney, or the cover if it isnt lit, because there is a nice stream of water part way through which will make your stove wet if you dont manage to miss it.

Enjoy the tunnel! We went through it soon after buying our boat and absolutely loved it.

As for the locks, take things slowly if you're unsure. There are some key things to remember.

- If you're going downhill (i.e. through Stoke Bruerne after the Blisser), remember to keep your boat forward of the cill. This will be marked on the ground.

- Don't get distracted - keep an eye on the boat at all times. Stay near one of the paddles and keep your windlass in hand. If anything goes wrong, drop the paddles immediately and then figure out what to do.

- Don't leave your windlass on the spindle. If the mechanism slips, the windlass can fly off and hurt someone. Actually, it's more likely to hurt you.

- Use the safety catches. Hopefully the person before you will have replaced them after use. As you wind up the paddles you'll hear the clink clink of the safety catch.

If you take things slowly and methodically you'll be absolutely fine. Enjoy the day!

Lucy

Also when going up locks, open the paddles about 1/3 for a few minutes (until the turbulance settles a bit) as it will help to stop your boat from crashing about.

Oh and good luck & safe & happy boating! ;0)

Chop & Glends

thankyou for your replies, we are now moored just south of bridge 99 near stoke hammond for a few days. Im learning all the time..Mostly from mistakes!!

If that was you moored below Church Lock this morning (I think I recognised the bow from your photo), then apologies for sneezing as we passed, making your dogs bark! It was about 9.15.