Oil seepage

jenevers

Featured Posts

Every engine and gearbox ends up as an oily lump, every time I go to a car breakers I end up oily, even my old Allegro leaked a bit of oil and that was quality British engineering.........

Allegro quality?

My uncle worked for Leyland and bought a new Allegro when they fisrt came out. As he worked in the factory where it was made you would think he would have got one of the better ones. The week he got it he was driving on the M6 through Brum when the steering wheel came off in his hands.

Chris

Depends on what you would count as leakage. Ours seeps rather than leaks, i.e. no drips but needs wipe over regularly.

How much does yours leak?

Chris

It just gets oily below the cylinder heads. I just wondered how some of the highly polished examples are kept in that condition. Looks like they don't leak/seep at all, or is that because the owners spend LOTS of time polishing?

Hi,

I have heard that Danny Williamson? developed a method of stopping leaks on rebuilt Gardners and his engines are usually beautifully presented.

As has been said most of the leaks are caused by seepage and easily wiped clean - mine seems to have the same problem as yours.... if you want to see real seepage on a Gardner have a look at some of the fairground generating sets.... although there are not too many of these about now.

L.

Hi,

I have heard that Danny Williamson? developed a method of stopping leaks on rebuilt Gardners and his engines are usually beautifully presented.

As has been said most of the leaks are caused by seepage and easily wiped clean - mine seems to have the same problem as yours.... if you want to see real seepage on a Gardner have a look at some of the fairground generating sets.... although there are not too many of these about now.

L.

Probably liberal use of silicone sealant ;)

Tim