Derelict boat lift for sale, £500,000 (With a nice house thrown in)

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Although it's seen easily on their map, what the agents understandably don't describe is the proximity of the place to the road and the main rail route to Exeter, besides a large industrial complex nearby. The Nynehead website describes the boat lift and how it's been extensively cleared in recent times, so you'd probably have the enthusiasts crawling all over the place at weekends, along with ramblers exerting their right of way on the towpath. Nynehead is also one of the Somerset villages prone to flooding.

Apart from that, I don't care for the red tiles in the kitchen.

Edited by johnthebridge

This is the cottage owned by the enthusiast who has enabled/encouraged the revealing of the Nynehurst Lift structure and its recording and preservation and is a stalwart of the local restoration movement. Being a believer in the restoration movement he encouraged all those enthusiasts to crawl all over his land and has always welcomed interested visitors. I've visited the site a couple of times and do not recall any industrial site nor intrusive noise from the railway. Not that I am on commission from the estate agent. . .

Although it's seen easily on their map, what the agents understandably don't describe is the proximity of the place to the road and the main rail route to Exeter, besides a large industrial complex nearby. The Nynehead website describes the boat lift and how it's been extensively cleared in recent times, so you'd probably have the enthusiasts crawling all over the place at weekends, along with ramblers exerting their right of way on the towpath. Nynehead is also one of the Somerset villages prone to flooding.

Apart from that, I don't care for.the red tiles in the kitchen.

The house shown on the estate agent map is the wrong house. The actual property is south of Nynhead along Nynehead rd, there is no railway or industrial property adjacent to it, but a short distance away, Its not unusual for these estate agents not to know where property is on a satellite view!

Edited by Laurence Hogg

That is correct. It's likely the estate agent has taken the post code of the property, but that has Google maps goes to the centre of that post code rather than the individual property. We had just this same problem when seeking a rented property in Shropshire, the agents website sent us a mile away from the house. Not only that, but the detailed directions gained from the agents for us to view was so far out we would never have found it. Instead, I sought the property by gauging the roof style, chimneys, and surrounding trees and through Google Maps hunted it down. No 'street-view' was available either as it was off the beaten track. Same will go for this place - unless you already know it.

The house shown on the estate agent map is the wrong house. The actual property is south of Nynhead along Nynehead rd, there is no railway or industrial property adjacent to it, but a short distance away, Its not unusual for these estate agents not to know where property is on a satellite view!

I haven't looked at the estate agent's map, preferring to rely on my own knowledge of the area. I also made no reference to this place being, as you say, "adjacent " to anything other than a road, and if you'd read my post properly you might have noticed I used the words "proximity" and "nearby" in relation to the railway and industrial site. For that sort of money, that's good enough for me and, in my opinion, this place is overpriced considering it's location and surroundings. No mention as yet from anyone concerning the area's apparent proclivity to flood!

I have read the spec and I think that the principal historical bit (the boat lift) is across the road from the accommodation, so the crawling would be a little more distant.