Joelsanders "the angry boater"

gary955

Featured Posts

Me too, welcome Joel!

I don't know quite why some posters were less than friendly. One of life's mysteries.

Thanks!

A perception that I was here to plug my blog and not contribute in any other way may have been a factor. I see it as a testament to how strongly such members value this forum that they would want to protect its etiquette and style. It's very rare that anyone acts with malice unless they feel there is a reason to.

I don't know why quite so many people found it a good read. One of life's little mysteries.

Such is life.

Good morning Rachael. What would life be like without its little mysteries? (It's rhetorical. Don't feel obliged to focus your mind on that one ).

Glad to see the laptop survived , after all.

Excellent post. I am not sure if anybody has welcomed you to the forum? But may i do so.

I will be subscribing to your blog and therefore probably catch you over there.

I'm off now to take the dog for a walk, where I might take a photo, and pop in the shop, just the local one.

I'll also say i have struggled with some of the attitudes on this forum, of a few, and i find yours a refreshing and honest change. Viva la differance.

Best regards.

dido :)

how truly boring would this life be if we all agreed on every little point.

I really enjoyed your first two offerings, not so much the lock one, but still enjoyed your writing "style". Keep up the good work

Thanks!

A perception that I was here to plug my blog and not contribute in any other way may have been a factor. I see it as a testament to how strongly such members value this forum that they would want to protect its etiquette and style. It's very rare that anyone acts with malice unless they feel there is a reason to.

Good morning Rachael. What would life be like without its little mysteries? (It's rhetorical. Don't feel obliged to focus your mind on that one ).

Glad to see the laptop survived , after all.

Ironically the nay sayers have probably got yourself and blog a great deal more attention than would otherwise have been the case.

Might even sign up to your blog now, Greenie awarded though for post 44 smile.png

Me too, and I think the staggeringly intolerant views of many boaters on here reinforces and supports Joel's perception that there are a lot of angry boaters out there!

I suppressed the urge to point that out and must admit I was hoping someone else would spot it. I'm so glad you did.

Yes, it's exactly the same mindset - intolerance / repressed anger / an inability to give up control / a determination to be seen as "right" - that I explore a lot in the blog. I see it in many boaters (and muggles too) . Sometimes it's explicit, for example on this forum where some feel they can be braver whilst hiding behind their keyboards than they can in real time face to face scenarios (which others might argue is the epitome of cowardice) . Usually though, it's repressed and comes out in other ways.

It interests me so much because that's my baggage too.

For myself, it was those kinds of issues that drove me to find a slower pace of life , hence this floating around thing that I do now. So I figured that - in one form or another - it would also be the story of many other boaters.

After all , why would someone make such a radical lifestyle change to one which - allegedly - centres around calmness & tranquility if they did not feel that calmness & tranquility were things they wanted more of in their life? When I react to it in others though - often with an angry moment of my own - I soon recognise that I'm judging myself more than I am them.... and with that understanding comes a learning opportunity.

I think I have a better understanding of myself and of what it means to be human as a result of this approach. Rather than hide or feel shame about my imperfections , I try to acknowledge them and be transparent.

P.S. Joel's bombshell that he obtained approval from the mods here before embarking on promotion of his blog is something either he, or a mod, could and should have mentioned a whole lot sooner, in my personal opinion.

I felt that too and experienced some self pity & anger when I felt I was being misjudged. On the other hand , by being made to appear more contentious than I was, more people have found this thread and seen the blog. The egocentric side of me will take that over ambivalence or anonymity any day.

I'm on my phone

Bad news. I'm starting to warm to you,

Ironically the nay sayers have probably got yourself and blog a great deal more attention than would otherwise have been the case.

Might even sign up to your blog now, Greenie awarded though for post 44 :)

I was just thinking the same. No such thing as bad publicity etc

dido :)

how truly boring would this life be if we all agreed on every little point.

I really enjoyed your first two offerings, not so much the lock one, but still enjoyed your writing "style". Keep up the good work

Thanks. The lock one wasn't my favourite tbh. It could probably have done with another edit before I put it out there.

The thing is joe if you put your musings into the public domain it will attract comment, some of it will be positive and some it will be negative, it's the way of the world. Anybody who writes and promotes a blog should automatically expect that.

Those of us who do not like your work are not intolerant or naysayers as we have been referred to as (not by you I should add) we just don't like it. We should be allowed to express that without feeling we are committing some sort of faux pas.

There is of course the oft cited on here adage that goes something like 'if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all' unsurprisingly I don't think that works on a discussion forum, it would simply become a backslapping ' concern us forum'. As I said earlier in the other thread people are free to read it as they wish and indeed say they like and appreciate it just as others may not agree and will express that opinion too.

Those of us who do not like your work are not intolerant or naysayers as we have been referred to as (not by you I should add) we just don't like it. We should be allowed to express that without feeling we are committing some sort of faux pas.

(1) But we're all intolerant sometimes. Don't you think?

(2) You are allowed to express the fact that you do not like something without feeling you are committing some kind of faux pas. I am genuinely surprised that you feel that this basic right of yours is not being respected. That's not my perception st all. However, if I open myself to criticism from people who do not like what I post , why would you be exempt from criticism from people who do not like your comments about my post ? What's the difference?

If you like Joel's blog then read and enjoy.

If you don't like it don't read it.

Simples! ;-)

Welcome to the forum Joel!

Thanks Matt... and, if not reading what I write isn't hardcore enough, I noticed there is a settings option on the forum where you can opt to have anyone's posts "ignored". Who's first?

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=ignoredusers

I am afraid to say (and I may be alone on this) that I found the concept of :

"The ony reason I do not moor on water points, lock landings or overstay on vistors moorings is the fear of being caught & fined"

That to me does not show a lot of respect for either the 'Canal Rules' or other boaters.

I shall not be reading the blog.

"The ony reason I do not moor on water points, lock landings or overstay on vistors moorings is the fear of being caught & fined"

That to me does not show a lot of respect for either the 'Canal Rules' or other boaters.

I thought it was refreshingly honest

I think a lot of the people commenting missed the point of the blog as well

It's a great sound bite so thanks for quoting it. Unfortunately, when read in context, it's not as contentious as it appears to be.

However I'm curious - for you - why selfish thoughts / desires are synonymous with showing a lack of respect to the rules or other boaters ? I can understand that it would be utterly disrespectful if i actually did hijack my own water point or stay at your favourite patch for 6 months but can you not differentiate between selfish desires and actual behaviours? If not, you are presumably saying that every single time a selfish thought crosses your mind, you feel that you are being disrespectful ? Or are you claiming that you are incapable of feeling that - sometimes - you want to put your own needs above others?

Edited by Joelsanders

Which in your opinion was?

Self examination and possibly also personal growth. Joel seems to be investigating why he gets angry and considering whether the anger is 'justified' or not. Could he have handled the situation better etc

eta: in contrast to all the 'this incident happened - other boaters are stupid" posts that are all too frequent on here

Edited by LoneWolf

Me too, and I think the staggeringly intolerant views of many boaters on here reinforces and supports Joel's perception that there are a lot of angry boaters out there!

MtB

P.S. Joel's bombshell that he obtained approval from the mods here before embarking on promotion of his blog is something either he, or a mod, could and should have mentioned a whole lot sooner, in my personal opinion.

I've just scrolled back about 6 months of private messages and searched several terms, but can find nothing related to this. Perhaps I'm suffering from amnesia but I don't delete private messages. Any bulletin board out there would hold the same view on spamming it with your blog posts, surely, well the ones I visit would anyway.

Edited by Lady Muck

I've just scrolled back about 6 months of private messages and searched several terms, but can find nothing related to this. Perhaps I'm suffering from amnesia but I don't delete private messages. Any bulletin board out there would hold the same view on spamming it with your blog posts, surely, well the ones I visit would anyway.

March 6th. 3.02 pm. The message was not from you - but from another admin . I simply received advice from one of the team that was incongruent with the forum's rules. It was obviously a mistake - albeit one that caused me some embarrassment. On the other hand, it also brought my blog a lot of unexpected attention.

I absolutely do not want to embarrass the admin who advised me as they did ... which is why I deliberately haven't named them . However, I also wanted to make the point that I was not acting as a total maverick (at least on this occasion). If you feel it's really that important, message me privately and I'll forward the specifics,

Edited by Joelsanders

I think there was some on thread discussion about leaving one thread where Joel could make a post when he updated his blog.

I thought this was a good compromise. As it would allow those of us who are interested in 'anger issues' to have a good discussion with boating (therefore relevant) examples.

I don't think blogs work very well for discussion

This is why we tend to add everyone else in the site crew to any messages that are sent to one admin so we all know whats going on. It may be an oversight in this case.

I think there was some on thread discussion about leaving one thread where Joel could make a post when he updated his blog.

I thought this was a good compromise. As it would allow those of us who are interested in 'anger issues' to have a good discussion with boating (therefore relevant) examples.

I don't think blogs work very well for discussion

Yes i made that suggestion.

This is why we tend to add everyone else in the site crew to any messages that are sent to one admin so we all know whats going on. It may be an oversight in this case.

Yes i made that suggestion.

well it was a darn good one m'lady

perhaps after (i've done some work) i'll start a 'Discussing and Managing Anger' thread and then joel can revive the discussion when he updates his blog with another incident

It's not like he's selling, say, painting courses or anything for financial gain

well it was a darn good one m'lady

perhaps after (i've done some work) i'll start a 'Discussing and Managing Anger' thread and then joel can revive the discussion when he updates his blog with another incident

It's not like he's selling, say, painting courses or anything for financial gain

He doesn't need to be.

As has been said before. What would happen if every blogger posted on here every time they posted a new blog?

The forum would be over run. You can't have one rule for one and one for another. It just wouldn't work.

Not everyone is interested in reading blogs. Why should they have to wade through hundreds of topics proclaiming new blog posts?

Oh dear!

He doesn't need to be.

As has been said before. What would happen if every blogger posted on here every time they posted a new blog?

The forum would be over run. You can't have one rule for one and one for another. It just wouldn't work.

Not everyone is interested in reading blogs. Why should they have to wade through hundreds of topics proclaiming new blog posts?

Oh dear!

yes, i agree with that - hence liking the compromise suggested

Why doesn't joe just post his musings here directly?

What am I missing? Why does it have to be in the form a blog and linked to here, just start a thread and post in that. People can then discuss to their hearts content but in the thread he has started.

But by all means copy and paste it to a blog aswell.