Bentleys

Richardcn

Featured Posts

Does anybody know of a narrrowboat builder named Bentleys and if so are they seen as a 'well respected' builder? The Boat Listing shows about a dozen boats (with various spellings) by this builder but googling reveals very little, although there is apparently a Bentleys Narrowboats listed as being at Crick. Any help or advice muchly appreciated : o)

Richard

If there a link for the boat that you are interested.You will get more feed back , it not necessary a bad boat if the builder only built one or two.

Hi David

Thanks for that suggestion. Early on in our boat search I discovered posts on this forum (via google) where potential buyers were putting up boats for 'review', as you suggest, and I thought what a fabulous 'service' this is. We haven't yet quite got to the point of being serious about a boat but have come close and when I've (briefly) considered posting I've been scared by the idea that I might 'highlight' the boat to other potential buyers (or even 'show our hand' to the broker/seller). I'm sure that is exactly what many people are concerned about but it is obviously a balancing act between being certain enough about a boat to take a look/make an offer and being in the best position to negotiate on a sale, when one knows so very little about the 'game'. In this case though, as it has slipped down our list a little, it may well be worth having it reviewed. So here we go:

http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/images/pdf_files/Pem%20No%206%20Brochure%20Main%20Page.pdf

All comments extremely welcome.

Richard & Paula

Hi David

Thanks for that suggestion. Early on in our boat search I discovered posts on this forum (via google) where potential buyers were putting up boats for 'review', as you suggest, and I thought what a fabulous 'service' this is. We haven't yet quite got to the point of being serious about a boat but have come close and when I've (briefly) considered posting I've been scared by the idea that I might 'highlight' the boat to other potential buyers (or even 'show our hand' to the broker/seller). I'm sure that is exactly what many people are concerned about but it is obviously a balancing act between being certain enough about a boat to take a look/make an offer and being in the best position to negotiate on a sale, when one knows so very little about the 'game'. In this case though, as it has slipped down our list a little, it may well be worth having it reviewed. So here we go:

http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/images/pdf_files/Pem%20No%206%20Brochure%20Main%20Page.pdf

All comments extremely welcome.

Richard & Paula

Have sent you a PM

There's also a Bentleys at Peterborough. 01733 268275. No website though.

Looks a good shell. Perhaps the shell wasn't built by Bentleys, just fitted out. Like Nightwatch. Built by Dave Clarke but fitted out by Bromsgrove boats.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

Hi Martyn

Yes I do remember coming across that in a previous googling session now that you mention it. And that would seem to fit in with the 'Bentleys and Peterborough' in the boat ad. However, I could not find any boats in The Boat Register by a builder with both names. There are about a dozen Bentleys and 3 Peterboroughs but as you say, very little (ie 'zero') info or mention elsewhere!

There's also a Bentleys at Peterborough. 01733 268275. No website though.

Looks a good shell. Perhaps the shell wasn't built by Bentleys, just fitted out. Like Nightwatch. Built by Dave Clarke but fitted out by Bromsgrove boats.

Martyn

Sorry but I missed your you edit. What makes you think it's a good shell? I can only go by name as I know nuuuthing! Also is there a way of identifying the original builder of a boat? It would appear that the information in The Boat Register is provided by owners given the varying levels of data, accuracy and spelling!

Would you suggest I start a new topic to get this boat reviewed? I haven't tended to use forums much in the past so I don't want to use poor etiquette within my first week (if I can help it).

Richard

It just seems to me to be a good shape and proportion. Obviously that does not guarantee quality. Even if built by a highly respected hull builders it would depend on how the boat has been looked after. Of course, the more you know about a boat the better. Stating the obvious, a survey will reveal he true condition and quality.

It's got a very busy interior.

When I stared a thread about Nightwatch, there was a little information. Forthcoming, then it happened. A chap posted that he actually fitted out MY boat. One of just a few that Bromsgrove boats did. He promised me photos but as quick as he arrived, he disappeared again. We've had Nightwatch seven years with no problems with the shell. Touch wood.

Have you viewed this boat? Too lazy to look back.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

No not viewed it yet. It was on a shortlist but about to be rejected if we couldn't find out anything about the builder. Davidc has pm'd me after speaking to the "salesperson" today and he said that it was built by Bentleys OF (not AND) Peterborough so at least I have something more to go on, not much though. I think I'll ask for a review in a new topic to get a broader opinion as it wasn't the original purpose of this thread.

Richard

Just to add a little more detail about Bentleys of Peterborough (and the boat in question) for any future queries.

From what I have discovered (by googling) the company was formed in 2001 but was wound up in 2003/4 after going into receivership. There are 7 narrowboats currently on The Boat Listing that appear to be from this builder (although one states 1999 as the build date?) all of which are 55ft. There may be others around that were not registered at the time the current list was produced and they may be of different sizes but I have no way of knowing. 'Pem No 6' is on the list as "Built by NOT KNOWN" - 56ft 9in. I don't know why it is registered as 'Not Known' as I don't know how the data on the list is gathered (at source) but it does just leave me wondering (although I'm sure there's a simple explanation). Maybe Pem No 6 was a one-off built to order (whilst all the rest were template hulls) or maybe there are other Bentleys out there of a similar size, one can only speculate.

Another forum member has kindly spoken to the broker and pm'd me to say that the boat has "a very professional quality finish to the steelwork". This is from the broker as the boat is at another marina. If we didn't live so damned far away this would be a whole lot easier as we could take a look and (hopefully) find somebody knowlegeable to take a look with us. Because of this I'm thinking that we will have to pass on this boat for now (or at least until we get the chance to head north and see a few boats all in one go). It's just not a sure enough bet for us at this moment in time.

Many thanks for all the help though and we hope that we can call on you again sometime (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Richard & Paula

That looks very expensive for a 57ft 2001 boat. I am about to put my cruiser stern of the same age and similar spec up for sale for a lot less than that. (About 14k less)

If you do get round to looking at that boat be careful about what might be hidden behind all the clutter. Seems like large parts of panelling are concealed.

Dave

Edited by DustyDave

Thanks for the advice Dave. Yeah we were already concerned about the price, to be honest we were hoping (expecting) that it would be reduced before we got the chance to look and either way any offer would have been considerably less than the current advertised price. There are many better boats, in our opinion (especially given the uncertainty about the builder), for a lot less money that have not been selling.

Go on then, pm us your boat details ; o)

Richard

• 1 month later...

Hello Richard,

I own a Bentleys of Peterborough 55' trad - a 2000 build with 38hp Thorneycroft (Mitsubishi I believe). I found this thread when searching for their reputation as well, as I just got off the phone to a broker.

All I can say is that those with boat know that have been aboard and seen the steelwork have been complimentary and we are yet to find fault with it.

Noticing how recent your post is, my interest is piqued!

My wife and I have been liveaboard on her in London for two years but are now looking for a sharpish sell as we have a second baby due. Consequently, she's going in for blacking and a hull survey at Bulls Bridge at the end of May. Let me know if you're interested in taking a look!

The pdf makes the photo's look a little distorted on my pc, but the hull/superstructure shape looks a bit "Eastwood Engineering" to me?

If it is an Eastwood, they were good solid built hulls.

Edit - Ignore that. I don't think Eastwood were still building in 2001

Edited by Proper Job

Maybe it was. There may be a place in Emsworth called Bentleys.

Doesn't matter really.

Martyn

Nope - nowhere in Emsworth called Bentley's. I have lived here pretty much all my life and don't ever remember a Bentley's.

There used to be a Spencers - but it closed about 6 months ago.