Amsterdam Short Break

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

We are looking at having a short break in Amsterdam in the near future and would welcome any ideas on a waterway centric break.

We have looked for self drive boats without much luck but would welcome suggestions such as staying on a houseboat or short cruises.

Thanks in anticipation

Not sure if you're asking about specific accommodation there, which I'm afraid I can't help you with, but the Scheepvaartmuseum on the Kattenburgerplein (waterside, pretty central and near the main Centraal railway station) is well worth a visit. They used to do tours in English and could probably help you with boat trips and possibly accommodation. Also, if it's still going, Werf 'T Kromhout, on the Hoogte Kadijk, (again, central) was a fascinating little museum with various marine engines and artefacts. They have/had a big single which they used to start for visitors. If you get thirsty, there's a great brewery with bar (Brouwerij t'IJ) at the end of the Hoogte Kadijk, about five minutes walk from the Kromhout museum.

If you're into proper boats which, as I see you own Fulbourne, I imagine you are, almost anywhere on the basins around the main station will get your juices flowing (I'm not referring to the ladies who tend to ply for trade around the station), what with the barges and yards etc. Go out a bit further, onto the Noord Zee canal and there'll be even more, plus large cruise and commercial ships. You won't know where to look next! If you fancy a run out and you've time, there's a cracking maritime museum in Sneek, in Friesland. The VVV is the Dutch tourist office, again next to the Centraal station.

Hope you enjoy yourselves.

We are looking at having a short break in Amsterdam in the near future and would welcome any ideas on a waterway centric break.

We have looked for self drive boats without much luck but would welcome suggestions such as staying on a houseboat or short cruises.

Thanks in anticipation

Assuming it is still there, you could always stay at (or is it on) the Boatel which is a floating hotel in the main harbour. At least you would be on water and it is handy for the boat museum and the city centre.

Few years since I used it but the prices were reasonable then.

George ex nb Alton retired

Beaten to it by Geertsmile.png

Edited by furnessvale

A quick google of houseboat rental Amsterdam will give you a range. We stayed on "Karins Houseboat" on Prinsengraaght -just down the way from the Ann Frank Museum. It was fabulous! Not cheap, but as we then cooked and ate at home and spent much of our time sitting on deck or glued to the windows, worth it. There are lots of cheaper ones in the main harbour or on the outskirts of the city. http://www.apartments-unlimited.com/cities/amsterdam/accommodations/karins-houseboat%C2'>

There is also the historic harbour, close to the station. The Netherlands often has these in city centres, and they are a place where people with traditional boats can moor and live. The boat has to look like it did when working, so no modern cabin fittings, etc. There were also displays at the Amsterdam one last time I was there. As mentioned above, 'T Kromhout is excellent.

Take the ferry across the river from the railway station and you can find the end of the North Holland Canal. For a day out, take the train to Enkhuisen, one of the main centres for traditional sailing barges - a group of us used to hire regularly for a few years, and it was cheaper than hiring a canal boat in England. Enkhuisen also has the Zuider Zee Museum, which has a display of wooden canal and coastal craft.

There is also the historic harbour, close to the station. The Netherlands often has these in city centres, and they are a place where people with traditional boats can moor and live. The boat has to look like it did when working, so no modern cabin fittings, etc. .

When I was last there, one of the boats was one I really slavered over. She looked as though she'd come straight out of a 1930' photograph. Smallish luxemotor, very drab looking but immaculate paintwork, all browns and blacks, full mast and loading boom, and a lampstart single Kromhout in her. Lovely.