Space Invaders - New "Angry Boater" blog post

Joelsanders

Featured Posts

So would you really have replied with this?

“I don’t like the way you are speaking,” I snapped, “There is no grace in your tone. You have a cocky & superior sneer. Why is that?”

Unfortunately, yes

I have been thinking about why there are so many arses involved with boating.

Having read your post it would seem that you were the one provoking the reaction. So why feel the nees to write and gloat about it. angry.png

Probably for the same reasons that drove you to post your comment

Moving on though, I have a problem that blog tale. Given the OP found he could alight from the stern of boat once winded, I'm wondering why could he not alight from the fore end in the same way, without winding the boat.

MtB

Cheap housing?

MtB

The mooring spot next to that end of the lock is too short

Hardly.

If you had spoken to me like that I wouldn't have pointed out the error of your ways. I would have just sat back and watched you struggle for a while in front of the many onlookers.

Why help an arse?

Sometimes its just easier to let them make a fool of themselves without any help.

I'm wondering why the chap with the windlass, having identified the problem caused by a slightly raised paddle, could not simply have used his windlass and lowered it.

I suspect because the OP said he didnt know why the lock wouldnt work rolleyes.gif

I can't claim I wouldn't have reacted in the same way, faced with that situation, but it's easier to pretend I would have said 'D'oh' with a smile, and perhaps tap self on head.

However, to consider another bit of the same blog post, there's nothing to stop you from going through a lock backwards, Doesn't half confuse people!

I have not tried it yet. I think this would confuse me too though

I'm wondering why the chap with the windlass, having identified the problem caused by a slightly raised paddle, could not simply have used his windlass and lowered it.

Hardly.

If you had spoken to me like that I wouldn't have pointed out the error of your ways. I would have just sat back and watched you struggle for a while in front of the many onlookers.

Why help an arse?

Sometimes its just easier to let them make a fool of themselves without any help.

I suspect because the OP said he didnt know why the lock wouldnt work rolleyes.gif

You would be entirely justified too.

Perhaps the OP was using a little artistic licence in retelling the tale?

So would you really have replied with this?

“I don’t like the way you are speaking,” I snapped, “There is no grace in your tone. You have a cocky & superior sneer. Why is that?”

No, I'm not saying that, but I think it's honest to imagine that I may well have reacted in a less than pleasant manner. I hope I would have gone the D'oh route, but I know me quite well.

Perhaps the OP was using a little artistic licence in retelling the tale?

No, I'm not saying that, but I think it's honest to imagine that I may well have reacted in a less than pleasant manner. I hope I would have gone the D'oh route, but I know me quite well.

So someone pointing out, after you have already said to them that you dont know why a lock wont work, would provoke an angry reaction?

Perhaps we live in a completely different planet unsure.png

Thanks for posting another blog - personally i find them amusing and insightful.. nothing spammy about this at all - it's a link to a boating blog!

Was there no lock-landing here Joel? Not familiar with this lock, but i imagine someone was moored on it?

Me 2!

Thanks for posting another blog - personally i find them amusing and insightful.. nothing spammy about this at all - it's a link to a boating blog!

Was there no lock-landing here Joel? Not familiar with this lock, but i imagine someone was moored on it?

Me 2!

Appreciated. Yes, but there is only a short landing there.It's an odd one

It makes you wonder if boating makes him so angry why he continues to do itfrusty.gif

If I avoided everything that has the potential to make me angry, I might as well be catatonic

If I avoided everything that has the potential to make me angry, I might as well be catatonic

clapping.gif

Indeed! I think you're rather brave, single handing through london in a 62 footer - and Camden "gongoozlers" i would imagine are the craziest bunch - my mate had 6 drunks try to get on his boat in camden a few years ago!

Joel writes a self reflective blog.

He's human like everybody else. He makes mistakes, he cocks up, he has bad days, he can get in a really grumpy mood and when he does somebody else can get the brunt of that.

He also has the ability to reflect on that lot, recognise his vulnerabilities, and work out where he went wrong.

He also has the ability and the guts to write about that - self identified warts and all.

A lot of what happened in that exchange with the guy helping was Joel's own fault but he knows that now.

I see no gloating.

• Greenie 3

He's human like everybody else. He makes mistakes, he cocks up, he has bad days, he can get in a really grumpy mood and when he does somebody else can get the brunt of that.

He also has the ability to reflect on that lot, recognise his vulnerabilities, and work out where he went wrong.

He also has the ability and the guts to write about that - self identified warts and all.

A lot of what happened in that exchange with the guy helping was Joel's own fault but he knows that now.

I see no gloating.

That's just what i wanted to say but you put it better! clapping.gif

I see no gloating.

I agree with you there. I enjoyed the OP's thread and I think a lot of people (if they were honest with themselves) can see a bit of themselves in that post.

By posting negative slanderous comments you are falling into the "should" crowd.

I wonder if the guy with the windlass is also writing a blog post wondering what he did to get a reaction like the OP's when he pointed out the raised paddle.

People have different ways of talking. To the OP the guy might have sounded sarcastic where the guy in his own mind could have just been light hearted. That's also why some topics on here go the way they do.

If someone was struggling with a gate and said to me "I don't know why" I would think a quite acceptable reply would be "because you've left a paddle open".

If I was the OP I don't think I'd let it bother me. I certainly wouldn't blog about it.

I wonder if the guy with the windlass is also writing a blog post wondering what he did to get a reaction like the OP's when he pointed out the raised paddle.

People have different ways of talking. To the OP the guy might have sounded sarcastic where the guy in his own mind could have just been light hearted. That's also why some topics on here go the way they do.

If someone was struggling with a gate and said to me "I don't know why" I would think a quite acceptable reply would be "because you've left a paddle open".

If I was the OP I don't think I'd let it bother me. I certainly wouldn't blog about it.

I totally agree.

I made a point of not reading "Angry Boater" before, because the very title made me feel I did not want to read it.

However a lot of people seemed to think the previous posting was fine reading, so I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and read this one.

It's not often I disagree with some who have posted in support here, but this is one blog I'll not be bothering with again.

It seems to me that the person you are getting "angry" about has done nothing wrong at all, other than point out what you don't appear to have worked out for yourself up until that point(!) If the nuance is supposed to be that you are actually taking a poke at yourself, rather than him, that's not how it comes across to me.

Sorry!

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 3

I think the answer is easy for those who do not appreciate the content of blog is indeed just not to read it.

I too read some of the earlier stuff and decided it's not for me, it just don't see the point really. Of course it is a free country and people are free to like and appreciate many different things so blog away, clearly it has an appeal to some.

Edited by The Dog House

Whilst I don't agree with every opinion expressed in the posts, I do appreciate the way in which Joel writes. I am not an avid reader of blogs, but some which I have sampled fall into the "Dick and Jane came round and we had sandwich cake for tea" level of mundanity, if such a word exists.* Joel's output is far more readable and stimulating than that.

* If it doesn't, it damn' well should.

Whilst I don't agree with every opinion expressed in the posts, I do appreciate the way in which Joel writes. I am not an avid reader of blogs, but some which I have sampled fall into the "Dick and Jane came round and we had sandwich cake for tea" level of mundanity, if such a word exists.* Joel's output is far more readable and stimulating than that.

* If it doesn't, it damn' well should.

Yes stimulating in a way that makes you want to throw your laptop out into the car park so you don't have to read such shite.

• Greenie 1

... I think a lot of people (if they were honest with themselves) can see a bit of themselves in that post.

Well, being wholly honest, I can't see anything of myself in the OP's reaction. At all. Nor do I recognise that behaviour manifested in any of my friends.

As IanM says, I'd like to see the other bloke's blog. It would be more justified and probably funnier.