good engine?

paneuro

Featured Posts

In general Lister LPWS series have a good reputation of being reliable units - provided like all engines, they are looked after and serviced at specified intervals.

We have the LPWS3 version in our boat, in approximately 16 years it has done 3,000 odd running hours with no major issues.

I do not know what size boat you want the engine for but ours is a 45 footer and the engine is more than adequate for canal use. It copes on rivers too.

I passed on a boat last year that had a LPWS4 because the service history could only confirm yearly oil changes, and an oil test suggested bottom end wear. They are reliable engines but regular oil changes in accordance with the manufacturers spec are essential. I think this is more so with the LPWS range as opposed to the LPW's because of the higher compression ratio

What is good, particularly about the 2 cylinder version is they are very light - Geoff at Marine Power Services who is a member of the forum and was very helpful, reckoned even the 4 cylinder could be lifted out of a boat by two men. Geoff reconditions a lot of these motors and I would have gone for that boat if the owner had allowed for the engine rebuild costs but they wouldn't budge.

Perhaps this year I should take a notebook on board and keep a log of how many hours the engine runs for. A rough guesstimate suggests in the region of 300 but I really don't know. That's a good tip regarding timing of oil change, thanks.

It's easier to wire one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hour-meter-6-80V-Counter-Tech-Generator-Car-Boat-Motorcycle-ATV-Dirt-Bike-12V-/360735159789?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item53fd7db5ed

to a 12v supply that is live when the engine is running (and not when it isn't)

That will keep count of the running hours for you

Richard

Thanks, but finding such a supply to wire it to sounds far too complicated. I'll buy a notebook.

Absolute doddle Mr A. Find the wire from the ignition switch to the alternator warning lamp and bridge into that for the pos (fused), then find a suitable earth for the neg. Job done and close to where you could install it in/near to the instrument panel.

Roger

Absolute doddle Mr A. Find the wire from the ignition switch to the alternator warning lamp and bridge into that for the pos (fused), then find a suitable earth for the neg. Job done and close to where you could install it in/near to the instrument panel.

Roger

And if you "bridge in" on the alternator side of the warning lamp bulb the counter may well not work when the ignition is on and the engine not running. This will also save you a fuse because if the new wiring did short circuit all it would do is put the warning lamp on and probably prevent the alternator energising at first start. It would not cause a fire.

You've got me a little worried there. We have our engine (not a Lister) serviced and the oil changed annually. Should we be having it done more often?

The comments I made might apply to other engines but specifically Lister LPWS types, certainly the older ones, I'm fairly sure require a change every 100 hours. And you must use a detergent oil. It's to do with the high compression ratio of the indirect injection engines forcing more "stuff" past the pistons and into the oil, I believe.

I doubt many LPWS engines get this treatment, so unless there is proof of the above requirements having been met, I would tread carefully. Having said that the cost of rebuilding a 2 cylinder can't be huge, but it is still a negotiating point on a boat for sale.

And if you "bridge in" on the alternator side of the warning lamp bulb the counter may well not work when the ignition is on and the engine not running. This will also save you a fuse because if the new wiring did short circuit all it would do is put the warning lamp on and probably prevent the alternator energising at first start. It would not cause a fire.

Spot on Tony but I was assuming that Athy wasn't going to leave his ignition on and the engine not running for any significant length of time. Bearing in mind that we're only looking for rough hours here, not down to minutes.

Roger