River Nene open!

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

and back on again today. I am not surprised, given the amount of water I saw from the railway viaduct just north of Wolverton ....

Been raining steadily all day here, South of Cambridge. Given the state of the land, the rivers will be twitchy for some time, I fear.

MP.

Bound to be as any new rain will run into the rivers very quickly now. I'm safely back at Oundle marina for a few days waiting for the level to drop enough to get under Islip bridge and continue onto the GU. The cruise up from Peterborough was fine. Still a good flow on the river and some of the lock approaches from downstream were interesting due to the amount of water coming through the sluices.

smile.png awoke to a beautiful sun shinying day, with the most wonderous sight of a boat sailing past....here on the Nene, aint seen any for what seems an age.

moi even cleaned the boat smile.png

Spent the day cruising from Oundle to Irthlingborough. It's been an absolutely beautiful day on the river lets hope it's a good omen for the summer ahead.

twas a wonderful day indeedy, moi has to go to work for a few hours ..but will be back at moi mooring after 1pm, so if you are passing around that time or laters, look out for the pretty green very shiny boat lol..

p.s. if you see a bespectacled curly haired maiden waving happily..Dont panic ..will only be moi :)

Edited by tree

Aww..moi missed meggers of this parish today, whilst moi was stranded at Northampton uni..norty students ..and had plenty of choccie cake stashed away ( any excuse for cake :)

Never fear lol all is not lost as he still may hear moi dulcet tones ringing out, on the Northampton arm, as moi is on clearing vegetation/ burning rubbish duty the morrow. Hmm.. Not sure where abouts they gonner chuck moi ..ERM ..no not in the cut ;)

Moi has sturdy boots, hi VI's top, gloves, and saw ..most importantly..flask and sarnies :)

Aww..moi missed meggers of this parish today, whilst moi was stranded at Northampton uni..norty students ..and had plenty of choccie cake stashed away ( any excuse for cake smile.png

Never fear lol all is not lost as he still may hear moi dulcet tones ringing out, on the Northampton arm, as moi is on clearing vegetation/ burning rubbish duty the morrow. Hmm.. Not sure where abouts they gonner chuck moi ..ERM ..no not in the cut wink.png

Moi has sturdy boots, hi VI's top, gloves, and saw ..most importantly..flask and sarnies smile.png

Sorry I missed you. I'm leaving Northampton around 9 this morning so I'll keep an eye open for a bespectacled wavy haired maiden in high vis.

I'll be the bespectacled grey (thinning) haired chap on the back of the dark green and decidedly not shiny boat, unless I've fallen off.

I will be accompanied by a chap called Liam who I kindly offered to help me through the locks.

Must be another one doing this, we were locked down the Rothersthorpe flight by a Leon who was/ is a homeless person and "likes" a drink

Or there's a confusion between "Liam" and "Leon". The homeless person who likes a drink is who I'm thinking about.

MP.

Never fear lol all is not lost as he still may hear moi dulcet tones ringing out, on the Northampton arm, as moi is on clearing vegetation/ burning rubbish duty the morrow. Hmm.. Not sure where abouts they gonner chuck moi ..ERM ..no not in the cut ;)

Moi has sturdy boots, hi VI's top, gloves, and saw ..most importantly..flask and sarnies :)

ahh i signed up for that, but am away this week. Maybe see you next time?

Sorry I misheard him his name is Leon. A Geordie who told me he lives in a barn near the top of the flight. Seemed sober enough to me and did a good job locking me up all 16.

its definitely Liam, he doesn't like helping us cos we refuse to pay him, although he did yesterday as he was bored! Not a bad bloke as long as you can weed out the bs!

Has he still got a windlass? I gave him one when we came down because he had lost his.

Afraid not he had to use my windlass and BW key.

ahh i signed up for that, but am away this week. Maybe see you next time?

its definitely Liam, he doesn't like helping us cos we refuse to pay him, although he did yesterday as he was bored! Not a bad bloke as long as you can weed out the bs!

If I weeded out the BS there would be nothing left laugh.png

smile.png purple fairie, look forward to meeting up again at the next one smile.png

whoops!!! missed you again meggers, as moi only joined the rest of the work party around 9.40 am..and only 1 boat came through the lock whilst we were there, and we finished at 2 pm. Glad you had help through the flight smile.png

We were at the top of the flight me thinks next to the brewery and moi is trying to think where the barn is , as if moi knew then could have left some food for the chap, never mind what will be will be.

If anyone else is thinking of joining and helping out on one of the work parties, let me say its was a lot of fun, hard work but nether the less fun, and everyone didnt mind moi singing lol..so if you would like details of when the next ones are .. then pm moi for details...I did inform one of the organisers that I would mention it on here.

Moi is not a member of the IWA ..just wanted to help out a lickle whenever moi can smile.png

whoopsie daisy lol had to edit a bit as you dont need to be a member to go along and help ...moi is in a puddle as the ruddy river has just dropped levels again grrr... and thankfully next door moorer .. sorted out moi ropes as moi busy working on grr... tax stuff.

de end ;)

Edited by tree

:) purple fairie, look forward to meeting up again at the next one :)

whoops!!! missed you again meggers, as moi only joined the rest of the work party around 9.40 am..and only 1 boat came through the lock whilst we were there, and we finished at 2 pm. Glad you had help through the flight :)

We were at the top of the flight me thinks next to the brewery and moi is trying to think where the barn is , as if moi knew then could have left some food for the chap, never mind what will be will be.

If anyone else is thinking of joining and helping out on one of the work parties, let me say its was a lot of fun, hard work but nether the less fun, and everyone didnt mind moi singing lol..so if you would like details of when the next ones are .. then pm moi for details...I did inform one of the organisers that I would mention it on here.

Moi is not a member of the IWA ..just wanted to help out a lickle whenever moi can :)

whoopsie daisy lol had to edit a bit as you dont need to be a member to go along and help ...moi is in a puddle as the ruddy river has just dropped levels again grrr... and thankfully next door moorer .. sorted out moi ropes as moi busy working on grr... tax stuff.

de end ;)

The working parties have certainly made a big difference. The lower section from lock 14-16 used to be almost impassable in places due to the encroaching reed beds but it's now much better. Many thanks to those who helped.

The brewery is at the bottom of the flight. The barn he pointed out was in a field on the north side opposite lock 3 or 4. Although as purple fairie says he does talk a lot of nonsense so I'm not sure he does live in the barn.