Solar recommendations please

Horsehorn

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Any suggestions for quality grade 100W or 200W solar panels that don't cost the earth and are not made from the scrappings off the factory floor? Looking for the ones that come mounted in a titlable frame that can be either locked or bolted to the roof (narrowboat). Ideally looking for a company that sells kits, to make it easier for me to install (electrical novice short on time). Having looked at various sites and on ebay it's hard to discern quality manufactuers. Looking for a total of 200W.

I know the merits of MPPG Vs PWM charge controllers, but it may come down to price.

What's the difference between 12v and 24v kits?

Thanks!

Lucy

Hi all,

Any suggestions for quality grade 100W or 200W solar panels that don't cost the earth and are not made from the scrappings off the factory floor? Looking for the ones that come mounted in a titlable frame that can be either locked or bolted to the roof (narrowboat). Ideally looking for a company that sells kits, to make it easier for me to install (electrical novice short on time). Having looked at various sites and on ebay it's hard to discern quality manufactuers. Looking for a total of 200W.

I know the merits of MPPG Vs PWM charge controllers, but it may come down to price.

Thanks!

Lucy

I assume you mean difference between 12V & 24V controllers?

If so, you need one that is the same voltage as your battery bank.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Lucy

Solar panels are pretty standard just with different brand names.

They generally come in a rigid alloy frame. There's all sorts of bracketry available for fixing tilting etc.

Personally I would go for a single 200w + panel, the type used on houses and rig it with a MPPT controller.

Bimble solar have some good stuff.

http://www.bimblesolar.com/solar

Solar panels are pretty standard just with different brand names.

They generally come in a rigid alloy frame. There's all sorts of bracketry available for fixing tilting etc.

Personally I would go for a single 200w + panel, the type used on houses and rig it with a MPPT controller.

Bimble solar have some good stuff.

http://www.bimblesolar.com/solar

Wow, they've got some good prices too!

Looking for the ones that come mounted in a titlable frame that can be either locked or bolted to the roof (narrowboat). Ideally looking for a company that sells kits, to make it easier for me to install (electrical novice short on time). Having looked at various sites and on ebay it's hard to discern quality manufactuers. Looking for a total of 200W.

If you are short of time/experience then I can recommend Tim at Onboard Solar. ( www.onboardsolar.co.uk ) He has the tilt mounted panels and controllers you might be looking for. He will fit them for you included in the price.

No connection, satisfied customer.

Ken

Thanks all, will check out Bimble and Onboard Solar. Can only get 200W b0atman as can't afford any more! Cheers, Lucy

Hi Lucy, have you checked out Bimble's delivery charges? £30 for first panel thereafter £3 for each subsequent panel.

Good luck, Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

I bought mine from Rotherham solar 100 yards up the road its all 36v stuff 240 watts and a tracer MPPT controller the panels were left overs from house jobs so were £100 each it all works well. So check out local deals you never know your luck

Peter